mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Cheap Chinese Alloy Stems

Found these stems on ebay going for $30. Claims to have ti bolts and weigh less than 100g. Has anyone tried them and do you thing they would be good for a 140lb rider with a carbon steerer on a rigid singlespped? Also do you think the logo could be removed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Can't answer your questions, but that is a great WW item!! Gonna buy a 90mm. Those with time can get that stem for about $23 delivered.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Another option for cheap ultralite stems are the Uno stems.
    Bi King Uno ?6? Lightweight MTB Road 31 8x70mm Stem 91g Black LT58H | eBay
    You can purchase 6 Ti bolts for approx. $15.00 to give you Extralite stem like weights.
    I have a couple of friends as well as my son and daughter running these with no issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap Chinese Alloy Stems-img_2492_1.jpg  

bike rider
    I run that same stem in 80mm for $27.90 with 6 Torx 25 ti bolts for $15.85 and it weighs 86g. Great WW item on a budget.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What type of thread are the bolts that you need?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robgall13 View Post
    What type of thread are the bolts that you need?
    M5 x17.5 Ti narrow head stem bolts. You can get them with or without washers.
    Titanium Bolts, Titanium Bolt, Titanium Fasteners, Ti Hardware

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anybody tried removing the graphics from these stems before? It seems like acetone would be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's just what I wanted to know, I'd prefer a simple black stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Cheap Chinese Alloy Stems

Goof off takes the graphics off. Did it on my Ritchey, these are probably made in the same factory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the info XC71. I got my Uno stem in today. The same seller has a white model which I chose. 85 g with my ti bolts. I am impressed with the construction -- larger diameter and thinner wall than my other stems, very rugged. Great quality casting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What length did you get, and did you weigh the stem before your ti bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Thanks for the info XC71. I got my Uno stem in today. The same seller has a white model which I chose. 85 g with my ti bolts. I am impressed with the construction -- larger diameter and thinner wall than my other stems, very rugged. Great quality casting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I got the 70mm 7-degree like XC71. It replaced an 80mm 17-deg. I put another 10mm spacer under it and it feels very close to what I had, maybe a little higher.

Sorry, I didn't weigh it before replacing the screws, but my screw records say I saved about 10 or 11 grams. My scale only reads to 1 gram, and the actual weight with ti screws was actually trending towards 84 grams as it flashed back and forth. So 95 grams would be very close to the actual weight.

If you are looking for something of a more typical length, he has this 90mm that should still sneak by under 100g with ti bolts.

Bi King Uno "7" 7050 Alloy Ultralight MTB Road 31 8x90mm Stem Black LT03H | eBay

(Gotta love some of these Chinese store names . No dear, it is just a bicycle part.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the info. I'm using this in a 90/-7 and weight has been around 110g for mine: Forté Pro Oversize Stem -

Often on sale for $24 and we have local PB store which allows me to take the tiny gram scale and make sure I don't get a pig heavy one, ha. Being a Weight Weenie means I should go for anything that saves 10 grams, but the PB stem is often free from Team Performance points.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    What length did you get, and did you weigh the stem before your ti bolts?
    Before the Ti bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap Chinese Alloy Stems-img_2493_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks! So 94g for a 70mm. Guesstimating a 90mm would be around 105. The WW within would swap my Forte Oversized 90mm/110g for a 95g 90mm Uno, but at the guesstimated weight it's not worth it for me.

Huckin' trails
    I'm looking for a lightweight 70mm stem, and found these Vivimax EMT2 Aluminum 7050 31 8 X 70mm Stem Black | eBay

They are claimed 101g (probably 110g real) and look way better than these UNO stems (I find the UNO soooo ugly IMO). Plus the graphics aren't as bad and they seem to have a way nicer body.

I'm 120 with gear, and this is going on a XC bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!