Trail rider and racer

Carbon post in carbon frame - Slipping woes

On a recent road ride I noticed that my carbon seatpost is slipping in my carbon frame. Interestingly enough the slippage is not enought, perhaps a mm or so but still enough to make a big difference to my leg extension.

When I position the post to my preferred height, it eventually slips to another point but does not slip from that point. Thus, it could be said, that the slipping occurs only at one point on the post..

Can anyone provide me with any suggestions in overcoming the slipping. Its a right pain, and its occuring on my road bike, so I really notice the lack of height on my seatpost.

If I cannot overcome the issue I'll get a Thompson Masterpiece.

Thanks in Advance...
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    I should have added a few points:

Giant Carbon Post (Shiny one)
    Giant Carbon Road frame
    No grease, no oil and no contaminants that I am aware of.
    Trev!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I should have added a few points:

Giant Carbon Post (Shiny one)
    Giant Carbon Road frame
    No grease, no oil and no contaminants that I am aware of.
    What abot a layer of electrical tape or something?? It may be too thick, but it's worth a shot

Didn't you have this problem with you ellsworth? How about tighening the clamp bolt another 1/4 of a turn?

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    What abot a layer of electrical tape or something?? It may be too thick, but it's worth a shot

Didn't you have this problem with you ellsworth? How about tighening the clamp bolt another 1/4 of a turn?
    From memory electrical tape is too thick for the post, but I am going to give it a go before I head out for a ride today.

The Ellsworth post was more my problem (I think) as I got some cleaner on the post and it never stopped slipping.

I hate carbon Posts to be honest....
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    From memory electrical tape is too thick for the post, but I am going to give it a go before I head out for a ride today.

The Ellsworth post was more my problem (I think) as I got some cleaner on the post and it never stopped slipping.

I hate carbon Posts to be honest....
    You could try putting chalk on the post. I read about all of the problems people had with carbon posts slipping before I bought my EC70, and that was one of the bits of advice I came across. Unless you are sure there has never been grease on the post or in the seat tube, I would clean each thoroughly with degreaser or rubbing alcohol too. When I got my EC70 post I degreased the seat tube, and coated the post with chalk from my rock climbing days - it's never slipped. Since your frame and post are both made by Giant maybe you could email them and see what they have to say.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Cut a shim from a beer can that wraps around the seatpost in the clamping zone. This should provide enough increased diameter as well as grippiness to keep things stiff.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    Cut a shim from a beer can that wraps around the seatpost in the clamping zone. This should provide enough increased diameter as well as grippiness to keep things stiff.
    This would just be a time wasting excersise, when you could just use tape. This beer can method works when the post is undersized for the frame...

Trail rider and racer
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Mike, I sorta went on the idea of the chalk, but since I didn't have any chalk lying around I used some wet and dry sandpaper and "oh so lightly" placed it around my seatpost and twisted the post one revolution to roughen up the surface just a little. This made a nice rough and dusty surface..

2:30 quick road ride and not a single incident of slippage.

Aesthetically you cannot tell that I have done anything to the post since it is only from the last 2 markers that I have sanded which incidentally are not visible to the eye once inserted in the frame...
    Trev!