Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Carbon wheels from NoTubes.

NoTubes is coming out with new carbon wheels, called Valor (looks like it says Roval on the rim!).

26", 27.5" and 29".
    22mm inner width, 26mm outer
    280g rim weight for 29".
    24h/28h spokes count, might not be same for all sizes
    60% stiffer than Arch EX
    A good deal of vertical compliance.
    Reinforced spoke holes
    BST tecnology
    $1900ish
    Around 100g lighter than their lightest alu wheels (Race 29 Gold rim weighs 320g , and use 32 spokes front/rear), and plenty stiffer.

Carbon wheels from NoTubes.-valor1.jpg
    Carbon wheels from NoTubes.-valor3.jpg
    Carbon wheels from NoTubes.-valor2.jpg

mtbr member
    Now we just have to wait for guys to buy em and try em.

Maromero
    Any plan to change your wheelset Ole? or at least the rims, this would make it sub-kilo.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    Any plan to change your wheelset Ole? or at least the rims, this would make it sub-kilo.
    U bet! I'll replace the rims and save around 200g on my 1173g set. Will be a cool winter project for my 27.5er.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    U bet! I'll replace the rims and save around 200g on my 1173g set. Will be a cool winter project for my 27.5er.
    I haven't seen any word on $$$$

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My source said around 1900 USD.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ERD? Rims available separatly?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

psycho cyclo addict
    After hearing FUD from them in person about how "I'm going to die" on LB (32 hole; that ya might just classify as all mountain maybe) carbon rims... I'll pass thanks.

Not a big fan of their 2.0/ "1.7" spokes either.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    After hearing FUD from them in person about how "I'm going to die" on LB (32 hole; that ya might just classify as all mountain maybe) carbon rims... I'll pass thanks.

Not a big fan of their 2.0/ "1.7" spokes either.
    They have been critical of a lot of different carbon rims over the years. I remember emailing with Stan about this several years ago, and he was not happy about the quality of anything on the market. I ride LB rims myself, and they are ok, but defenitely not high end. I think the new NoTubes rims will be very high quality.

What do you mean by 2.0/"1.7" spokes? I know of no spokes that are 1.7 in either end. Do you mean SuperComp @ 2.0/1.7/1.8? Or WheelSmith DB 14 @ 2.0/1.7/2.0? They are both good spokes.

psycho cyclo addict
    Agree, LB's are in a different class but c'mon now; Stan's has nothing for a long time and bashes most if not all available offerings...

No doubt they will be high quality; hope they offer 32h options for the jolly among us (me included).

On a stock Crest build from Stan's ~ 1 year old, the spokes measure out to 2.0 / <1.7 / 1.8 so they look to be SuperComp's. I lean a bit toward DB14's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm upgrading my Crests the second these are out on the market...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hope they have quality brgs in the hubs, my stan's xtr SS wheel set brgs are pretty low quality compared to my other wheels. (CK, Hope & White Ind)..............

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Why limit their market, 32h rim only please as a loyal Stans rim customer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    I hope they have quality brgs in the hubs, my stan's xtr SS wheel set brgs are pretty low quality compared to my other wheels. (CK, Hope & White Ind)..............
    XTR bearings are low quality? Do tell?
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'll be ordering these as soon as they are available. the weights are unbelievable!

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    XTR bearings are low quality? Do tell?
    Probably a typo,for ZTR. There is no such thing as an XTR SS hub.

mtbr member
    Rumor on the street, like their other high-end wheels, they will have a very prohibitive weight limit.

Go ahead and ride these if you weigh 110lbs or less and you enjoy pavement. Stan's offerings will typically buckle if you sneeze too hard.

I will stick with my Roval's and never have to worry!
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    According to one of the articles posted above, (just a paraphrase) unlike the MMX Race wheels, the carbon offerings will not have a ridiculously low rider weight limit.

On the other hand, I've been riding/racing on the ZTR Race and the MMX Podium rims for 3-4 years now, and I hover right around the max weight for them (165-180 depending on the time of year) and I've never damaged a rim. That's Test of Metal, Cheakamus Challenge, etc... type of riding.

mtbr member
    This promo video has a rider with a Lefty, so that hopefully answers my biggest concern about them.

Stan's NoTubes - ZTR Valor on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    This promo video has a rider with a Lefty, so that hopefully answers my biggest concern about them.

Stan's NoTubes - ZTR Valor on Vimeo
    what concern is that?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    what concern is that?
    ...that they'll have an option for a Lefty front hub.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    Your concern should be that Stan's is making it obvious they don't know much about carbon rims and bicycle wheels in general. I cannot believe he would market this rim as having more flex, like that is a good thing? Come on, carbon rims are not harsh. We've been through this already and everyone agrees, science backs it up, etc.. Now he's gonna come out and claim that because his rims flex a few thousandths of an inch more than other carbon rims they are better? Since when did more flex become a good thing? Are we supposed to believe those enve's he compares them too in the video aren't also much more stiff laterally? Unlike radial stiffness, lateral stiffness actually matters in the real world!

These are just too far on the extreme. 280g is simply too light, not enough material in the bead to withstand rock strikes, too few spokes and too flexy. What is the point of riding carbon rims if it isn't stiffness and durability? There are better and cheaper options out there that you can actually get built how you want, will improve your bike's handling and not have some cheap chinese hub and spokes.

mtbr member
    I ultimately agree with all these arguments. Notubes has the reputation for building their light stuff to weight-weenie levels. I want light and tough, at least, if not cheap. We'll have to see, initial reviews are good.

Quote Originally Posted by climr View Post
    Your concern should be that Stan's is making it obvious they don't know much about carbon rims and bicycle wheels in general. I cannot believe he would market this rim as having more flex, like that is a good thing? Come on, carbon rims are not harsh. We've been through this already and everyone agrees, science backs it up, etc.. Now he's gonna come out and claim that because his rims flex a few thousandths of an inch more than other carbon rims they are better? Since when did more flex become a good thing? Are we supposed to believe those enve's he compares them too in the video aren't also much more stiff laterally? Unlike radial stiffness, lateral stiffness actually matters in the real world!

These are just too far on the extreme. 280g is simply too light, not enough material in the bead to withstand rock strikes, too few spokes and too flexy. What is the point of riding carbon rims if it isn't stiffness and durability? There are better and cheaper options out there that you can actually get built how you want, will improve your bike's handling and not have some cheap chinese hub and spokes.

Lefty Heaven
    Mar 2007
    I spoke to Stan and the No Tubes guys at Interbike. They have no weight limit set. They only produce enough of the rims to supply the full wheelsets at the moment. The rims on their own should be available in the next 6 months or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast