mtbr member

Bummer... Bottom Bracket Fiasco

I don't know if anyone remembers the topline cranks I posted a while ago, but I stripped the purple off (they look pretty sweet, I'll post pics when a friend returns my digicam) and was onyl waiting on a nice ti BB to put them on my bike. I found the perfect one on ebay, a brand new Specialized weighing 149g 72x107 what I thought was the perfect size.

When it arrived I noticed it listed microdrive as a 117mm spindle instead of 107 and my cranks bottomed against the cups. I think I just misheard scrublover when he told me what size to get because 107 and 117 sound a lot alike. I'm 10mm of ti axel until my ww project is finished and I don't want to wait around of ebay forever for a BB of the right size.

So the point of my post is does anyone have a 117mm ti BB or spindle they want to trade and I'll pay your shipping.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    nope, you heard right. i used a 107 on it. but that was also on older frames. (titan ti halftrac, a 97 kona explosif mostly) it was on a 2000 giant xtc se-1 and needed a longer one for that frame.

what are you using it on? i had no problems with it. i used it with a couple different BBs on different frames, but probably 3/4 of the time i used a 107. and this was all with rings installed, before i went to SS.

if it's on a newer frame, yeah, you're likely going to need something wider. no idea how much wider though.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

suntour microdrive BB spindle requirements...

were different than shimano's compact and XTR BB spindle requirements. A Suntour MD compatible spindle length would be 113 to 117mm, shimano was 107 to 113mm. Topline NEVER made a shimano compact/XTR BB compatible crankset. They made ones for the old 122/127.5mm standard size BB standard, and the then new (1992) suntour Microdrive BB standard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dcm311
    I don't know if anyone remembers the topline cranks I posted a while ago, but I stripped the purple off (they look pretty sweet, I'll post pics when a friend returns my digicam) and was onyl waiting on a nice ti BB to put them on my bike. I found the perfect one on ebay, a brand new Specialized weighing 149g 72x107 what I thought was the perfect size.

When it arrived I noticed it listed microdrive as a 117mm spindle instead of 107 and my cranks bottomed against the cups. I think I just misheard scrublover when he told me what size to get because 107 and 117 sound a lot alike. I'm 10mm of ti axel until my ww project is finished and I don't want to wait around of ebay forever for a BB of the right size.

So the point of my post is does anyone have a 117mm ti BB or spindle they want to trade and I'll pay your shipping.

I don't have a spindle or BB but I was watching that BB on ebay and if you end up not using it I'll take it off your hands.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004

DeeEight is correct

Ages upon ages ago I had both Toplines and Topline superlights, and when they were on my 94 Manitou FS it was a 127 spindle. Usually cro-mo frames were 122.
    Good luck finding a BB.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    occassionally you see 117mm Ti syncros spindles alone on ebay (I got one that way), but they're for the later generation hardcore series BBs with the thicker than normal cartridge bearings (like 50% thicker) they went to, after experimenting for a year or so with a BB that ran two 6903 bearings on the drive side and one on the non-drive side. They switched instead to one cartridge bearing per side, in a larger size.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    well, whatever was supposed to be used........

i just told him what i used with it, and what worked fine for me. i'm the one who sold him the crank, afterall. but then, i also have no idea what frame/rings/derrailleurs he's trying to use it with.

eh, outa my hands. just hope it works for him. should be able to find what he needs on e-bay.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creaky63
    I don't have a spindle or BB but I was watching that BB on ebay and if you end up not using it I'll take it off your hands.
    Yep, I'll send it right back out the door. I'll be gone for the next few days, but I can ship out on monday or tuesday. To everyone else, thanks for all the help, but I am still slightly confused.

I have a Fisher SuperCal 29 frame with a 73mm shell and would like to run Topline SL cranks. The box of the Specialized BB said I need a 117mm spindle, but other people have written anywhere from 117 to 127.5. I would like as low a Q-factor as possible so the shorter the better. I'm running 42/32/20 Vuelta flat rings with an XT front D. The problem with the 107 had nothing to do with the frame--the cranks bottomed out against the BB cups.

Also, DeeEight can you get the spindles you sell in a 117mm length to fit my cups?

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    I think I have one at home. I bought it second hand to go on a triple road bike, but sold the bike before I installed it. I think it's a White Industries, and I was told it was installed, but not ridden. If you're still in need, e-me and I'll pull it out and measure the length and shoot some pics. I wouldn't want to trade, since I don't need a 107mm BB either, but I'd sell it real cheap. I have no use for it.

Kathy (kts3 at columbia dot edu)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I think I have one at home. I bought it second hand to go on a triple road bike, but sold the bike before I installed it. I think it's a White Industries, and I was told it was installed, but not ridden. If you're still in need, e-me and I'll pull it out and measure the length and shoot some pics. I wouldn't want to trade, since I don't need a 107mm BB either, but I'd sell it real cheap. I have no use for it.

Kathy (kts3 at columbia dot edu)
    I don't know if you check your email or this board first, but I'd definately like to get that spindle from you. My email is dcm311atyahoodotcom

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    I don't know if you check your email or this board first, but I'd definately like to get that spindle from you. My email is dcm311atyahoodotcom
    Check your e-mail! I sent a couple pics.

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.