bike rider

Cheaper Options to DT 240 Hubs

I build a lot of wheels for myself and friends. When price is no concern I use DT 240s for their light weight and durability. However, sometimes price is an issue so I'm always on the lookout for cheaper options that are close in weight.

For 20mm front hubs the Atomlab Pimplite fits the bill but I haven't found 15mm front, 135/142, or 150/157 rear hubs besides AmClassic which I'm done with after having problems with their disc mounts. Basically NoTubes hubs would be perfect if they were available. Does the factory that makes those and AmClassic have any similar hubs available? Have you seen anything that fits what I'm looking for? I'm not familiar enough with Novatec or Bitex to know if they have something that fits the bill, just heard of them coming on complete wheels from Chinese carbon rim companies.
    Keep the Country country.

turtles make me hot
    How about Hope? The fronts are fully convertible and can be found anywhere from 77 to 100 dollars.
    Even the rears are 180-200, less than 240's.
    I like turtles

bike rider
    After shredding the third AmClassic hub in a season I used a Hope 142 cuz I didn't want to shell out for a DT. It was suppoed to only be like 30g heavier but turned out to be 80g heavier. It also had a LOT of friction. I pulled it apart and re-greased and lubed everything right out of the box but it still had enough drag that I bet it made a difference. That Hope/Flow EX is my back-up enduro wheel now but weighsnearly 1/2lb more than my DT/Light Bicycle wheel. I think I rwmember their front 20mm hub weighing 20g or so more than the Atomlab Pimplite but costing a little more.

So yeah, they're viable but people come to me for really light wheels and Hope just doesn't cut it.

turtles make me hot
    Gotcha.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Built a wheelset for my son using A2Z XCF-15 front hub, Circus Monkey HDW3 rear & LB carbon rims, Sapim Laser spokes = 1356 grams.
    Your probably looking for something more robust than the CM rear hub, but the A2Z front could be a viable option, it was $69.00 & 108 grams. I'm just going to copy & paste from a post on his bike/wheelset from the Kids forum.
    "A2Z XCF-15 front hub showed up today. Its convertible from 15mm thru axle to 9mm QR. In the 15mm TA config. its 108.5 grams! QR its 115 grams. You can mount a 6 bolt rotor two different ways with this hub. 1) Use the standard 6 bolts.And these aren't included with the hub. 2) Install the 6 locktite coated set screws into the hub, place the rotor over them then thread the cassette style lockring into the hub which tightens against the rotor. You can see the lockring leaning against the bottom of the scale. Suprisingly this set up was lighter than 6 steel bolts. The lockring & set screws are 12.5 grams. 6 steel rotor bolts are 14 grams.
    I'm thrilled with the weight on this hub as I looked high & low for a 15mm TA and/or 15 TA/9QR convertible hub & found nothing unless you wanted to spend big bucks. I couldn't find any convertible, light, cheap hubs, and the lightest 15mm TA hub I found was 162 grams.
    I'm guessing this hub is a brand new style for A2Z as they don't even list it on their website. In all my searching I only came across two of these, both from the same seller.
    Edit: forgot to mention the reason I wanted a convertible hub for this build is my son will start with the Sid Race 80mm travel, 9mm QR. When he gets taller I want to slacken the head angle and add more travel with a Sid 120mm travel, 15mm Thru axle."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheaper Options to DT 240 Hubs-img_4408_1.jpg  

Cheaper Options to DT 240 Hubs-img_4406_1.jpg  

Cheaper Options to DT 240 Hubs-img_4817_1.jpg  

Cheaper Options to DT 240 Hubs-img_5206_1.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Anybody know what Six 1 Six hubs cost?
    I like turtles

bike rider
    I like that A2Z front hub. I'll definitely use it for 15mm builds. So now I just need thru-axle 135/142 and 150/157 rear hubs that are lighter than Hope but cheaper than DT and won't tear apart like AmClassic when braking traction is plentiful.

I tried checking out Novatec's and Bitex's websites but they have a million models and lots of typos so finding what I'm after isn't easy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think this is the 135mm width Novatec that you want?

D712SB-AA (RH) | D702SB-AA (RH) - Novatec