Specialized

Carbon fibre oval chainring with built in nuts = 16grams

-----
    Last edited by Seb K; 12-24-2016 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Wow, did you cut that by hand? What's the thickness of the carbon sheet (I wasn't sure if you made the sheet yourself or bought it)?

Specialized
    All handmade . it is around 2mm thick .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice! Hope it lasts strong. Let us know when you first ride with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    All handmade . it is around 2mm thick .
    So you're saying you made the sheet of carbon yourself, by laying 6 layers of prepreg fiber together? If so, you did a great job, the surface finish looks like professionally made carbon. It would be great to see some detail on that part of the process, if you made it yourself, or if I misunderstand and you actually bought the 2mm thick plate, I'd love to see what the specs/source were for that material.

Thanks for sharing.

Specialized
    No no no the sheet was bought but it has 6 layers . Srry didn't mean to confuse you .
    I do make my own carbon fibre sheets and kevlar/twaron sheets with simple wet layering but the finish is nothing like this . I also make my own carbon parts using wooden moulds I make . I have to use clear coat in order for it to have a high gloss finish which unfortunately adds weight .

This is where the sheet is from :

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/c...lat-Sheet.html

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    Not sure on the longevity but my FibreLyte chainring is still going after nearly two years (mild use) .

Can you quantify what you qualify as "mild use"? Like once a week/month/year?

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I remember once, during a drunken bike maintenance session years ago, that I had misrouted the chain in my rear derailleur. After only a few spins by hand (while lubing the chain) I noticed the goof up, but it had already gauged the carbon arm.

While the chain is working in concert with the chainring in your case (so not exactly like my stupid example), I'd still expect a lot of wear. (?)

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    About three times a month and only for around an hour . TBH this really would be for racing applications only .

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I remember once, during a drunken bike maintenance session years ago, that I had misrouted the chain in my rear derailleur. After only a few spins by hand (while lubing the chain) I noticed the goof up, but it had already gauged the carbon arm.

While the chain is working in concert with the chainring in your case (so not exactly like my stupid example), I'd still expect a lot of wear. (?)
    Never drink and ride !!!

No you're right it will wear far more than an alloy ring due to metal being harder but you can still get a few hundred miles out of the chainring .
    Stephen from FibreLyte told me his racers put lots of oil on the chain and always clean the chainring after each ride .