mtbr member

Carbon Seatpost for Carbon Rails?

I'm moving to a bike with a 30.9mm carbon seatpost, but unfortunately the clamping system will not accomodate oval (carbon) rails.

I have a carbon saddle I want to transfer over, and while it works great on an Sworks seatpost (with a 2-bolt-and-half-cylinder system), it's only 27.2mm.

I'm digging through Search here, but in the meantime was wondering if someone could recommend a carbon seatpost, in 30.9mm, that will work with oval saddle rails.

Would be extra sweet if it was in the 229g range, as the current 27.2mm seatpost is.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Enve seatpost? Not cheap and not the lightest out there. But it looks / feels great. Mine came in 200g for 31.6 / 400mm. Comes with 2 clamps for standard and carbon rails.

If carbon seatpost is not a must then my vote to Thomson Masterpiece, got it down to 180g with titanium bolts for a 31.6 / 350mm post. Their clamp fits both standard and carbon rails.

Maromero
    Depending on your wallet you could go for a lighter MCFK or Smud, they have a lower craddle that gives a lot of support to the rails, they are almost the same price as Enve but a lot lighter. I am waiting for a Smud seatpost to be delivered.
    You can also consider carboncycles, not so light, but, a price tag around $80 helps.
    I canibalized the lower craddle of a CC to use it an Al New Ultimate to give more support area to the rails of a KommVor saddle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Carboncycles seat post is good and fairly lightweight, but they don't do a 30.9mm version.

I use a KCNC Ti Prolite seatpost with the carbon oval rails of my San Marco saddle. I haven't had a problem with the KCNC lower cradle and the carbon rails but on the San Marco they are internally reinforced with alu or ti (can't remember which).

You need to spend alot of $$$ on a carbon post before its lighter than something like the KCNC prolite posts (148g for a 30.9mm dia 350mm long). If you were really concerned about the KCNC lower cradle damaging the seat rails then you could also order a lower cradle from carboncycles seat post ($16) like doccoraje has done. So for less than $130 you'd end up with a sub 150g seatpost with good support for a carbon/oval railed saddle.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. The rails on my saddle are roughly the same as the Fizik carbon saddle (7mm x 9.5mm).

Looks like Ritchey has an adapter on their Superlogic 1-bolt system for that size, and I've also found that the Easton EC90 should accept it as-is. Neither of these are inexpensive options though.

Some great options/alternatives in this post, so I'll have to figure out next steps. Thx again for the feedback.

Epic rider
    Syntace P6 full carbon
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    I have the Easton EC90 seatpost on 2 of my bikes (both have carbon railed saddles.) no complaints.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    EC90 works fine for support. Doesn't mean you won't break the rails though. Carbon rails claim to be tougher, but I broke two Tundra 2 carbon saddles and have never broken Ti rails (even hollow Ti).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a Ritchey Superlogic 30.9 400mm and I am liking it so far. It has both the clamps for oval or round. Mine came in at 170 grams.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    Syntace P6 full carbon
    Isn't that one a bit springy / flexy?

mtbr member
    Yup.

I'd say the Syntace or Fizik carbon Cyrano.