Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Climax Carbon Seat Post-Any thoughts?

Hi Guys,
    Just saw this ebay ad for the climax carbon seatpost.
    The 31.6mm weighs about 139 grams.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Climax-SeatPost-...#ht_1997wt_830

Has anyone tried this post?

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    that logo is hideous... good think you can take it off!
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I pulled the trigger and purchased it. Will take pics and analyze it once I get it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I don't wanna be the butthead and ruin it for you and bash it, but the clamp system looks horrid, especially for a carbonrail seat.

And for that price....

You could've gotten the Woodman from universalcycles for $150 (-10% coupon discount).
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...8&category=768
    And the woodman has the same clamp system, but the bottom part seems quite a bit wider for better rail support.

Or you could've gotten a Omni Racer for slightly more, but ships from US, not Taiwan.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/OMNI-Racer-Carbo...item3365236a25

Or the Q2, which has the most support in the clamping system category, it's slightly heavier, but half the price, plus again it ships from the US:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=4167

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was looking at the woodman...but it was a $40 price difference. The Omni looks nice though and about the same weight. In terms of the seat post clamp, they all look the same to me. What is the main issue with the Climax? Seems to use the same type of clamping post as the others.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Look at the support for the rails on the Q2 for example:

But I'd say, if you have Ti rails you'll be just fine!

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    omni and woodman will be the same style as yours.

the q2 has support for the rails on the cradle and yokes. which is a necesity for carbon rails.

it your saddle is ti or steal railed your fine with the one you got.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thank you for that information. I definitely understand what is going on now. Carbon saddles frighten me a bit since I saw a roadie require several stitches on his ass when his carbon saddle broke!
    I will most likely be using a Specialzed Toupe. That Omni Racer seat post looks much nicer than the climax! I think I may just have to cancel that order!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I ordered from the Omni Racer seller before, I recommend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    carboncycles.cc have nice carbon seatposts in 31.6 dia. They have a great lower carbon clamp and the weight would be similar:

For $70 they look like good value for money. I've got one on order for the wife's bike.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    you can take the logo off your post if you desire
    the UD carbon looks cooler in my opinion
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld
    carboncycles.cc have nice carbon seatposts in 31.6 dia. They have a great lower carbon clamp and the weight would be similar:

For $70 they look like good value for money. I've got one on order for the wife's bike.
    Looks very good, lots of support, too bad they only offer 350, I need 400.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just bought one for my Scott Spark. I wanted a light weight 34.9mm post and this fit the bill. The build seems good but I will wait for a few rides to see. Im using my Tune Speedneedle with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnybravo
    I just bought one...
    Which one?

Low Rep Count
    Thought about getting a carbon cycles version myself but I have a 27.2 and just get a little nervous about having a carbon post up as high as I need it. Running a kcnc right now that is a 350 and I am right at the min insertion point (actually the line is just inside the frame by maybe 1 cm. Good rail support for carbon rails with that clamp style. The weight on the carboncycles is fairly heavy at 190 grams according to their site for a 27.2x350. My KCNC is 138 on my scale.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Any update about these seatposts? They look like a real light option for 34,9mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Jonnybravo, did you get the set back or zero off set? Also, can you weigh the post and let us know?

Team Livemedium
    +1 for updates. Anybody snapping these? the climax or the carboncycles. carboncycles recommend using their double seatclamp which is 50 more grams. is anyone running that clamp also? thanks
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

aka 'Grover'
    I just received mine.

31.6x350
    UD finish with no graphics (stealth)
    Straight (no-setback)
    133 grams

Haven't ridden it yet, let's hope that doesn't result in carbon shards in my behind. It'll be going on a 29" Hardtail.

Maromero
    I got a CC 27.2 350 mm, heavier than the New Ultimate I use, anyway I used only the lower craddle to give more support to the carbon rails of my KomVor. I don't remember how much the plastic rods weighed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Climax Carbon Seat Post-Any thoughts?-seatpost-exotic.jpg  

Climax Carbon Seat Post-Any thoughts?-lower-craddle-cc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    I just received mine.

31.6x350
    UD finish with no graphics (stealth)
    Straight (no-setback)
    133 grams

Haven't ridden it yet, let's hope that doesn't result in carbon shards in my behind. It'll be going on a 29" Hardtail.
    I want to buy the 27.2 version of these climax seatpost, the seller says actual weight is 128 grams which is very good i think. I wonder if you are happy with your seatpost, is there any sound coming from the seatpost?

Thnx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry for the late reply guys... I bought this one...
    Climax Full Marble Carbon SB0 Ti Bolt Road MTB Seatpost Seat Post Black 34.9 | eBay

It is working great a year later! No creaks, and is nice and light. I wet sanded the logo off and did a light coat of satin clear. Looks slick. I'll try and get pics up.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am 185lbs are dropping more soon. Which post would be safe? I would like to get something trick but ...
    I like Q2 and Carboncycles (27.2x350 sold out at the moment). KCNC can damage seat rails and do not want to experiment.

Low Rep Count
    I was 185 when I got my kcnc post and have been riding one for over a year now with no problems. I have ridden it with my carbon rail sadles as well while using all stock mounting hardware. You can however use a Thompson or Smud carbon lower craddle with it. I have been using a Smud ($40 I think) carbon for the past 6 months and again no problems with rails or the post in general.

Right now I have a 400mm kcnc that is sitting at about the 2 mark on it. That means 2cm from the min insertion point. But no bending! I had my 350 at the min insert point and it is still all good. (Changed frames which is why the 350 is just sitting around).

What you can't see from the pictures of them is the internal structure of the tubing which is similar to a Thompson all but a little thinner.

On a side note I have dropped in body weight over the past couple months and am now at 172! I tell ya, its all diet!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am looking for something with flex, like Ti or carbon.
    There are too many options.
    Q2
    Forte
    Carboncycles
    J&L Ti post

BTW. I don't want to spend too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast