Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

crank brothers cobalt foam grips

anyone tried these yet? locking and only 65g per pair stated on site.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    When the foam wears out...you're now stuck with four useless locking clamps. Get Bontrager Race X Lite - 23g with plugs, and much more economical.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Cuánto pesa?
    You can lighten up everything...
    BUT, it's all about rolling resistance...

mtbr member
    65 grams......awfully heavy for what it is.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    No you're not... you can cut the foam off and then wrap the plastic tubes with handlebar tape. Which can be gotten in gel, cork, vinyl, foam, and cloth varieties with varying comfort to weight ratios.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    No you're not... you can cut the foam off and then wrap the plastic tubes with handlebar tape. Which can be gotten in gel, cork, vinyl, foam, and cloth varieties with varying comfort to weight ratios.
    But then why not just wrap the bare H/Bar?

Forgive me if i am missing some sarcasm.

Well one reason would be if you're in the habit of moving/changing parts often on the bike. Locking grips are quick on/off, useful when you're switching shifters and brake levers about, or planning a bar swap in the future.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    site says they sell replacable foam grips for them

mtbr member
    i think this is just dumb. making quick changes will still be difficult as foam grips stick to handlebars like glue. they are difficult to get on or off nevermind sliding around on the bar...that is non-existant.

Ummmm... like all lockon grips... the grip surface is fitted around a plastic or aluminium tube which is what slides onto the bar. At no time does the foam make contact with the bar itself.

mtbr member
    Ummmm... like all lockon grips... the grip surface is fitted around a plastic or aluminium tube which is what slides onto the bar. At no time does the foam make contact with the bar itself.
    you're right...that makes more sense to me now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    These look nice. I just spent 30 minutes with compressed air and lots of swearing to get my foam grips off my last bars (I did use some spray adhesive...woops). I could be convinced these are sweet.
    El Guapoooooooo

Since I tend to prefer cork grips (which need to be glued in place usually), I do use locking grips until I've finalized my bar/lever/shifter setups and can then glue the final grips in place.

Category Winner
    Since I tend to prefer cork grips (which need to be glued in place usually), I do use locking grips until I've finalized my bar/lever/shifter setups and can then glue the final grips in place.

Word:

Waiting to put my foamies on when I get the bar length dialed in.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Somehow Crankbrothers will manage to produce a grip that falls apart like the rest of their stuff. I'm not sure how they'll do it, but give it a few months and we will be on here saying how these are the worst things ever.

mtbr member
    Any update on how these are holding up? anyone...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have ridden a handfull of times on mine so far and they seem fine. They are the first foam grips that I have ever had so they are a little different than my other bikes. Mine weighted 73g on my Park scale. One thing that I don't care for is the small Torx screw on the lock rings. I wish it was just a plain allen.

Shread Ready
    Any more feedback on these? They look pretty decent. Thx

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ESI's are much better. Get a pair!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I put them on my trail bike to shave a few grams and they're pretty good. Not as comfy as rogue lockons that I normally use, but not a deal breaker either. Lock-on is a requirement for me so when I swapped out to grip shift, I was bummed they didn't make a grip shift length.

A little creativity, and these puppies shortened right up:

65g before the shortening mod without endcaps, 58 grams after mod - replaced a set of 100+ gram grips. I prefer the torx, since the screws are so small, they'd probably strip if they were allens. Had to tighten these a bit more than my ODI's since the part that contacts the bar is plastic and requires a little more clamping force to keep from slipping.

Overall, I'd buy them again.

The Cheater
    I have those on mine right now. Got them because of the blue accents, nothing more. They came out weighted to be 68gr. If you want ultimate grip lightness, use the Scott AT4 Foam that's 32gr but thicker foam than the Cobalt and more secure. The model is "AT4" so make sure you get that one.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks
    I put them on my trail bike to shave a few grams and they're pretty good. Not as comfy as rogue lockons that I normally use, but not a deal breaker either. Lock-on is a requirement for me so when I swapped out to grip shift, I was bummed they didn't make a grip shift length.

A little creativity, and these puppies shortened right up:

65g before the shortening mod without endcaps, 58 grams after mod - replaced a set of 100+ gram grips. I prefer the torx, since the screws are so small, they'd probably strip if they were allens. Had to tighten these a bit more than my ODI's since the part that contacts the bar is plastic and requires a little more clamping force to keep from slipping.

Overall, I'd buy them again.

How did you take them apart to shorten? I took mine off to look but didn't want to break them messing around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MaukaRunner
    How did you take them apart to shorten? I took mine off to look but didn't want to break them messing around.
    I rolled the foam off the plastic core, then cut the a section out of the middle of the plastic core tube. Then clamped the two halves to an aluminum bar, and used a soldering iron to melt them back together. Then I cut down the foam cover and re-rolled it back onto the plastic core.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I have installed them on my hardtail a short time ago. They are fine, but I do not like how the clamps protrude out. They catch my finger if I move my hand around. I would switch to regular foams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i think people are not looking at the reason why they actually WOULD make these grips, instead just looking at the negatives. If you look at it from the point of view of fixing a problem it makes sense to me. I have been using ESI racers mostly, but here and there use other foam grips.
    The 2 biggest problems is first like everyone stated that you can easily take these on and off which is a big problem with ESI's for me. Not only for changing parts like brakes/shifters or the handlebars, but when its time to replace the grips its annoying to get the old ones off and the new ones on (no i wont use a razor to cut off the old ones from a set of carbon bars).
    The second reason being that i constantly ruin foam grips when i cut it too close and rub a tree, which is really annoying and cuts the grips life span in half.

So while i wouldnt go buy these myself, i can understand why they would make them. Try and look at it from another point of view is all im trying to relay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast