Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Calling Egg Beater boffs?

Right, here goes. I apologise in advance if I've posted in the wrong section or whatever.

My goal is to build a light weight, good looking set of Egg Beaters, for as little as possible.

My evil scheme is to buy some Egg Beater C pedals, upgrade with some titanium axles like these and then finish them off with some green end caps to finish them off.

Now, the pedals weigh 296g stock, vs my current Egg Beaters that weight 286g (not a lot in it). If I swap to the Titanium axles, I should be able to get them down to around 230g. Not great, but not bad either. All for less than 80.

There are a couple of concerns. I'm not 100% sure the parts I'm looking for are all compatible. I know it says they're compatible with Egg Beater C in the description of the spindles, but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this. I have no idea if the end caps will work either because the whole website is in German. Also, I want to know what bearings the Egg Beater C's use? I'm worried they use those horrible bushings that basically ruined everyones perception of Egg Beaters. If I knew what year the Egg Beater Cs were, it would make life a lot easier.

Rather than messing around, am I better off just biting the bullet and buying the 11s? Or should I look into getting different pedals all together? I am a big fan of the Egg Beater system, but needs must.

Thanks guys.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Eggbeater C is the old model that uses the "dreaded" bushing on the inner part of the spindle near the cranks, but it has a sealed bearing at the farther end of the spindle. Personally have not had any issues with the bushing on my 4 year old Eggbeater Ti with about 3500 kms though I rarely ride in mud or rain.

If you want something that does away with the bushing then you should get these:

++ eggbeater3 pedals :: crankbrothers.com ++

If you don't mind the bushing on the inner part of the spindle then these should do:

++ eggbeater2 pedals :: crankbrothers.com ++

If you get the 2 then you should get these as you're likely to destroy the plastic caps on the 2 the first time you try to remove them:

(They come in several different colors)

J&L CNC MTB pedal End Caps/nut for Crank Brothers/Xpedo/Wellgo/Tioga/Exustar-Grn | eBay

For Ti axles get these:

Ti Spindles Fit 2011 Crank Brothers Egg Beater 2 Pedals | eBay

They claim that their USA Ti is better than the Taiwanese ones.

They fit the EB 2 and 3, but note that they are about 45 to 50 grams lighter than the stock spindle and not 60 grams as claimed. Installation is pretty easy.

An EB 2 or 3 with Ti spindle will be 230 to 235 grams and cost around $160 total, it's up to you if you want to spend another $200+ to save another 60 to 70 grams by getting an EB 11.
    Last edited by tracke30m3; 11-29-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by tracke30m3 View Post
    An EB 2 or 3 with Ti spindle will be 230 to 235 grams and cost around $160 total, it's up to you if you want to spend another $200+ to save another 60 to 70 grams by getting an EB 11.
    I paid 240 + shipping for my EB 11.
    just check around ebay.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much for the info. I do already have some EggBeater 3s. I should have mentioned that I''d like for them to be black and green if possible? (I know, I'm a tart). Which is what attracted me to the Egg Beater Cs in the first place.

Could you please provide a solution for the Cs? I'm not discarding your advice by the way, just weighing up all of the options

mtbr member
    May 2011
    $240 for 11's is a great price. If you can scour Ebay and find a pair for that price it could be the way to go, they won't be black though.

If you want black then your only option would be the EB C's, I believe these spindles from Ward Industries should work:

95.85 Long Ti Spindles Fit Crank Brothers Egg Beater SL | eBay

You can email Ward Industries just to be sure.

Home Page

As for the caps, I believe all Eggbeaters take the same type of cap.

mtbr member
    That's really useful information mate, thank you very much. I might go for that option instead

Again, I know im being a tart but they'll look mint on my bike

Are the older Egg Beaters (with bushings) noticably rougher than the newer ones, or do they feel exactly the same?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i have destroyed every pair of eggbeaters either by wearing them out(bushings and bearings) or getting a minor pedal strike.

crankbros will not warranty my older ones so i had to throw them away and now have had the same issues with the newer ones from my Ti versions to my cheapy ones on my commuter.

i like the design, but they do not last.

researching other pedals with the same float(for my knee) now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have almost 4000 km on a pair of EB Ti's plus a few hundred km each on a pair of EB2 and Candy 3. No issues so far. I've been very careful with pedal strikes since I've heard that CB pedals don't like them.

Rebuild kits are available when bushings and bearings wear out but I have yet to replace anything due to wear.

I've honestly have not noticed any difference between the EB with bearing + bushing and the ones with bearings + bearings. But I can imagine getting greater play when the bushing wears out but since rebuilding is so easy I don't feel it's an issue.

mtbr member
    I'm in two minds about what to get I think with Egg Beaters, the key is looking after them. Making sure you rebuild them after mucky winter rides etc.

I like rigid MTB.
    I bought a pair of Eggbeater 1(256g. per pair) and I already ordered a pair of Ti spindles for it. The finished mod. will be 196grams. Total cost is US$110. Not bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    I bought a pair of Eggbeater 1(256g. per pair) and I already ordered a pair of Ti spindles for it. The finished mod. will be 196grams. Total cost is US$110. Not bad.
    Are you sure they're 256g as Crank Brothers list them as 280g on their site:

++ eggbeater11 pedals :: crankbrothers.com ++

What is actually the difference between the 1 and 2 (except about 8g) - anyone know?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    What is actually the difference between the 1 and 2 (except about 8g) - anyone know?
    The 1 has stamped steel wings and body, the 2 has a stamped steel wing and a cast stainless steel body. The 3 has cast stainless wings and body, so the 3 is roughly the same as the old Eggbeater SL.

If you're prone to pedal strikes, the 1 won't last nearly as long as the 3
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The 1 has stamped steel wings and body, the 2 has a stamped steel wing and a cast stainless steel body. The 3 has cast stainless wings and body, so the 3 is roughly the same as the old Eggbeater SL.

If you're prone to pedal strikes, the 1 won't last nearly as long as the 3
    Ah, thanks for the input. So it's really just down to longevity? Is the 1 able to be rebuilt/serviced like the others?

ups and downs
    Yes, rebuild kits are available for the new Eggbeater. The other difference I neglected to mention, the 3 has an inner needle bearing instead of a bushing.

mtbr member
    Yes, rebuild kits are available for the new Eggbeater. The other difference I neglected to mention, the 3 has an inner needle bearing instead of a bushing.
    Yeah i n oticed that - is that for performance reasons or to make them more reliable?

ups and downs
    It should make them more reliable, that's one of the weak links with the bushings, they wear quickly once grime gets in past the seals.

I like rigid MTB.

It said so in the box....256g. per pair.

Are you sure they're 256g as Crank Brothers list them as 280g on their site:

++ eggbeater11 pedals :: crankbrothers.com ++

Crank Brothers Eggbeater 1 egg beater SILVER bicycle pedals xc race NEW | eBay

mtbr member
    That's interesting - makes them lighter than the 2 and 3, doesn't it?

I have some 1's on order so hope they're right!

ups and downs
    The stamped steel wings and body are likely lighter, but they will wear faster and are more prone to damage from rock strikes than the cast wings and body.

mtbr member

Turned up yesterday, not quite 256g.

ups and downs
    Their ad copy people are probably slightly dyslexic

mtbr member
    Their ad copy people are probably slightly dyslexic
    Probably use the same people as Selle Italia

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Getting confused now......

If I am correct both the 1 & 2 share the old design (bushing+bearing) and only the 3 use the inner needle bearing

My Ti spindles (Ward Ind) are starting to show significant wear in the bushing area, so I think the right move would be to switch to EB3, hopefully the needle bearing run on an inner steel sleve, and not on the bare spindle......

Please confirm
    thanks
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

I like rigid MTB.

My EB 1 is not the same as yours.

Turned up yesterday, not quite 256g.

My EB 1 is not the same as yours. The Crank Brother logos are light grey in color, not black. I will weight it in the post office and report back my finding.

Last edited by edle; 12-30-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add more info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Convert Candy's?

I have some blue Candy 3s that need rebuilding and wondering if I can ditch the platforms in the process?

Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast