Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Budget weight weenie

Trying to get my stock hardrock lighter and a bit more suited to XC riding. I know I know, you can't polish a turd. However, I'm not looking for crazy expensive parts. Hell, a cf seatpost or bar/clamp from Taiwan will work for me. Anyone have thoughts or advice without bashing me? :/

ups and downs
    On any inexpensive bike the three places to make the biggest difference are lighter tires (kevlar bead instead of wire bead), lighter wheels and a lighter air sprung fork. Not a lot to be gained in weight saving with small things like seatposts, although a carbon seatpost might make the ride less fatiguing.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

official eMpTyBRain
    Definately, definately, definately get foam grips. They are very light compared to stock grips and they are cheap.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    I wouldn't bother. I would just ride the bike as is and replace things as you wear them out.

... but since you asked.

Blackburn Slick water bottle cages cost $12, weigh 23g and I've never dropped a bottle.
    Ritchey foam grips cost 6-8 dollars, weigh 42g and feel BETTER to me than regular grips.
    Uno and Ibis aluminum stems cost and weigh nothing. I don't think anyone has smashed their face yet.
    KCNC seatposts are light and cheap. Reviews are mixed.
    Rigid fork would save a lot of weight but that's a big change.
    Get the best version of whatever tires work with your riding conditions.

Use Google shopping to look for deals online.

mtbr member

Budget weight weenie

Thanks a lot guys for some of the suggestions.

As for grips....I currently run ODI. They are durable, but don't seem to offer much cushion. How do foam grips hold up?

The stock stem/bars/post seem like they are steel lol. I could be wrong, but they just seem heavy

mtbr member
    I've been using the same Ritchey grips for 3 years, all year long in terrible weather and they look and feel like the day I bought them. They cost less than 10 dollars so if you hate them it's no real loss.

mtbr member

Budget weight weenie

Any specific model of ritchey grip?

Also, I think a carbon post is in order. If anything, the flex should help dampen some of the bumps.

mtbr member
    Boom!

Ritchey WCS True Grips | Ritchey | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

A Syntace Hiflex is a really nice seatpost that is designed to flex but it's not cheap or light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tires. I'm betting you're running wire bead tires, as Spechy is still specing them on the 2013 Hardrocks. Fasttrak sport 29" is over 700grams. Lot of options out there in a folding bead tire like the WTBNineLine in the mid 550's. cut 3/4 lb in tires alone, off your wheelset/rotational weight in particular, and you'll feel more of an improvement than swapping out any seatpost clamp, handlebar, or anything else out there.

Also - finding a nice light ~180-200 gram saddle that you like, and fits you properly - even if it is a little pricey - will drop you 100-200 grams in particular, and will find you a saddle that you like, and will enjoy speding time on. Your specialized dealer should have special fitting kits to help you find a size/shape of saddle that works best with your butt.

mtbr member

Budget weight weenie

Actually, I do have different wheels on the bike. I've had them since the first month I owned my bike (went head on with a Bmxer and folding y stock wheel. I have an FSA wheelset now. I have a set of folding Serfas tires wrapped around them.
    Other than that, the bike is stock. I'll have to see if my dealer has something to check the fit of my butt to a given seat

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good deal then - when I read "stock" in your OP, I was assuming the worst. As others have said, fork can make a big difference in weight - for the ~$300 you can pick up a nice used Reba RL or maybe a Fox F29 if you find one here and there - you can see almost a pound of difference than some of the heavier entry level forks. You could spend the same $300 on bars stem and seatpost, and see nowhere near the same weight savings.

mtbr member

Budget weight weenie

That's good to know adrenalnjunky. These suntour forks have to go

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Make it a SS. and loose the cushy fork.
    Swapmeet.
    Craigslist
    E-Bay.
    Tires first, eggbeaters, then ....
    Depends on your wallet.
    Rims, saddle, bars.
    But remember its all relative.
    A WW bike is under 20 lbs? But if your bike looses 2 lbs. That's big, and you will feel it. Don't let anyone piss on your parade. Have fun.

mtbr member

Budget weight weenie

It would probably be fairly easy for my bike to drop 2-3lbs. It would be really easy for me to drop 2-3 lbs body weight.....does this have the same effect or are there inherent benefits to a lighter bike?

I have some ritchey grips ordered and am looking for a cf seatpost to start this mini project.

mtbr member
    Losing weight off your body will make a way bigger difference than off your bike.

Seriously, I wouldn't bother. Ride what you have into the ground and replace parts as you wear them out
    In two-three years you'll be in better shape and ready to buy a new, lighter/nicer bike.

mtbr member
    It's a tricky situation. When a bike is heavier stock, you can make some really noticeable changes for relatively cheap. The suggestions in this thread are all quite good.

However, Limba makes a great point that as you ride more, you may feel the need for a different bike, so some of the money you spend on upgrades won't get recovered (if/when you sell the original bike).

Have fun with it, as budget allows.

mtbr member

Budget weight weenie

I'm already wanting a newer bike lol. My second race ever is next weekend at sea otter on this Specialized Hardrock disc model lol. Gonna be a handful, but still a good experience.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Budget weight weenie

Which fork do you have on your bike? I spent $262 (including shipping) for the Recon Gold and shaved 2.2 lbs off from the stock suntour XCT v3 100mm. Always a good option.

mtbr member

Budget weight weenie

I switched my stock 80mm suntour for a Giant's 100mm stock suntour :/

Looking for forks can be a headache at times since I don't have a tapered head tube. Where'd you find yours? Also, I'd imagine the recon is a better performing fork, yeah?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    The Suntour Upgrage Program has some REALLY good reviews. You should check it out (in the Beginner's section). Is has all the necessary info. You can get a Suntour Raidon (TONS of happy campers with this upgrade) for $175 through Suntour, but it won't shave any weight off. The Epicon will shave off some weight for ~$250 but you'd have to switch to a 15 mm ta for that one.
    The Recon Gold can be scooped up through Cross Lake Sales or Random Bike Parts (Here) for $238. It's probably your best bet for shaving weight off. I dropped 2.2 pounds from my fork going with that...great upgrade, lots of weight loss, and pocket friendly. Check it out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I took my Hardrock apart and put everything on a digital scale and then started ordering parts. Have a log to go buy if you want any weight numbers on the parts.

1)Fork up grade saved me about 600 grams
    RST Gila 5.2lb
    RoackShox Sektor R 3.9lb

Let me know if I should keep going, the list is long lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGfreak View Post
    I took my Hardrock apart and put everything on a digital scale and then started ordering parts. Have a log to go buy if you want any weight numbers on the parts.

1)Fork up grade saved me about 600 grams
    RST Gila 5.2lb
    RoackShox Sektor R 3.9lb

Let me know if I should keep going, the list is long lol
    I did the same thing with my new bike build - started a spreadsheet with the claimed weights on everything I wanted to put on the frame. As I'm buying parts, I'm comparing claimed vs. real weights, and tracking how far off from my estimate the bike should weigh complete.

Kinda a must-do if you're trying to get sub 24lbs on a full squish 29er, while sticking to a budget. esp on a frame where it seems most people are only getting bikes into the upper 24.5-25.5 mark.

Me Worry?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Specialized HardRock Sport, stock parts
    Stem 372.5 grams
    Seat post 354 grams
    Handle bars 375 grams

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

The uno ultra lightweight stem could save you almost 1/2lb.

If the stem is really Over 300 grams. Check out one of these:

New Uno 31 8 x 90 mm Stem 111G 3G for MTB Road Bike Black | eBay

I'm thinking of picking one or two up at that price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast