mtbr member

Conti Explorer Pro's.....shocked to see weight

I use to run Explorer Pros all the time with never a problem tubed or tubeless and thought they were great tires. Weights from what I recall was in the neighborhood of 550 grams for size 2.1's. The older German made tires were lighter than the newer asian productions. I went off to try different and lighter tires...Explorer Supersonics at around 450 grams....Nokian NBX lights around 465 grams. Twister Supersonics, etc. All had some sort of problem for me and the search has continued.
    I just bought a set of Conti Explorer Pros off Ebay to throw on my single speed and low and behold these tires weight 503 and 504 grams. Pretty decent weight for a fast rolling (great front tire....ok rear tire) tire...especiall a 2.1.

Just a FYI when I have nothing else do to

KMan

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    500-525g is normal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned

the last 6 i got were all light...

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    500-525g is normal.
    the last 6 Explorer pros i got all were around 500g. also to my surprise as they usually are around 520-530g.
    seems they have a new mold or something..? that'^s a great weight for such a do-it-all tire. i will use them in about 1 month when i'm going for 1 wek bike holidays in Italy. there's many sharp rocks down there and the Explorer is doing good. my Nokian would be cut in half on the 1st ride not to speak of those paperthin Maxlites i mounted on my ultralight build

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    the last 6 Explorer pros i got all were around 500g. also to my surprise as they usually are around 520-530g.
    seems they have a new mold or something..? that'^s a great weight for such a do-it-all tire. i will use them in about 1 month when i'm going for 1 wek bike holidays in Italy. there's many sharp rocks down there and the Explorer is doing good. my Nokian would be cut in half on the 1st ride not to speak of those paperthin Maxlites i mounted on my ultralight build
    how strong are the walls
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

FPC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    how strong are the walls
    I sliced the sidewall on the regular Explorer Pro - not that that means a ton just anecdotal

Re: Weights - My: Explorer SuperSonic - 478g; "Regular" Explorer 491g; Explorer Protection 524g -

I like them all - especially for front wheel - also run the Vertical Protection on front for some rides - same pattern on 2.3 - 616g

SUBLIM8er
    I love the explorer supersonic as a rear tire. I picked this tire up after my Nokian NBX Lite ripped wide open on a rock the first ride out! I rode the whole season with the Explorer Supesonic as a rear tire last year without a hiccup and I'm at 175lbs. The only issue with this tire as a tubeless is that the walls of the tire have an infinite number of pinholes that leak the Stans goop and loose air over time-sometimes after a matter of hours. I now view this as a "tire curing" issue in that after a couple of treatments of the Stans the tire holds air and the pinholes are sealed. It's a great tire at the right weight.