Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Buy new pedals 244G/pair

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  bradoemba 
#1 ·
Well i want to buy these lightweight pedals
BPD-13 - Pedals - BBB

But the thing is rider weight limit is 85KG i weigh about 10-15Kg more
so will they break clean off when i put on some pressure while climbing or will i be ok?
since i can´t ride real XC i will ride more gentle terrain and not risk hitting them on rocks and stuff, so if stand up pedaling might i break them?

#4 · (Edited)
let´s re- do this.
how much weight do i gain from going to tubeless?
also is it worth the cost of a Romin saddle with hollow Ti rails?

i was thinking of the S-works MTB post and the phenom pro saddle but i can´t justify the cost of it even though i might gain a few hundred grams but still a lot of money.

#5 ·
Hi i don´t wanna start a new thread so i´ll keep it on this one.
Here goes
i have the MAgura MT6 brakes that comes with the 2013 epic carbon expert.
i have changed stems to S-Works SL 75mm the other one was too long for me as my back and neck got injured last summer.
i have also changed the bar to the S-works low rise enduro i think i need to have a more upright position otherwise i would have bought the flat S-Works bar.
And i have the S-works bar ends don´t know if i should get rid of them to get the weight of the bike down i have also bought the S-works Ground Control tires for more grip a little heavier than the fast track´s.
i have also bought me the S-works carbon seatpost and the phenom pro team edition saddle. the question is with all these changes how much lighter might it be vs stock weight?
the list is:
stem Sworks sl
bar sworks carbon low riser
sworks seatpost
phenom pro team edition saddle
bar ends sworks carbon
XTR pedals (not yet bought)
Sworks Grund control tires

so question 2
shall i put on a 43g side load bottlecage or go with a 3L hydrationbag? in my Evoc FR backpack?
alot of questions :)

well hope you understand what i´m asking and mean

#6 ·
Unfortunately, only you can answer those questions. To you, is the functionality of bar ends more important than the weight savings? Is the comfort of that seat worth forgoing for something more expensive and lighter? Is it worth the cash to you to save a few grams on a seatpost?

There is always a trade off. Light doesn't necessarily mean more fun, or better, it just means lighter. IMO, especially for "contact points" like bars/grips/seats/pedals, comfort and strength win over weight.

Heck, even the bottle vs. backpack will have pros and cons on both sides. I'm a backpack guy, but know many who would rather use a cage and saddle bag.

#8 ·
yeah i´m a back pack guy too besides this new backpack has a spine protector so i won´t hurt my back too bad if an accident occurs :)
i only bought the expensive saddle and seatpost for the need to have something nice and lite but like you say a romin expert might be more comfy than the carbon railed phenom but hopefully they last and won´t break as soon as i hit the dirt trails :)

#10 ·
been riding Crank Bros for 10+ years. Currently on the Candy 1s mentioned above. $42 online delivered; 2 oz lighter than XTR. Recently been borrowing bikes from friends and demoing others with SPDs - noticed no difference while riding. See no reason to spend more for heavier pedals. The older ones would wear out, but they are so damn cheap that replacing every few years is no big deal. Another downside is that it is not easy to swap bikes with other non-believers on SPDs. On the upside, a convenient excuse to not let others ride you bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.