mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Build me some wheels!

So I'm in the market for some new WW wheels! I weigh about 147 pounds and live in minnesota so riding is all pretty tame xc. Currently I'm riding a fully rigid 1x10 trek superfly sl 13. I'm hoping to get these wheels about 1450-1350 possibly using the light bike carbon rims. Help me with some suggestions hubs spokes nipples and rims with some weights!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If money is no issue go dt swiss 240 to enve

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Already have that on my other bike want something lighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Carbon easton ec90xc 29. 1416g claimed

Formerly of Kent
    The light bicycle rims aren't any lighter than ENVE rims, so you're really only looking at losing weight at the hubs.

Seems to me that's a case of VERY rapidly diminishing returns on the investment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My wheels weigh 1238g for 29" clinchers. They consist of the following parts

Rims: Light-bicycle 29": 361g+363g
    Spokes: Pillar x-tra lite Titanium on low-tension sides and megalite SS on high-tension (cassette side rear + disc side front, 28/28h): 193g + 17g nipples
    Hubs: Parts of passion rear and Mack Superlight front: 217g+87g

They are REALLY stiff. Even with titanium spokes and 28h drilling. Coming of Notubes race golds the ride is completely transformed. So much more responsive, nimble, precise. I love them. I weigh the same as you and ride mostly fireroads and light XC with a splash of rough trails when I want some fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well the enve are on my full squish. Don't want to switch the wheels over. I don't want to spend as much so that's why I went with the light bike rims, 10 grams lighter and about $500 less per rim. Now it's just hubs and spokes I want to save some weight on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dt 190 hubs are light and reliable

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Marfo View Post
    Rims: Light-bicycle 29": 361g+363g
    Spokes: Pillar x-tra lite Titanium on low-tension sides and megalite SS on high-tension (cassette side rear + disc side front, 28/28h): 193g + 17g nipples
    Hubs: Parts of passion rear and Mack Superlight front: 217g+87g
    Finalliy, someone using Mack hubs! I've been looking for feedback on them with no luck.
    Any reason for not using the Mack SL on the rear? I'm planning to build a 27.5 wheelset with LB rims, Mack SL hubs and Pillar Megalite SS spokes, still wondering about Alloy or brass nipples.
    Sorry for the hijacking, Niner'd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Np man was just about to ask the same! The hubs look sweet and very reasonable for a light weight handmade hub, any problems with them?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner'd View Post
    Np man was just about to ask the same! The hubs look sweet and very reasonable for a light weight handmade hub, any problems with them?
    Good comparison for hub weight and prices.
    FAQLoad - Lightweight MTB disc hubs

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Extralite hyper hubs are the lightest hubs I know of. Haven't heard any horror stories about them. Paired with sapim cx-ray is a fairly safe option for spokes and alloy nipples. Are you looking at the LB wide rims? I'd highly recomend the extra 20 grams or so as they are on the new manufacturing process.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    doccoraje: The reason I'm using P.O.P rear instead of Mack rear is that I got the pop for 300 brand new =) Mads Kock is about to build a wheelset of Mack front and rear, might ask him. Not sure if he's lurking around here anymore.

The front hub is ok, but needs quite a bit of grease on order not to creak after some really wet rides. Sealing is not the best out there, but it's an 87g hub for 120. I can live with a little maintenance. Which btw is just to pop out the endcaps by hand or by using the QR, no tools needed.

I've used an Extralite hyperrear earlier, but I kept chipping the teeth on the floating ring. I weigh 150lbs and crank out a max of about 1300w, so no super-highpowered rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So I ended up with tune prince princes that I got for a great deal lb am rims and pillar mega light spokes. Can't wait to ride it post pics when built and weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Build me some wheels!

So I ended up with tune prince princes that I got for a great deal lb am rims and pillar mega light spokes. Can't wait to ride it post pics when built and weight.
    Where did you get the hubs from?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

Maromero
    Not built yet? Waiting for pics and first impressions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Stan's is coming out with their weight-weenie carbon rim called the Valor.

Its ridiculously light, but sounds matched to your riding and weight. Combine with some DT240s and have them laced by someone who's really good and you might have a really light, tough set of wheels (tough by XC standards).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
    Stan's is coming out with their weight-weenie carbon rim called the Valor.

Its ridiculously light, but sounds matched to your riding and weight. Combine with some DT240s and have them laced by someone who's really good and you might have a really light, tough set of wheels (tough by XC standards).
    The Valor rims will not be for sale, only as a wheelset from stan's.

Thumper
    Keep your eye out for deals on the bay. I saw used Tunes at $1400. I picked up my Extralite CarboCambers 1160g at $1250 slightly used in perfect condition. Amazing wheelset!

For 650b guys: used Tune Prince Cannonball Sapim CX-RAY Carbon Rims 1144g still haven't sold and should surface soon starting at $899.