mtbr member
    May 2009

Carbon bar failures?

I'd be very interested to hear about real life bar failures. When is going lightweight a bad idea?

conversely. Any tales of longevity and bar badassitude are welcome too

mtbr member

Carbon bar failures?

Two seasons ago, a buddy broke his bars at the stem taking the bike out of his car. It could have been a manufacturing defect, a crack caused by some earlier crash that worked its way into a complete failure, or failure to tighten the stem clamp correctly. I was riding with a pair of MonkeyLite DH bars at the time and they were solid as a rock. I now ride with EC90s, and there is a small but noticeable flexiness to them. No failures so far!

Get to dah choppah
    When you don't own a torque wrench... Many fails are due (as is likely with Mr. Ragenwald) to overtightening stem bolts. CF in general has close to zero crush strength.
    Some other things to be aware of -

Cutting down CF bars can cause issues if not done correctly and/or with the right tools.
    CF bars can suffer from edge delamination failure when using grips (like ESI's), that don't have significant end protection.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    Cutting down CF bars can cause issues if not done correctly and/or with the right tools.
    Can you elaborate on this? I've cut my own bars a couple of times, and would hate to risk anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bar = Easton EC90 flat & front brake = hope mono mini. An over zealous tightening of the brake lever clamp slightly crimped the bar. I loosened and moved the lever over a mm or two and torqued to spec. After 6 or 7 months the bar finally snapped at the crimp due to the downward force from clearing a log pile-to-drop off feature. It didn't snap clean off, more of a ripping and the brake worked fine in hand to get me to a safe stop. Easton replaced free of charge, bar was 12 months or so old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? I've cut my own bars a couple of times, and would hate to risk anything.
    1. You need a carbon specific blade vs just a 32 tooth hack blade: (Universal Cycles -- Park Tool CSB-1 Carbon Cutting Saw Blades

2. Need to sand the edges after the cut, which includes inside and outer edges to make sure there's no loose fibers.

3. I always brush on some clear coat after just to be anal.