mtbr member

Carve SL SS on a diet?

Ok, so I've been riding my new Carve SL (rigid singlespeed) for a week or so now and love the thing! I'm just getting into mountain biking and haven't owned a bike in about 5 years, so I picked this bike thinking it would be a good first bike to learn the basics on.

But, as with anything I own, I can't just leave it stock! lol. I'm looking into Easten's Haven bars, 70mm stem and maybe a seat post to get started, I'm about 215lbs and the bike is full rigid (hence the haven AM stuff, lol). Even being All Mountain stuff its still a good bit lighter than all the stock stuff it will be replacing.

Am I on the right track? I don't really want to drop 1k or more on a set of nice wheels until I can get to where I can pick my lines better so I don't destroy them! haha

Jake

mtbr member
    With that bike as stripped as it is being a rigid single speed you aren't going to remove much more weight without dropping some bucks on a wheelset.
    A tech at my LBS has his SL pretty light with Enve carbon bars, other trick bits, but the big item was a set of flows he built up. Light tires running tubeless with ligth wheelset will be a big weight loss for that bike.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Wheels are definitely the most significant thing you should look at for weight savings and something that will actually make a significant difference that you will notice. All the other smaller stuff you can do slowly along the way - like bar, stem, post or seat (unless there's other compelling reason to do so - like getting improved fit).
    You don't need to drop 1k on wheels. A nice set of Stan's wheels lists for just under $600, and they can be found cheaper if you do some searching. Don't go with Flows as the other poster mentioned - they're heavy. Arch EX on their 3.3 hubs with rear being SS specific would do the trick, and I bet you'd drop close to a pound off the stock wheelset - that's big weight savings, especially in a wheelset! Add to that lighter tires with some volume set up tubeless, and you're saving even more.

mtbr member
    ^^^^+ 1 On going with the Stans Arch wheelset... I'm right at 215 lbs. and they have been flawless on my Civilian Luddite rigid. With the Arch wheelset, lighter tires running tubless, an Easton Haven carbon post and Niner flat top carbon bars plus misc lighter parts I have dropped the weight down from 27.5 lbs to 23.1 lbs...with the steel frame not a weight weenie bike but now a much better ride. You would be near 19 / 20 lbs on the Carve SL with this type of combination I would guess.

mtbr member
    Forgot about this thread lol, thanks for the info guys! I'm actually thinking about maybe some I9 hubs with some Light Bicycles carbon AM wheels for the wheel upgrade, probably coming soon than later lol. As for now, I need to drop some cash on brakes before I do anything else, these elixir 1's freaking suck! Crappy modulation and they squeal like a stuck pig ><

From what I've read on the thread in the 29er forums the wheels are awesome for the money and should hold up fine!

Jake