mtbr member

Climax Carbon seatpost on eBay?

Anybody used this seatpost? I weigh 140 lbs and race cross country. I want a reliable seatpost that's also lightweight and less than $150. I was thinking of the Thomson Masterpiece, but then I found this post, a much lighter option.

Any experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Edit: found another thread about this seatpost, but there weren't really any experiences in there, so I'll leave this thread up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Climax Carbon seatpost on eBay?-climax-carbon.jpg  

MaL*size=
    i just ordered mine. ive heard people using it are quite happy so far. Ill get mine in a couple weeks and will use it on a road fram. 31.6mm 3k matt with no logos. ill let you know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

climax seat posts

I bought three of them . No problems well worth the price!

mtbr member
    Anybody have an actual weight for the 27.2 size?

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboyj17 View Post
    Anybody have an actual weight for the 27.2 size?
    A friend purchased this for his road bike and it was under the claimed weight by a couple grams. I think it was 128.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebherron View Post
    I bought three of them . No problems well worth the price!
    Can you elaborate on this? What types of bikes do you use them on? How long have you used this product? What type of terrain do you ride? Rocky, Roots, Smooth?
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Would probably buy one If i had a road bike. Would not take a chance with this on the rocky trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My buddy got one on his Mojo SL, other then creaking pretty loud it's holding up good after a half year.

MaL*size=
    I got mine and installed it:

31.6x350mm, 3k, matte lacquer. No problem so far, although it's in a road bike, not mtb.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind me asking... Where are you located and how long did shipping take?

MaL*size=
    im in netherlands, took about 15-16 days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Climax post

Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler View Post
    My buddy got one on his Mojo SL, other then creaking pretty loud it's holding up good after a half year.
    Check for cracks in the post since I had one these break on my fullsuspension xc bike after hearing mild creaking.
    My other bike had same post and creaking became worse so I pulled it out and found it to be cracked right at the collar .
    I think it is a good post if two conditions are met,
    You don,t weigh too much (I'm 175 topps)
    And you don't need a lot of the post to extend above the top of seat tube,

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the tip, I'll let him know

mtbr member
    Mine is working fine on my large highball. I weigh 175 and ride hard on the HT. I did have a carbon rail on my phenom saddle fail at the clamp, which is more focused than most in terms of pressure on the rails, but not sure that has anything to do with the rail failure.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    I have a 30.9 x 350mm lying around and only used once. Pm if interested

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MaL*size=
    this seatpost is a big piece of crap, it cracks all the time. Ive tried already a few times to disasemble it and grease it properly but no luck. DON'T EVER BUY THIS ASIAN SEATPOST, BUY A DECENT ONE, LIKE NEW ULTIMATE OR THOMSON...

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by marcodeluca View Post
    Check for cracks in the post since I had one these break on my fullsuspension xc bike after hearing mild creaking.
    My other bike had same post and creaking became worse so I pulled it out and found it to be cracked right at the collar .
    I think it is a good post if two conditions are met,
    You don,t weigh too much (I'm 175 topps)
    And you don't need a lot of the post to extend above the top of seat tube,
    Yeah, after a shop employee over tightened the clamp on my FSA carbon post, it started creaking as a precursor to cracking.

A carbon post should be silent.

Quote Originally Posted by MaLoL View Post
    this seatpost is a big piece of crap, it cracks all the time. Ive tried already a few times to disasemble it and grease it properly but no luck. DON'T EVER BUY THIS ASIAN SEATPOST, BUY A DECENT ONE, LIKE NEW ULTIMATE OR THOMSON...
    You should not GREASE carbon components - use carbon paste next time, may prevent the failure you experienced.

BTW, some of the very best carbon components/frames come from asia.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Recently installed a new kcnc ti pro lite8000 seatpost on my 150mm travel trail bike and it is silent and pretty darn strong for its 155 gm weight compared to climax's 135 grm weight.

I must say that when you are looking for the absolute lightest mtb part, you may have to go to second or third lightest available since the lightest may not last too long based on the type of riding and punishment you will inflict on it. In other words if you use a lot of exposed seat post on you ride, and if your seat tube is 67 degree angle or less, get a little bit stronger seat post.
    Also take not that if you do get a climax's or other super light post that if you are trail riding and you come upon a mild dip in the trail ahead, you must get your butt off the seat while you go through that section or you might just stress that overly light post to failure with your weight on it.

MaL*size=
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Yeah, after a shop employee over tightened the clamp on my FSA carbon post, it started creaking as a precursor to cracking.

A carbon post should be silent.

You should not GREASE carbon components - use carbon paste next time, may prevent the failure you experienced.

BTW, some of the very best carbon components/frames come from asia.
    dear smart ass, thanks for telling me how to install stuff. fortunately Im a master mechanic; carbon paste is already used on the connection to the frame. grease is used on the clamp with the saddle, where the noise is coming from.

although i agree with you, I may have overtightened the seatpost and that's why it's cracking...

Helmetless Crasher
    dear smart ass, thanks for telling me how to install stuff. fortunately Im a master mechanic; carbon paste is already used on the connection to the frame. grease is used on the clamp with the saddle, where the noise is coming from.

although i agree with you, I may have overtightened the seatpost and that's why it's cracking...
    "Smart ass"? Nice!

I dont care if you are a USAF fighter jet master tech.

You said you greased a carbon seatpost because it "cracks all the time".

Perhaps you did not do what you typed. Perhaps you should improve your communication skills.

Was just trying to be helpful.

Take care.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i just got an enve carbon post 27.2 straight 400mm long 180g not the cheapest but it is the best carbon post. It replaces a thomson elite 27.2 straight 410mm (290g). I also have a thomson masterpiece 27.2 330mm with a ti bolt kit that weighs in at 180g in another bike . Why the enve? Well there were no more thomson materpieces letf in NZ

Living the thug life.

Dear Ass. Now that we all know you are a self proclaimed master mechanic we should all bow in awe, but I would still use the carbon paste on the clamp for at least to try it.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.