mtbr member
    Jan 2010

New question here. Choosing a Carbon HardTail frame: '06 Scott Scale 10 vs. '08 S-Works

Five weeks ago I picked up a bare 2008 S-Works HT frame with warranty from a reputable shop. While finding components for it, I came across a pristine, low mileage, original, and fully built 2006 Scott Scale 10. I am debating buying the Scale 10 and selling the S-Works HT which would significantly reduce cost, effort and time. From the reviews I have found they both seem similar in weight, function, capability, quality and original price (Spesh seems to hold value better). I know I need to ride each to really know, but if components are equal, what are the advantages and disadvantages of these frames?

ps- Goal is a HT Wt Weenie to scream down singletrack, technical, short steep, and occasional rocky trails. I may use a Ritchey WCS rigid carbon fork.

WTF
    The scale has full length cable housing. this adds weight, but I dont know what you want, light, or durable shifting.

The Scale is definatly a sweet bike, but I cannot attest to the sworks as I have never ridden one.

Either way, you getting a sweet bike that will be light and ride awesome ,but the question is, are you comfortable ridding a frame without a warranty, and is a lower price worth not picking your components?.

IMO, the s works is a better deal, the warranty is a big deal on something that expensive and picking your own parts and building is a lot of the fun of a new bike.
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

ups and downs
    And with a carbon frame, a crash replacement deal that goes with a warranty might be more valuable than the warranty itself.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I need to make my decision by tomorrow at lunchtime so I'd appreciate any more opinions. Don't be shy, fellow trailmates!

Cost: While the difference is quite significant (at least $800), I would favor the S-Works if it is truly superior.

Warranty: I'm not too worried about it since my riding style and the local terrain will be unlikely to cause damage, plus the Scott components alone are almost worth the price. What is a crash replacement deal?

Customization factor: Yes, it would be fun to build the S-Works. It might be ready by spring depending on my success of finding the right components at the right prices. The final dream bike vs. an incomplete project sitting dusty in a corner of the garage are the two possible outcomes.

Coolness factor: I'm not too shallow to admit I can be shallow! At my age it's really not that much of an issue...really I prefer stealth but neither bike is that, and both have trail cred.

The bottom line is, frame to frame, which is superior? Highly subjective of course, but looking at the only objective stats I have:

Weight = the Spesh has the edge by a few grams
    Geometry = the angles listed are identical with the Scott having slightly longer top tube.
    Fitment = Scott 19.5" vs. Spesh 19"
    Age = Scott 2006 vs. Spesh 2008
    Technology = ?????? I guess this must be the major factor.

My stats: I'm 6'1" with 34" inseam and just under 180 lbs fully clothed. Riding style/goals in post #1.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsterdoc

Weight = the Spesh has the edge by a few grams

Technology = ?????? I guess this must be the major factor.

Sorry-but the Spesh is definitely heavier than a Scale.Even the '09 S-Works is close to 1200g!
    If you would have the possibility to throw a leg over both bikes i'm almost sure you would go with the Scott. Note: i was a hardcore Spesh rider for many, many years.I had several S-works bikes over the years but the handling of the Scott was leagues superior than the current S-Works back in 2002 when i tried the Scandium Scott Team Issue let alone when the Scale hit the market.

The Scale is still rated among the best frames in the business.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nino- That is purely subjective opinion...but given your experience and the number of sensible posts of yours I have read, I will take it as gospel. Thanks!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
    Nino- That is purely subjective opinion...but given your experience and the number of sensible posts of yours I have read, I will take it as gospel. Thanks!
    What the ride is concerned you may be right (just try them though!) - but the weight of the Spesh is definitely higher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    OK, I picked up the Scott as it seems there is no significant reason to choose one frame over the other so it really just came down to cost savings. I have a small amount of regret not building and riding the Spesh but the Scott feels fantastic and I saved a lot of cash. Last night I posted the S-Works CF HT on ebay!

Now I want to lighten up the Scott (which is all original) and I am first considering wheels, fork and cranks. Further recommendations appreciated.

2006 Scott Scale 10:

Control:
    Fork Brand & Model: Fox F80X, 80mm travel
    Handlebar Ritchey WCS Carbon
    Handlebar Extensions Unspecified
    Handlebar Stem Ritchey WCS
    Headset 1 1/8" integrated FSA 9 alloy
    Brakeset: Avid Juicy Carbon brakes, Avid Juicy Carbon levers

Drivetrain:
    Shift Levers SRAM X.0 Trigger
    Front Derailleur Shimano XTR
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.0 Carbon