Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Are these the new Egg Beaters? :O

Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | MTB | Bike Finance | All Terrain

Googled it, they're from 2008-2010 :/
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

ups and downs
    Cool, they still have some 2Ti's in stock

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    Are these the new Egg Beaters? :O

Googled it, they're from 2008-2010 :/
    Noop, those are now substituted by the EB 11
    Last edited by doccoraje; 12-31-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    My EB 1 is not the same as yours. The Crank Brother logos are light grey in color, not black. I will weight it in the post office and report back my finding.

Mine are light grey also - i think that is just the way the light is hitting them in the picture, making them look black.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of getting the Cs with the long ti spindles tbh. If I can get hold of some green end caps, I'm in business.

mtbr member
    Anyone have an approximate weight of the Eggbeater 11's with TiSpindles.com spindles?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Anyone have an approximate weight of the Eggbeater 11's with TiSpindles.com spindles?
    Went ahead and contacted Crackbrothers to inquire how much their spindles weigh. They said they weight about 30g each or about 60g total. TiSpindles.com lists their spindles as weighing 62grams total. So, theirs no real weight advantage to swapping out the spindles. There is supposedly a strength and reduced flex advantage.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Went ahead and contacted Crackbrothers to inquire how much their spindles weigh. They said they weight about 30g each or about 60g total. TiSpindles.com lists their spindles as weighing 62grams total. So, theirs no real weight advantage to swapping out the spindles. There is supposedly a strength and reduced flex advantage.
    I don't think I've heard of anyone replacing the ti spindles in the top of the line 11's with aftermarket ti spindles. Despite being able to add 2 grams for only $60. I'm pretty sure most folks are using the ti spindles to upgrade 3's as a way to get most of the weight savings of the 11's without the huge cost. Sort of a roll your own twinti.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    ^ this.

I have EB3s and I'm getting the to spindles to cut the weight down a bit. Until I get EB11s!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Calling Egg Beater boffs?

is there any advantage, other than slight weight savings, to using the shorter spindles offered by tispindles?

ups and downs
    Only if you'd benefit from a narrower Q factor.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Calling Egg Beater boffs?

ok cool. thanks.

anyone know the weight of the stock spindles in the 2011 EB 2?

mtbr member
    This photo shows the old style cromoly spindles on the left, and the short Ward Ind. Ti spindles on the right.

The new spindles should be around the same weight, and Ti is usually about 2/3 the weight of steel.

BTW, my 2 Ti with short Ti spindle eggbeaters are 189g. I train on Eggbeater 3's (289g) and race on the "3 Ti's"
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    I have some blue Candy 3s that need rebuilding and wondering if I can ditch the platforms in the process?

Fred
    I would strongly recommend against running eggbeaters without the guard unless you ride very tame trails. All it takes is a single rock strike and they're done. Heck, maybe even just thinking about rocks will cause them to break, they are very fragile. If you pedal strike during a race you'll be very sad when you can't clip in/out, and the plastic guard on the Candy 3's is super lightweight anyway. The more expensive pedals come with metal, which is heavier, but more durable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325 View Post
    I would strongly recommend against running eggbeaters without the guard unless you ride very tame trails. All it takes is a single rock strike and they're done. Heck, maybe even just thinking about rocks will cause them to break, they are very fragile. If you pedal strike during a race you'll be very sad when you can't clip in/out ...
    This is crazy, I have used nothing but eggbeaters since they were out - maybe 2002? , average 20-25 long distance races per year, training and trail riding any other free weekend and beside the occasional rebuilt I have yet to damage a pedal from rocks, roots, pedal strikes and crashes. My flesh and bones haven't been as bulletproof.
    Reality check please?
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Maybe you live somewhere without rocks, or maybe you're just a super clean rider, I dunno. I tried cageless eggbeaters about 5 years ago in AZ and broke 3 pedals over the course of 6 weeks. Thankfully all were just trail rides, but I was afraid it would eventually happen in a race. The retaining springs bent every time I had a pedal strike against a rock (crank bros replaced them all btw, which is pretty awesome). When I got the 3rd replacement pedal from crank bros, I transferred them to a road bike and I am currently running the composite cage for xc and the metal cage for trail. I tend to have a lot fewer pedal strikes on my xc bike, due to a higher bottom bracket and usually riding it over tamer terrain. IMO the weight saved by eliminating the cage is not worth the risk. Candy's with the composite cages are already lighter than all but the most expensive naked eggbeater, and are 100 grams lighter than XT.

mtbr member

Re: Calling Egg Beater boffs?

Maybe you live somewhere without rocks, or maybe you're just a super clean rider, I dunno. I tried cageless eggbeaters about 5 years ago in AZ and broke 3 pedals over the course of 6 weeks. Thankfully all were just trail rides, but I was afraid it would eventually happen in a race. The retaining springs bent every time I had a pedal strike against a rock (crank bros replaced them all btw, which is pretty awesome). When I got the 3rd replacement pedal from crank bros, I transferred them to a road bike and I am currently running the composite cage for xc and the metal cage for trail. I tend to have a lot fewer pedal strikes on my xc bike, due to a higher bottom bracket and usually riding it over tamer terrain. IMO the weight saved by eliminating the cage is not worth the risk. Candy's with the composite cages are already lighter than all but the most expensive naked eggbeater, and are 100 grams lighter than XT.
    What are cageless eggbeaters? The only bit of "cage" I can picture is the bit that actually holds the cleat. Can't picture them working without it.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I was referring to the 'Eggbeater' as 'cageless' vs the 'Candy', which has a cage/guard to protect the retainer spring from impacts.

mtbr member

Re: Calling Egg Beater boffs?

I was referring to the 'Eggbeater' as 'cageless' vs the 'Candy', which has a cage/guard to protect the retainer spring from impacts.
    Ah I see! Thought I was missing something!

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've only been running my TwinTi eggbeaters for 11 years, riding and racing in Arizona on trails like the 50 year trail, National Trail, BCT, Rock Rabbit, etc. and I've never had a problem with them. I have gotten some newer egg beaters with the needle bearings and they spin much smoother than even freshly rebuilt bushing models. I've had those for about a half a year, racing McDowell, White Tanks, Sierra Vista, and Estrella so far with no problems whatsover. The only pedal I've had problems with were some SPD-style Ritchies in the 90's. I bent the SPD portion on the bottom of the pedal with a rock strike going up National and could only clip in on one side after that. I switched to Time ATACs after that, and although the bodies got beat to hell and had pieces coming off, they kept working. But never a problem from pedal strikes with my Eggbeaters, even though the ends of my cranks are typically beat to crap from rock hits. The biggest problems with Eggbeaters is just needing to replace the cleats every 3-4 months.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2