Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    need more bikes!
    Reputation: BOhNSAI!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    100

    Continental Explorers Supersonics

    I just got my Conti Supersonics Thursday. Can't wait to try them out

    Their weights were 458.5 and 479.5. I can understand a tire being 8.5 grams off advertised weight, but being 29.5 grams off! That 21 grams more than the other tire Anybody else see this with their tires.

    I'll let everyone know how they feel once winter dies and I build my new bike.

    BTW, I work in the rubber industry and it is possible to accurately control the weights of molded rubber parts. It's just lots of work. My guess is that weight discrepancy has more to do with casings and beads.
    Last edited by BOhNSAI!!!; 01-21-2006 at 07:48 AM.
    "someone set up us the bomb" No puedo sentirme las piernas

    04 Stinky Primo for sale. Please buy it so I can buy more bikes, Please!

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770
    Quote Originally Posted by BOhNSAI!!!
    I just got my Conti Supersonics Thursday. Can't wait to try them out

    Their weights were 458.5 and 479.5. I can understand a tire being 8.5 grams off advertised weight, but being 29.5 grams off! That 21 grams more than the other tire Anybody else see this with their tires.

    I'll let everyone know how they feel once winter dies and I build my new bike.

    BTW, I work in the rubber industry and it is possible to accurately control the weights of molded rubber parts. It's just lots of work. My guess is that weight discrepancy has more to do with casings and beads.
    i used to run those Contis about 2 years ago but since i replaced them with the Nokian NBX Lite 2.0 i won't never ever go back. the Explorer is sure a pretty good do-it-all tire but the Nokian is just worlds ahead in about every single aspect:

    Conti Explorer SS weigh between 440-480g (same than the Nokian which weigh between 450-500g)

    the Nokain has much more grip and is much faster rolling. using the explorers "tubeless" with a tubelesskit is a pain.they have extremely porous sidewalls and are harder to get sealed than the Nokians. as i always pointed out the Nokians are 5% faster than the Contis so no contest if speed is a factor.

  3. #3
    need more bikes!
    Reputation: BOhNSAI!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i used to run those Contis about 2 years ago but since i replaced them with the Nokian NBX Lite 2.0 i won't never ever go back. the Explorer is sure a pretty good do-it-all tire but the Nokian is just worlds ahead in about every single aspect:

    Conti Explorer SS weigh between 440-480g (same than the Nokian which weigh between 450-500g)

    the Nokain has much more grip and is much faster rolling. using the explorers "tubeless" with a tubelesskit is a pain.they have extremely porous sidewalls and are harder to get sealed than the Nokians. as i always pointed out the Nokians are 5% faster than the Contis so no contest if speed is a factor.
    I used to have some regular Nokian NBX 2.5's but didn't much care for them.

    Granted they were the 2.5 version and the terrain I was riding in likes tioga tires more than anything else.

    I might give them a try then since you said the conti are more porous for tubeless (which is how I planned on running them)

    Speed will definately be an issue since they are going on my race bike.
    "someone set up us the bomb" No puedo sentirme las piernas

    04 Stinky Primo for sale. Please buy it so I can buy more bikes, Please!

  4. #4
    That's right....
    Reputation: Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    779
    the explorer has been my designated front tire for about 4 years now.
    whether its super fast and dry or really rocky and haggard i ALWAYS run an explorer on the front. its not much to rave about on the rear however.... :-)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    205
    I think that sealing the Nokians is also a pain. Have tried everything and gave up. I'm riding Racing Ralph/Nobby Nic and sealed in a minute. I realy wanted to try the Nokian, but I'm very satisfied with my combo.

  6. #6
    I <3 29ers
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,940
    As if I wasn't impatient enough for mine! Oh well, they'll hopefully be in through this week sometime. These will put the NRS into the 24.something-pound range. I'll post the weights just for comparison's sake.

    Do the Supersonic's have a much thinner carcass than the Protection's? Significant, or "just a little"?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  7. #7
    That's right....
    Reputation: Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    779
    the casing on the Protection conti's isnt terribly thick to begin with, the casing on the SS's is slightly thinner, however ive never noticed a difference when riding.

  8. #8
    I <3 29ers
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    the casing on the Protection conti's isnt terribly thick to begin with, the casing on the SS's is slightly thinner, however ive never noticed a difference when riding.
    Did it affect your tube pressure in any way? Meaning, did you feel you needed more/less pressure to compensate the difference in thickness?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  9. #9
    That's right....
    Reputation: Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    779
    i always ran my protection version right around 38-40psi with no problems. not a flat on that tire in 4 years (knock on wood). when i got the SS version i tried running it around the same pressure and pinch flatted about 5 minutes into my ride.
    i bumped up the pressure to the high 40s and havent had a problem since.

  10. #10
    I <3 29ers
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    i always ran my protection version right around 38-40psi with no problems. not a flat on that tire in 4 years (knock on wood). when i got the SS version i tried running it around the same pressure and pinch flatted about 5 minutes into my ride.
    i bumped up the pressure to the high 40s and havent had a problem since.
    Wow, i'm such a lightweight! I run mine (Pro's) at 30-32 and never an issue - and I "don't ride nice". I don't pay attention to trail features or anything, I just roll over everything and no fla- umm, I won't say it, just in case (knocks on wood also).

    Thank you very much!!!! All helpful info.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,237

    carefull if running "tube less"

    I ran these (as well as the Explorer Pros) "tube less" and in both tires the rubber degraded destroying the tires. I ran the Nokian NBX lite 2.0 without a problem tube less, but had durrability issues with the Nokians.

    Currently running the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs tubeless without a single problem. Though the RR do not offer as much traction.......they have been more - trouble free for me. I am going to pick up a set of the Nobbie Nicks to see how these perform (more traction).

    KMan

    Quote Originally Posted by BOhNSAI!!!
    I just got my Conti Supersonics Thursday. Can't wait to try them out

    Their weights were 458.5 and 479.5. I can understand a tire being 8.5 grams off advertised weight, but being 29.5 grams off! That 21 grams more than the other tire Anybody else see this with their tires.

    I'll let everyone know how they feel once winter dies and I build my new bike.

    BTW, I work in the rubber industry and it is possible to accurately control the weights of molded rubber parts. It's just lots of work. My guess is that weight discrepancy has more to do with casings and beads.

  12. #12
    need more bikes!
    Reputation: BOhNSAI!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    I ran these (as well as the Explorer Pros) "tube less" and in both tires the rubber degraded destroying the tires. I ran the Nokian NBX lite 2.0 without a problem tube less, but had durrability issues with the Nokians.

    Currently running the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs tubeless without a single problem. Though the RR do not offer as much traction.......they have been more - trouble free for me. I am going to pick up a set of the Nobbie Nicks to see how these perform (more traction).

    KMan
    What kind of durability issues did you have with the Nokians?

    I kinda want to try the Nobbie Nics but the price sorta shuns me away. I'm already breaking the bank with me new bike as it is Right now Beyond Bikes has the Nokians for about $66 a pair, which I think is a pretty good deal.

    I'm thinking of just goin ahead and throwing the Contis on my other bike since I can't for the life of me make the rims tubeless. I've tried everything save using stan's rim strips.
    "someone set up us the bomb" No puedo sentirme las piernas

    04 Stinky Primo for sale. Please buy it so I can buy more bikes, Please!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,237

    Issues...

    My issues were simple - cut easy and a few torn knobs. I'm 185 lbs riding a FS bike and am extremely light in components. I ride/race the Mid-Atlantic in the US (DE, MD, PA,NJ) and most of the trails here are pretty tame.

    KMan

    Quote Originally Posted by BOhNSAI!!!
    What kind of durability issues did you have with the Nokians?

    I kinda want to try the Nobbie Nics but the price sorta shuns me away. I'm already breaking the bank with me new bike as it is Right now Beyond Bikes has the Nokians for about $66 a pair, which I think is a pretty good deal.

    I'm thinking of just goin ahead and throwing the Contis on my other bike since I can't for the life of me make the rims tubeless. I've tried everything save using stan's rim strips.

  14. #14
    need more bikes!
    Reputation: BOhNSAI!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    My issues were simple - cut easy and a few torn knobs. I'm 185 lbs riding a FS bike and am extremely light in components. I ride/race the Mid-Atlantic in the US (DE, MD, PA,NJ) and most of the trails here are pretty tame.

    KMan
    Friends of mine had the same issue with the NBXs and on mine they wore quickly and didn't take well to the terrain (south central Ohio)

    Maybe I should just take the plunge and try some nobbie nics
    "someone set up us the bomb" No puedo sentirme las piernas

    04 Stinky Primo for sale. Please buy it so I can buy more bikes, Please!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    511
    Supersonics with Stan's worked great for me 32-37psi depending on terrain.

    Did Leadville 100 on them, 0 flats
    Did Leadville 50 on them, 0 flats
    Did Vermont 50 on them, 0 flats

    In between I did 2 seasons of local races here in the midwest, 0 flats.

    I'll also add in the 150 miles of pleasure riding out in the Rockies after doing the LV50, 0 flats.

    Oh I did have one issue with the Stan's strip, had the dreaded valve stem failure...sealed it up with some tubular glue then I did that Vermont 50.

    Shane

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,237

    Your lucky or I'm unlucky...

    Take your pick.
    All I know is the inside of both my Supersonics and Explorer Pros, the rubber started to degrade and since the sidewall strenth was no longer there....a hugh bubble started to form on the sidewalls of the tires. Now I am using a "homemade" sealant soultion which usually is made up of only Latex and water.....I may have added some windex at one time or another, but I don't remenber if I had any windex in the solution at that time or not. I may actually try buying a bottle of Stans solution, just to see what it is like nowdays.

    KMan


    Quote Originally Posted by SKullman
    Supersonics with Stan's worked great for me 32-37psi depending on terrain.

    Did Leadville 100 on them, 0 flats
    Did Leadville 50 on them, 0 flats
    Did Vermont 50 on them, 0 flats

    In between I did 2 seasons of local races here in the midwest, 0 flats.

    I'll also add in the 150 miles of pleasure riding out in the Rockies after doing the LV50, 0 flats.

    Oh I did have one issue with the Stan's strip, had the dreaded valve stem failure...sealed it up with some tubular glue then I did that Vermont 50.

    Shane

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •