mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Concorde or Speedneedle

Hi all,

I'm torn between these 2 saddles! I want the Concorde due to its lighter weight but the raw carbon scares me a tad, how do they hold up? The one I can get states road use only and max rider weight of 85kg (I'm well under that weight), will it live on the MTB?

The Speedneedle I've always fancied but its a fair bit heavier (and uglier in my opinion), the price goes in its favour but its not a big issue.

Some user comments will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Sean

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I can't compare the Concorde to the SpeedNeedle because I have never ridden the Concorde, but I went from a Selle Italia old school Flite Ti, to the Tioga Spider, to the Selle Italia SLR and now to the SpeedNeedle. The worst comfort wise is a toss up between the Flite Ti and the Spider, then the SLR and the most comfortable out of the 4 is the SpeedNeedle (yes I was shocked as well ).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is MTB version of concorde @ 56-58g. (Road is about 45g)
    I used Speedneedle then changed to Concorde.
    I was surprised to feel how comfy the concorde is.
    Speedneedle is rather hard on my butt, but concorde is not only lighter, but is more comfy for me. Definitely recommend Concorde than anything else.

mtbr member
    You can find a lot of discussion about these saddles doing a search.

It's a toss up between the two. Initially I was partial towards the Concord but for me I'm starting to think the Speedneedle is more comfortable. I have said otherwise in the past but I think the speedneedle has a little more flex. The concord costs a lot more. Carbon-Ti is going to offer custom graphics on their saddles.http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/forum/...ee49acef8d8084

For some reason I'm occasionally getting numb nuts on long strenuous hill climbs yet if I ride flatter terrain I don't have the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I use a concorde on my XC bike. On my marathon fully I use a speedneedle. I don't think there is much difference in comfort. I found them both very comfortable. But I wouldn't want to risk a Concorde on my marathon bike. This is because the Concorde is a little more fragile when it comes to crashes. I broke one once when it hit my back. But with regular riding I think it's very strong. You can't go wrong with either of them.

mtbr member
    I started off with a speedneedle and switched to a concorde.
    I found the concorde more comfortable than the speedneedle and the speedneedle marathon. My only problem with the concorde is that its a pain in the ass to get a seatpost to fit on it, i had to file down the clamps on my extralite post and use toothpaste to get it to stay.
    I have recently purchased an ax lightness sprint, but im waiting for it to come from euorpe so i wont know how comfortable it is til it gets here. Id say go all carbon, its light and looks great.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Where to buy Concorde?

Where can I buy a Concorde? I live in Norway.

Ole.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    You can order them at http://www.bike-components.de/
    here under the brand Carbon-Ti: http://bike-components.de/catalog/Ca...17e889b0043ac7
    There also is a SL version for people under 75KG here: http://bike-components.de/catalog/Sa...17e889b0043ac7

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Cheers for all your help guys
    Now to find an etailer that takes paypal that I can actually understand, to say my german is a little rusty would be an understatement!

SUBLIM8er
    AX-Lightness Apollo gets my vote for MTB. More comfy then my SLR. The wide nose and recess are super nice for climbing in a forward position.

Edit: I have been racing on this all season. It's durable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Grams Light Bikes
    I used the Speedneedle perhaps 7 months without any problems, but then my right leg started to give me some issue (numbness, pain, etc) so I switched back to my old Specialized saddle and after a couple of weeks almost all of the issues have gone away. I think I may have damaged a nerve? I need to update my blog with my new long term findings on the saddle. I have one bad knee from a ACL replacement and its the legs that had the issue, so perhaps its just my personal interaction with the saddle and my bad kneee?