Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Change Crankset+Cassette Noticable?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Some Guy 
#1 ·
Well I have HG50s and regular shimano crankset, which probably weight a lot, that came on my 07 fsrxc comp (specialized). I was planning on going with Sram PG 990(280g) and Race Face x type dues xc crankset(830g), my quetion is, will i notice any significant changes in my bike? More nimble, better handling? Im changing these because some of my teeth are slightly bent, and making popping sounds when shifting going uphill. Should I change it or just leave it?

#2 ·
Cassette will save you about 2 ounces. Save a few bucks and get the PG-980 for same weight. Or, get the 11-32t XT or SRAM and save another ounce.

Look here for weights of many components:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=cassettes

Race Face Deus is not that light. Your current crank may even weigh less.

Weigh everything BEFORE you replace it, or you could waste a lot of money. If you don't have a digital kitchen or postal scale, take the parts to your local post office.

#3 ·
The deus will save him a bunch of weight. 830grams is plenty light considering the price/tuneability of these cranks. In the past these cranks were known to be lighter then 2003/2006 XTR cranks with a change of chainrings.

If you want superlight cranks at a good price, go for Token Alloy outboard cranks or get yourself a Square Tapered setup using a Ti Bottom bracket. 2007 XTR cranks are the best out there in terms of weight/strength/performance but will cost ALOT - for many people it is not worth the extra over a crank like the Deus.

As for the 'will I notice this weight saving?'. Can't say, likely not - but you will notice that your bike is lighter, only if it's when you pick it up.

#5 ·
EuroMack said:
Cassette will save you about 2 ounces. Save a few bucks and get the PG-980 for same weight. Or, get the 11-32t XT or SRAM and save another ounce.

Look here for weights of many components:

Weigh everything BEFORE you replace it, or you could waste a lot of money. If you don't have a digital kitchen or postal scale, take the parts to your local post office.
my current crankset must weight at least 1000g. 830g should be a lot lighter than my stock shimano's.

#7 ·
Cyco-Dude said:
nope. you'ld shave a little over half a pound (about 280g) with that. if you were getting rid of five pounds, then maybe there would be a noticable difference.
Except that it's 280 grams that you are turning with your legs thousands of times each ride. You will notice a differene on those type of drive train parts (same with tires and wheels, ect.) If it was a seatpost or bars or something similiar, then probably not.......

#10 ·
You're more likely to notice it just by picking up your bike. Maybe a difference in stiffness for better or worse you might notice.

However, if you ever have to dismount and climb a hill or even if you have to push up a long hill it will be helpful in the long run. I suppose that's one argument for the camel backs.

#11 ·
more tech please. said:
ummm, the deus is a very light crank.
But it's not a *good* crank. Neither is the Token mentioned earlier. Which Shimano crankset do you have? I'd wait until the rings wear out then buy an 08 XT crankset. Sure it's heavier than the Deus or the Token, but it's works properly.

Edit: If it's a really low end one, it could be worth upgrading now. An XT cassette is worthwhile too, although again possibly when your current one wears out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.