Nutrailer

Chinese carbon & titanium saddle

Thought I'd give a mini review of a saddle I purchased on the Alibaba website 'AliExpress' about 6 weeks ago.
    I was looking for a lighter saddle and had decided that although carbon was good for the seat there are too many stories and images of broken carbon rails on MTBs. I also wanted a saddle with similar dimensions to my Charge Spoon which I found to be very comfortable.
    After looking at prices for new and used saddles I thought I'd take a chance and try a Chinese product.
    I found the Wacako saddle met my criteria so ordered it from a seller on AliEexpress. It was available in a different designs but I preferred the matt carbon finish. I could track it progress from Hong Kong all the way on it's 10 day journey.
    Initial impressions were that it's nicely made and finished. It weighs 160 grams compared to the 159 grams as advertised.
    I'm also surprised how comfortable it is and am now a convert to the 'less padding the better' idea that allows your butt/hips to move around when pedaling and not sink into the padding.
    After about 20 hours on the saddle in total it still looks good and is comfortable even after a couple of hours riding on varied terrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese carbon & titanium saddle-wacako-saddle.jpg  

Last edited by JackWare; 09-29-2017 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    I looked for a couple minutes both on Alibaba and Google to see what the price was and couldn't find it.

Nutrailer
    Sorry, it was on the related site AliExpress;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/waca...815821102.html

I've amended my previous post

Formerly of Kent
    FWIW, I just picked up a used, 138g Selle Italia SLR off ebay for $20.

Then, removed the leather cover. Now, it's <120g.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    FWIW, I just picked up a used, 138g Selle Italia SLR off ebay for $20.

Then, removed the leather cover. Now, it's <120g.
    What does it look like w/o the cover?

Formerly of Kent
    Looks like carbon reinforced plastic, like most saddles do when you remove the cover.

There is a very thin (3mm or so) layer of foam padding that I haven't sanded off yet. I might just leave it on.
    Last edited by Le Duke; 09-30-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Death from Below.

Nutrailer
    That sounds a good idea, would be interested to see a picture if you have a moment.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    That sounds a good idea, would be interested to see a picture if you have a moment.
    Le Duke never posts images. I believe it is due to his participation in a witness protection program.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    Thought I'd give a mini review of a saddle I purchased on the Alibaba website 'AliExpress' about 6 weeks ago.
    Initial impressions were that it's nicely made and finished. It weighs 160 grams compared to the 159 grams as advertised.
    I'm also surprised how comfortable it is and am now a convert to the 'less padding the better' idea that allows your butt/hips to move around when pedaling and not sink into the padding.
    After about 20 hours on the saddle in total it still looks good and is comfortable even after a couple of hours riding on varied terrain.
    My e-bay purchase was lighter, it works great and show no sign of failure of any sort but I must admit that after a while I found it a bit too taxing for my butt, and I purchased an Ergon SM3 Carbon which is 158 grams ... (I supposed the red beauty is for sale now ... )

Chinese carbon &amp; titanium saddle-9.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    SLR without cover, with padding. About 115g. Ti rails, plastic/carbon shell.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    My e-bay purchase was lighter, it works great and show no sign of failure of any sort but I must admit that after a while I found it a bit too taxing for my butt, and I purchased an Ergon SM3 Carbon which is 158 grams ... (I supposed the red beauty is for sale now ... )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	1160789
    I purchased that same saddle, and less than a week & 100 miles later, it's now broken. It was all gravel and road riding on an MTB. It was not a catastrophic event, just one of the 4 connection points between the rails and saddle broke.

Breaking aside, it really made my butt and back hurt, but I think I could have gotten used to it. I think it would be okay for actual MTB riding where you are out of the saddle more often than on gravel.