aka Jesse Palmer

We the people ... Build Kit Opinions

I am getting myself a hardtail for collegiate racing next year. My team is sponsored by Beyond Fabrications, a pretty cool little company that makes some killer road bikes and hartails. They have actually been around for a while, I think they were the first to make a beryllium frame.

So what do you guys think of these build kits that I can get from them, anything that I should try to change? I was thinking about getting the XT Kit, but swapping the CrossLand wheels for CrosMax, are they stronger or just lighter, maybe the XLs?

I am also considering going with X.9 shifters and rear derailleur instead of the XT and dual control, any opinions on that? I am just looking for a fairly light but durable race bike, nothing overly extravagant. Thanks for any advice.

XT Disc Build Kit

Component
    Rear Derailleur XT RD-M760 SGS 230g
    Front Derailleur XT FD-M760 167.75g
    Crankset with BB XT FC-M760 865g
    Brakes XT BR-M765 288g
    Shift/Brake Levers XT ST-M765 480g
    Cassette XT CS-M760 294g
    Chain XT CN-HG93 297g
    Headset FSA Orbit Z 82g
    Handlebar Ritchey Pro Rizer 300g
    Grips Pedros 104g
    Stem Ritchey Pro 150g
    Tires Hutchinson Python UST 730g
    Wheels Mavic CrossLand 2070g
    Seatpost Ritchey WCS 235g
    Saddle FSA SLK, Cro-Moly 200g

6492.75g
    14.31 lbs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XTR Disc Build Kit

Component
    Rear Derailleur XTR RD-M960 SGS 203g
    Front Derailleur XTR FD-M960 131g
    Crankset with BB XTR FC-M960 797g
    Brakes XTR BR-M965 240g
    Shift/Brake Levers XTR ST-M965 470g
    Cassette XTR CS-M960 242g
    Chain XTR CN-7701 295.9g
    Headset FSA Orbit Z 82g
    Handlebar Ritchey WCS Rizer 240g
    Grips Pedros 104g
    Stem Ritchey WCS 115g
    Tires Hutchinson Python UST 730g
    Wheels Mavic CrossMax SL Disc 1685g
    Seatpost Ritchey WCS 235g
    Saddle FSA SLK, Cro-Moly 200g

5769.9g
    12.72 lbs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beyond Fabrications mountain frames:
    ChiChi Aluminum 1516g 3.34 lbs (estimate)

Fork: Marzocchi Marathon SL: 1700g - 3.75 lbs
    (also sponsored by Marzocchi)

Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy C: 308g - .68 lbs
    (maybe SLs if I can get some cheap on ebay or something)

Total Weight estimates:
    XT+Frame: 10017g - ~22.0+ lbs
    XT+Frame+CrosMax: 9632g - ~21.2+ lbs
    XTR+Aluminum: 9294g - ~20.5+ lbs

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Wow.. this may take awhile..

If you go with a Shimano groupset, and then change to SRAM shifting, you will also have to change the brakes. It gets expensive, but may be worthwhile. Looking at those build kits.... well... they are a mess for weight weenieism..

Firstly, tires come in pairs, that 730grams is Per tire. I wouldn't use those tires for racing, i'd go for the light weight UST version, that comes in at about 670grams a tire and un sealant with them or get normal non UST tires and run them tubeless (or with tubes).

I'm not a fan of Mavic pre build wheels, they are overpriced, the hubs aren't great, they are expensive to repair and although light for tubeless disc wheels, they come at an extreme cost. You are bettter off with a convential build wheel, using either standard rims converted to tubeless, stans rims (super light weight!), or UST rims, alloy nips, some nice spokes and some nice hubs like kings, DT 240s, Hope Pro2 or AM classics (scared of these).

The FSA saddles aren't great, go with a Selle italia SLR off ebay, they weigh 140grams and are comfortable (atleast compared ot the similiar shape FSA).

Grips - Go for Foam, Ritchey foam grips are one of the most comfortable grips on the market, and only weigh 45grams a pair!

The Ritchey gear is nice, but do you really need a riser bar on a hardtail? Just run an extra wide flat bar and run spacers under your stem. 230grams is very heavy for a bar, my riser bar weighs 135 grams (Maxm, discontinued), and you should be able to find one around that weight (easton comes to mind).

Other then that, it looks like a solid build, but your estimated weights are way off me thinks.

Lastly, consider normal egg beaters over Candies, i have used both, and for racing, the egg beaters are better.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    don't even hassle with dual control
    i would go with the xt group, then you can have more money left over to swap out parts like the shifter, brakes, derailleur, and wheels. then you will be set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Bike build

I just recently completed my machine for this season with an all Sram drivetrain for the first time after years of experience with shimano. Hands down, GO WITH SRAM. I'm absolutely amazed at how much more i like the Sram. I also agree with the eggbeaters. very simple so nothing can go wrong with them. Another good choice for the saddle besides the SLR is the San Marco Aspide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yeah i have to second what was said about Mavic wheels above.

CrossMax's are ok wheels but so overpriced!

STAY AWAY from crosslands. Horrible wheels and you will break alot of spokes

aka Jesse Palmer
    Thanks guys,
    I think I will definately go with the x.9 shifters are rear derailleur.
    I could either get some seperate shimano levers or probably go with hayes el caminos
    I'm not sure about the foam grips, but I can get some for cheap from the LBS so might as well give them a shot.

FSA XC 190 riser bar $50 - I am used to the shape of riser bars, is a flat bar really going to feel as good?

I have some michelin wildgripper comp s 1.9 tires sitting around that I got for free, I think they are ~600g

These wheels from http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/17/cat17.htm?99 look pretty decent and remarkably cheap. WTB Lazer Disc Lite hubs with Velocity VXC rims and DT supercomp spokes. about 100g less than crossmax and only $360 for the pair. nice.

I'll try and pick up a selle italia SLR saddle on ebay to finish it off.

Probably will end up coming in around 22 lbs for the full bike with two tires

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Good choice on the SRAM, if you don't mind gripshift, save some grams and get gripshift instead of the triggers.. but i also prefer triggers

I personally wouldn't get the El camino's for XC racing.. i haven't used them on the trail before, but they aren't light, you would be better off with some like a Hope Mono mini, formula Oro or Magura Marta. Shimano brakes are also nice, just a little heavier.

Ye, give the foam grips a try, if you don't like them, no big deal

If you like Riser bars, then thats fine, just find some light weight ones, Easton, FSA, Maxm (hard to find these days) make lightweight carbon bars, anything under 170 is good.

Get some different tires for racing, do a search on the boards, but if your racing in dry dusty conditions, then look at Kenda's or Scwalbe tires.

Those wheels are awesome, you need to be careful with the hubs, as they are just rebadged AM classic hubs, so some people have good luck with them, others don't. Mike Garcia (the man behind that website you gave a link to), is a genious with wheels, and not only has great deals, but his wheels are just plain awesome (best service too!).

aka Jesse Palmer
    The FSA 190g bars seem like a pretty good balance of weight/cost, It looks like I would have to spend twice to three times as much just to drop 20 or 30 grams... except for this Yeti Carbon Riser: 135g for $50!? thats a pretty sweet deal.

Thanks for pointing out the weight of the brakes. I will probably get the Hope mono minis with two 2-piece rotors.

I heard about the WTB hubs being American Classics, but I think I will just risk it and see how it goes... too cheap and light for me to pass up

Ok so the final theoretical weight is around 21 and a half, I'm sure it will actually be around 22. At any rate This should be about half the cost of the XTR build kit with crossmax wheels and a pound lighter too. I am only about 120lbs myself, but I race pretty aggresively so hopefully everything will hold up.

Members who have read this thread: 0