mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Carbonfan.com Skyweight 30/24 mm carbon wheelset

Given the internal dimension, assume this qualifies as weight weenie. New T800 mix. 1290 grams on my uncalibrated scale. 30mm outer/24mm inner (verified with my digital caliper), DT240s XD driver, 54 poe, 28 spoke 3x Pillar bladed spokes straightpull. I don't have a tensionometer but feel very equal and threw them on my truing stand and they are trued very well. Have a 2.25/2.35 Racing Ralph set that mounted up quick and easy. Finish on the rims is fantastic. Only one ride in, but they're nicely stiff and snappy. Coming from a lightweight aluminum rimset that lost significant tension just inflating the tires and needing constant truing on the rear I'm looking forward to all the benefits of carbon.

Carbonfan.com Skyweight 30/24 mm carbon wheelset-carbonfanfullbike.jpgCarbonfan.com Skyweight 30/24 mm carbon wheelset-carbonfantotalwheel.jpgCarbonfan.com Skyweight 30/24 mm carbon wheelset-carbonfanfront.jpgCarbonfan.com Skyweight 30/24 mm carbon wheelset-carbonfanrear.jpg

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Nice!!!!

mtbr member
    what rigid fork is that please?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It's a Specialized Chisel fork. Specialized has them in their closeout section on their website for $185. Cool feature is it comes with a bonded on aluminum crown race which saves weight. Bad feature is it's only good for QR or the 9mm DT RWS Thru I use. No 15mm option.

mtbr member
    I find these way more interesting than the LB Flyweight rims.

* $74 cheaper
    * Asymmetric
    * 24mm inner width
    * Anti-burp bump

Name:  2017-asymmetric-cross-country-carbon-rims-mountain-bike-width-30mm.png
Views: 356
Size:  16.3 KB

mtbr member
    29" 30/24mm 28H UD matte

Carbonfan.com Skyweight 30/24 mm carbon wheelset-llanta-carbono-1.jpg

Carbonfan.com Skyweight 30/24 mm carbon wheelset-llanta-carbono-2.jpg

Merendon Junkie
    Can someone post a link to these?

Thanks
    Abel

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    Can someone post a link to these?

Thanks
    Abel
    https://www.carbonfan.com/ Skyweight models. I've been riding mine for a couple months now and they are stellar. Weights on my scale are exactly as promised. I had the full wheelset made up with DT240 and Pilar spokes and build is top notch as well. Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblytumbly View Post
    https://www.carbonfan.com/ Skyweight models. I've been riding mine for a couple months now and they are stellar. Weights on my scale are exactly as promised. I had the full wheelset made up with DT240 and Pilar spokes and build is top notch as well. Highly recommended.
    How long did it take to get your wheelset in?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Took about a week for the build, with great communication. I probably added a day or 2 to that since I had lack of familiarity with the DT series hubs and build options so had some questions. Questions always answered within 12 hours though. Once they're shipped it's typical EMS to local carrier so that's 8-9 days to your door. I didn't pay for any expedited shipping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Interesting! I had a quick look at the wheelset options, what do they mean as spoke drilling:

External nipple 4.5mm & UST No expternal Hole - did you actually order this way so tubeless tape no longer required?

thanks
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Note that the correct ERD for the 29" rims is 595mm, not 591mm as listed on their website.

Luckily, I always wait to receive the rims and measure the ERD myself before ordering any spokes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    Interesting! I had a quick look at the wheelset options, what do they mean as spoke drilling:

External nipple 4.5mm & UST No expternal Hole - did you actually order this way so tubeless tape no longer required?

thanks
    That was one of the questions I had. You can order them with no internal holes, no tape required. Not recommended. Too many downsides from what I researched on other brands that offered/offer this. Requires special nipples, building/truing a hassle, nipples get loose inside and people spend hours shaking them out, technically heavier than a strip of tape. Looks like this was seen as one of the advantages of carbon rims in the early days (no tape), but industry quickly moved on to normal eyelets due to overall hassle factor. That's what the internet tells me anyway. Unless you'll use the glue on tubular sew up tires which is a different rim structure altogether and mostly for roadies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the input rumblytumbly, I fully agree.
    flyMTBfish