ito
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Building up 29er race rig....suggestions?

So I raced this past year for the first time seriously. Podiumed a bunch, upgraded to expert(look at me, I'm a big man now!) for Mammoth and have goals of making semi-pro in the upcoming seasons. So, while I love my Karate Monkey it is heavy and singlespeed isn't going to cut it for a number of races I'm going to.

So I know the frame I want, but some of the components I don't know so well. It will be a 1x9 with a rigid fork, thompson components, X.O shifter and rear der., Fizik Gobi, Bontrager has a 12* bend flat bar I'm looking at, Eggbeater pedals, and tires to be decided on.

Wheels:
    Stans ZTR 29er(with what hubs?)
    American Classic Disc
    Something else?
    If I build up a set I'm thinking Hope Hubs but CK's are tempting me.
    I'm thinking tubeless, in which case the Stans are probably the best bet.

Brakes:
    Marta, Marta SL
    Hope mini
    Avid Juicy 7

Cranks:
    External BB is a must
    FSA?
    Shimano seems to be the best system I've worked on yet
    Truvativ?

Lightweight is good, but I need a bike that is durable. I'm 140lbs, 5'7" and while I like to think of myself as a smooth trail riding I come from a downhill background and tend to be a very agressive rider. I want some parts that will last the season. Standards are good as is availability of parts.

If you can give me your thoughts on what works and what won't and what you've ridden please speak up. Thanks.

The Ito

mtbr member

Ok here is some opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by ito

Wheels:
    Stans ZTR 29er(with what hubs?)
    American Classic Disc
    Something else?
    If I build up a set I'm thinking Hope Hubs but CK's are tempting me.
    I'm thinking tubeless, in which case the Stans are probably the best bet.
    Light wheels are key in my opinion, there are alot of pro racers riding out there one heavy wheels. I know the former Yeti team (T-Lowe and Rowney) used to run around on 1700g wheels A Class wheels (to best of my knowledge)... Imagine how fast they would be with much lighter wheels.

You are riding a 29'er so your rotational mass will be larger than normal no mater what. But the American Classic disc wheels look promising at around 1490g, I have had a good run with the hubs, having not touched them for over a year - others arent so lucky. I think you should go the Am-Calssic hubs, they are light- reasonably durable and easy to find spares for.

Brakes:
    Marta, Marta SL
    Hope mini
    Avid Juicy 7
    I have used the Magura Marta's for well over a year, again without touching them - they have never even been bleed. I am pretty hard on my brakes and they have never failed me. They are light and the SL's are even lighter. Talk to bike_freak about the Juicys he will be able to tell you a few of the problems that his mate has encountered. They dont sound all that good.

Cranks:
    External BB is a must
    FSA?
    Shimano seems to be the best system I've worked on yet
    Truvativ?
    Raceface Dues XC, the FSA MegaEXO are way heavy, at 870g... With a change of rings (Extralite or TA Specialties), bolts (FSA T30) and taking out the shell on the DuesXC, you can get the cranks down to 885ish - thats 10g off XTR, for about $400USD. They are nice and stiff, relaible and look trick. I love my dues cranks

If you can give me your thoughts on what works and what won't and what you've ridden please speak up. Thanks.

The Ito

Now a bit left feild - Why a 29'er? I cant say I have ever riden one, but I cant imagine a 29'er being much of a benifit over a 26".
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

ito
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    Now a bit left feild - Why a 29'er? I cant say I have ever riden one, but I cant imagine a 29'er being much of a benifit over a 26".
    I've been riding a 29er for the past two years and love it. It's different, which I like, it rolls fast, descends quickly and is great in all sorts of conditions. Now I haven't done a side by side comparison of 29ers and 26er wheels, but I don't really care to. Handling is definitely different, I think improved for the type of riding I'm doing, and I like how it rolls over everything. I'm also running rigid front and rear, for weight savings and once again because it is different and quirky....like me. It gets attention at races and works well for me. With a rigid bike I think a 29er is almost a must. Rigid 26 wheels seem to get worked over by some courses and trails I ride.

Mostly though I just like bikes that are different. I raced DH on a hardtail(in the regular class), I ride a rigid, ss, 29er, have a brakeless bmx bike, road biked with a fixed gear, and just built up a real road bike out of an older frame I found for $150 and a Dura Ace parts kit that a racer buddy of mine had, I also used to ride trials. I like different stuff. Rigid, 1x9, 29er race bike with a custom frame from a friend of mine just seems to scream my name.

The Ito

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

29er

Maybe you have to post this one on the 29er board, 29er wheels are way too heavy for a Weightweenie forum

(Raced my 9kg 29er this weekend and got third )

Recovering couch patato
    Sounds like it will be a really cool build!

Stay away from the American Classic hubs. IMO they're on the not-so-durable end of the range. Save a bit on your brakes and get DT hubs.

Cranks. If there's any 94mm 5-arm external bearing cranks out there, you might consider those. Allows you to gear down to 30t or even 29t if the climbing ahead in a race scares you. An extra bolt to hold the chainring seems nice too. I'll concur that Shimano makes very good stuff. My EB LX's went to my buddy, and he loves them.

I have an OEM Gobi and it seems to be very good. For sub-2hr XC Racing I'll stick to lighter seats though, SLR and TT and such.

I'm weird at that, but my 185mm Formula Extreme brkes make me really happy. Just don't have them on a bike I ride right now. Barely heavier than your choices, and the Moto lever's name says it all.

What about that Bontrager 12º flat bar? Carbon please?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I too am building a weightless 29er. a Salso Dos 9 with a lot of road parts. I will never make the record books, but If it's over 23lbs I'll be depressed. I'll be running 3x9 also.

For wheels I've chosen AmClassic hubs (I too have had excellent luck with mine) and Sun ME14a road rims. These are 20mm wide and weight about 410 a pop, this is acutally a 10g per rim savings over my 26" set (velocity VXC) now the tires are just depressings, I'm going to use either Bonti ACX folding at 570g a piece or Schwalbe Little Alberts 530g?, either way it sux compared to Conti's Supersonic offerings...mmm 29" Explorer Supersonics...

As for the rest of your build, minus the cranks we sound the same, I'm 5/7 145 lbs.

Shane

ito
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    What about that Bontrager 12º flat bar? Carbon please?
    Well it isn't carbon, at least what I have seen. The new Trek 7.6 FX comes with a 12 degree bend aluminum bar that is pretty sweet looking. I'm hoping I can pick up one of those aftermarket.

Also I am suspecting something may happen with it as Travis Brown was running a 14 or 16 degree bend bar at Mammoth. I didn't get a good look at it, but I assume it is a Bontrager product.

Haven't heard much on those Formula brakes, I'll check them out.

American Classics, I'm not sure, I've heard love and hate. 50/50 chance isn't really selling me. Where as Hugi hubs seem very promising. Thanks.

The Ito

Recovering couch patato
    Hey, thanks for the info!

Tires...only the very first AcX tires were 570g. Now they're 650g or worse. Bad rolling too, front-only for me, on dust and gravel. Little Alberts? Real weight is 590g as far as I recall, and they're 45mm "wide".
    Best bet for weight/speed is probably the Maxxis Ignitor, consistently weighed under 600g, 580-590g typically.
    Kenda is about to come with a Karma in 2.0 and 2.2 which might be nice. and of COurse NoTubes Vel-Crow 29x2.0 tires, at 505g or so claimed. Tubeless ready.
    Don't build a tubed 29" race bike without using Michelin latex tubes! They just blow away everything else for fit, speed, weight and grip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    When looking for these magic Latex tubes, what size am I looking for?

Shane

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Here's mine, borrowed wheels and no fork...still rides sweet

Shane

Recovering couch patato
    Just the plain 26x2.1 size or something. They don't come in many sizes I think?

Members who have read this thread: 0