Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    viva la v-brakes!
    Reputation: FishMan473's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,996

    Comparing brake weights?

    I'm having a hard time comparing the weight of various brake sets. Seems some list calipers and levers separately, some list the weight of only one wheels worth of brakes, while others do the whole brakeset, etc.

    Does anyone have a good source where I can compare apples to apples?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910

    Comparing brake weights?

    convenient time for me to jump into your question as I am doing several tests and brake combinations right now. I'd say by default a Brake 'set' should be weighted including the Caliper + Hose + lever + the pad inside...and that's it. I question the inclusion of the pads since there are so many options out there including the new trend of finned pads, but by default I'd say that's the combo. Now depending on how much of a weight weeny a person is, it might be interesting to know the weight of each part separately, for example...my Brakes (Think I'm going a little too far...lol).

    Rear
    New Mt8 caliper with pin and banjo bolt(91.7)
    BFO hose(18.3)
    fittings (5.3)
    New MT8 lever(55)
    14.1g of oil
    Alloy pads (11)
    Total: 195.4g

    Front

    New Mt8 caliper with pin and banjo bolt (91.7)
    BFO hose (8.3)
    Fittings (5.3)
    New MT8 lever(55)
    10.3g of oil
    Alloy pads (11)
    Total: 181.6g

    Set total: 377g


  3. #3
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,541
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    I'm having a hard time comparing the weight of various brake sets. Seems some list calipers and levers separately, some list the weight of only one wheels worth of brakes, while others do the whole brakeset, etc.

    Does anyone have a good source where I can compare apples to apples?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, google. Search for your component and "weight" and you get tons of hits with the components on scales.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  4. #4
    viva la v-brakes!
    Reputation: FishMan473's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,996
    Andrepsz, sound like a reasonable collection. Rotors are pretty easy to swap out.

    Jayem, do you mean Google IMAGES? Regular google takes you to a range of sites with or with the actual weight and with the inconsistencies I spoke of in my OP


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

  5. #5
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,456
    Here's a side-by-side with XTR (complete set F&R, with fluid, pads, year: 2015, Jagwire housing) 432g and Formula R1 Racing (complete set F&R, with fluid, pads, year: 2015 - new lever design, stock Kevlar housing) 365g:
    New Build - 2013 S-Works Stumpjumper HT

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Here's a side-by-side with XTR (complete set F&R, with fluid, pads, year: 2015, Jagwire housing) 432g and Formula R1 Racing (complete set F&R, with fluid, pads, year: 2015 - new lever design, stock Kevlar housing) 365g:
    New Build - 2013 S-Works Stumpjumper HT
    Dammit! The formula beats my set by 12g...☹️


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  7. #7
    viva la v-brakes!
    Reputation: FishMan473's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,996
    See this is where it gets confusing. the 2016 Formula R1s are supposed to be 298g F & R? XTR M9000 are 182g per wheel and Avid BB7 are 366g per wheel?

    Its hard to be sure you're looking at F&R or just one wheel's worth.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

  8. #8
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,456
    I hear you. Not to mention that housing lengths will vary (both new, and after a specific bike fit), and in most cases the bolts aren't included.

    Re your numbers, I'm confused too. Latest R1Rs are now down to 267g, as per their site. That's 100g shed in ~ 2 years which seems impossible. Also, it wouldn't be for a single wheel, as that would make the total too high.

    Also, not sure what M9000 year you are referencing, but again mine were 2014/2015 and weighed far more (even with lighter Jagwire hose). Maybe again they've made great strides in those 2 years. (?)

    I'd normally recommend scale shots on your Internet photo-seeker of choice, but there's variance there too.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    See this is where it gets confusing. the 2016 Formula R1s are supposed to be 298g F & R? XTR M9000 are 182g per wheel and Avid BB7 are 366g per wheel?

    Its hard to be sure you're looking at F&R or just one wheel's worth.
    Yeah this 'per wheel' term sure is a slacking way to state brake weight. Like phlegm said there is never a set weight because hose length vary for each rider body sizes and bike sizes.

    What I see often is also the 'per wheel' therm including the Rotor, of course they want to sell you their Rotors with the excuse that is the 'only rotor compatible...and if you don't use it is going to ruin your brakes...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910
    Ideally it would be great to have a single Thread encouraging people to post Brake 'set' weights, only scale shots....stating the hose lenght...and if its custom also state the brand of each component. I have a few scale shots that I would be glad to share.

  11. #11
    viva la v-brakes!
    Reputation: FishMan473's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,996
    Does anyone know why Weight Weenies isn't updated anymore?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

  12. #12
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,541
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Andrepsz, sound like a reasonable collection. Rotors are pretty easy to swap out.

    Jayem, do you mean Google IMAGES? Regular google takes you to a range of sites with or with the actual weight and with the inconsistencies I spoke of in my OP


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, so the only way to know for sure is to buy a calibrated certificated scale and weigh it yourself.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  13. #13
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,317
    I want to see a good, thorough English (non-translated) review of the Trickstuff Piccola.

    They look like the holy grail of brakes, and, unfortunately, are priced that way.
    Death from Below.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910

    Comparing brake weights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I want to see a good, thorough English (non-translated) review of the Trickstuff Piccola.

    They look like the holy grail of brakes, and, unfortunately, are priced that way.
    Same here...not much on internet about them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  15. #15
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I want to see a good, thorough English (non-translated) review of the Trickstuff Piccola.

    They look like the holy grail of brakes, and, unfortunately, are priced that way.
    Geez, you're not kidding: $350 - per wheel!

  16. #16
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,317
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Geez, you're not kidding: $350 - per wheel!
    Yeah. I picked up my R1s for $150 on the 'Bay.

    I bleed them once every three months whether they need it or not, and they've been great for a year and a half.

    $700 for bicycle brakes ain't happening any time soon.
    Death from Below.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    236
    I can tell you that Guide RS are only 5g heavier than XTM8000 (with alloy pads) when you use matchmaker connectors for your shifter and rock shox lockout.

  18. #18
    Specialized
    Reputation: Seb K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    935
    TBH I still think the Brakeforceone brakes are the best out there . Not as light as the Piccola (around 40 grams heavier for both brakes) but the tech is better . I still like the dual piston design that allows a large gap between the pads and rotor .

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910

    Comparing brake weights?

    Kinda off topic...but the Piccola brake is suppose to be the lightest...and there's still room for weight saving. Not sure what kind of hose they are using...but the BFO hose is stupid light, so it could be retrofitted to Piccola. There is also 4 steel bearings on each lever, if replaced by full ceramic ones, cheap from China...or even nylon bushings...that's another small saving.

    I'm shooting for about 20g saving for the set doing that. How about pads? The weight stated on the website is with steel pads?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by andrepsz; 03-03-2017 at 09:30 AM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910
    Found some scale shots on the Piccola:
    https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/2092688

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,750
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    I can tell you that Guide RS are only 5g heavier than XTM8000 (with alloy pads) when you use matchmaker connectors for your shifter and rock shox lockout.
    My XTR 9000 rear is 206 grams out of the box
    Comparing brake weights?-img_0363.jpg
    The XTR I-spec II shifter is well below 100 grams (I measured it at 121 grams with a full length cable attached. The cable is around 40 grams).

  22. #22
    Specialized
    Reputation: Seb K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by andrepsz View Post
    Kinda off topic...but the Piccola brake is suppose to be the lightest...and there's still room for weight saving. Not sure what kind of hose they are using...but the BFO hose is stupid light, so it could be retrofitted to Piccola. There is also 4 steel bearings on each lever, if replaced by full ceramic ones, cheap from China...or even nylon bushings...that's another small saving.

    I'm shooting for about 20g saving for the set doing that. How about pads? The weight stated on the website is with steel pads?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yup replace the bearings but with bushings, change the hoses to BFO hoses (if they are different) and if I do buy them (which is a high chance) I will weight them with my carbon pad plates .

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    Yup replace the bearings but with bushings, change the hoses to BFO hoses (if they are different) and if I do buy them (which is a high chance) I will weight them with my carbon pad plates .
    That will be a sub 300g set for sure!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Trickstuff Piccola is the lightest I know! 320g f+r

    Enviado de meu GT-I9300I usando Tapatalk

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_camargos View Post
    Trickstuff Piccola is the lightest I know! 320g f+r

    Enviado de meu GT-I9300I usando Tapatalk
    Brasileiro?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Sim!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrepsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_camargos View Post
    Sim!
    Tamo junto!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by andrepsz View Post
    Tamo junto!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    nois!

    Enviado de meu GT-I9300I usando Tapatalk

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    179
    Piccolas are incredibly light. See measurements here: https://r2-bike.com/TRICKSTUFF-Disc-...-Set-blue-blue
    Even if Piccola brakes are superlight, those are incredibly powerful. This brake eats some a few 4-piston brakes out there for breakfast, see labor test here (German, use Google translate if needed): Test 2017: Leichte Bremsen fürs Mountainbike
    Name:  trickstuff-disc-brake-piccola-set-blue-blue~8.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  39.6 KB
    ___
    2016 Canyon Grand Canyon CF SL 8.9 tuned (fully-rigid, 1x11)
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/2373507

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    841
    Wow! That's light.

    I went with the Magura MT Trail Carbon brakes.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    337
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

    I put together an editable sheet with some of the more common brake models. The accuracy is probably +/- 15g because I can't verify scale calibrations, hose lengths, fluid, or in some cases, the exact weight of parts not weighed. Feel free to add anything you've measured or can verify with a photo.

  32. #32
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,456
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

    I put together an editable sheet with some of the more common brake models. The accuracy is probably +/- 15g because I can't verify scale calibrations, hose lengths, fluid, or in some cases, the exact weight of parts not weighed. Feel free to add anything you've measured or can verify with a photo.
    Nice - I'm adding this to the WW sticky!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    427
    Bikerumor.com says that a pair of SRAM Ultimate Guide brakes are 480 grams.
    Does that mean XTR 9000 would be a better weight weenie choice? I am sure the XTR 9000 function better/quieter-

  34. #34
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,456
    The XTRs would be lighter, but not necessarily function better (although Shimano brakes are tough to beat). "Quiet" is a matter of pad and rotor, so not directly attributed to any given caliper.

Similar Threads

  1. XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight
    By brentos in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 05:03 PM
  2. Hub weights...Syncros, wtb, Hope pro 2 Evo weights
    By RTM in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 02:05 PM
  4. Shimano M985 disc brake weights?
    By scant in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 12:53 PM
  5. Comparing Value....
    By swengo86 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Members who have read this thread: 100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •