Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Budget Weight Watcher Challenge

4K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  bob13bob 
#1 ·
I've been pondering a thought for the weight and wallet conscious riders out there.

How lite can you buy a MTB by spending $2000 (retail) on a multispeed 29er (18" Med/Lrg) hardtail w/100mm FS? Brand and components don't matter.

What bike do you buy and what parts do you swap out if any?
:idea::???:

#2 ·
Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. This should be right around 25 lbs with average weight pedals. Can I spend more than the $2000 on the upgrades..a little confused by your question. If yes, I swap out the wheels for the alloy Roval Controls and ditch the front der./shifter, add a Wolf Tooth ring (direct mount if compatible with the crank) and I am in the 23 range which is plenty light for most people. I would say this would put you at $2700 or so retail; if they shop was nice and would give you a credit for the stockers, maybe closer to $2500. Also, obviously go tubeless in this process.

#3 ·
25# is pretty good for a $2k hardtail. I was looking at the Giant XTC Composite 29er 2. It looks to be pretty light, but I can't find the weight posted anywhere. $2100 for a carbon bike isn't bad.

What I'm really wondering however is if you could get a $1400 bike and throw some superlight $600 wheels on it and get say a 23# bike.

#9 ·
you can build a 22lb bike for under $2k or if you go with Chinese carbon you can probably do a 20lb bike for this price.
Also Sette has some good options for $2k that are 24lb if i'm not mistaken.
If you don't want to build a good option is to buy airborne or BikesDirect bike and upgrade frame and or wheels for rest of the money.

You can get stans wheels that are about 1700g for $500. that's a pretty light wheelset for the money and sure beats anything that's stock on sub $2k name brand bikes.

#14 ·
you can build a 22lb bike for under $2k or if you go with Chinese carbon you can probably do a 20lb bike for this price.
Also Sette has some good options for $2k that are 24lb if i'm not mistaken.
If you don't want to build a good option is to buy airborne or BikesDirect bike and upgrade frame and or wheels for rest of the money.

You can get stans wheels that are about 1700g for $500. that's a pretty light wheelset for the money and sure beats anything that's stock on sub $2k name brand bikes.
rallymaniac,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. 99% of the carbon bikes are made in Communist China, so I don't think the brand matters much. I looked on Ebay and I found a number of 29er frames for about $500. With a $500 set Stans of wheels, that would leave $1000. Now I just need a parts kit with a fork. I was even considering a pair of Chinese carbon hoops, I'm just not sure if it could be done under $2K or if it's worth the extra $.

#11 ·
I think 23 pounds would be doable for around 2k. Find a 29er hardtail in used and good condition for around 1k or 1,200.

Get a set of Stan's crest wheels or something similar. 500-600. You're at 1,600-1,800.

Then go to a 1x9 or 1x10 by removing your other chainrings, front derailleur, and shifter. Get a guide or make one. 30 dollars for chain guide and the price of steel chainring. 60 total... 1,660- 1,860.

Then buy a new set of tires for your conditions.

Move any other lighter parts onto new bike.

In the future upgrade the seat post, bars, seat, and possibly the crank. You've now rebuilt your entire bike.

#19 ·
The only way to get a bike under 25 pounds for $2000.....is to buy ALL the high-end parts USED. Fear not - most of those parts are often well pampered by their owners...who make it a point to baby them, especially after spending full retail!

This works out WELL for you.....

#20 ·
I suppose "durability" hasn't been discussed yet...do you want a durable AND light bike or just a light bike? IMHO, the Cheap-o Chinese carbon combined with budg-o parts aren't going to yield the durability for everyday riding. Just something to think about. Also, nobody even asked the OP...is building a bike what you want or do you want an off-the-shelf complete bike? Building a bike up isn't for everyone and most assume zero cost for assembly..most folks don't have all the necessary tools or the know-how to do all of the build.

#22 ·
The bike can be built from the ground up no problem. The question is more about what is the lightest possible build within the parameters. As for the cheep Chinese frames; they're made in the same factories as the coveted big brands. All of the top rated carbon bike frames are made in China.

#23 ·
If you are going to assume that just b/c a carbon-framed Specialized is made in China that it is the same quality/design etc. as one of the eBay frames...you are smoking something. I am not saying that the eBay specials aren't ok frames to ride..but they are not the same and will not have the same ride quality etc. Generally speaking, the cheaper carbon frames are v. stiff and will likely not be as light as the higher end stuff. I do agree with those above however..if you want a super-light sub-$2K bike, this isn't a bad way to go (eBay/Chinese frame and wheels).

#26 ·
I was thinking the same thing, but lets change the challenge.
26 and 29, fs and ht, can have their own categories
go on price paid, not retail. This will help others plan their deal shopping out.
Both the bike and wheelset + tire should be weighed. Wheel weight savings > frame savings.
Should we remove the tires all together for standardization? Tires contribute signifcantly to weight but they make you faster depending on your terrain.

#30 ·
You make a fair point: there's a big weight range between a small-sized 26 HT and an XL 29er frame with full suspension. We should keep things consistent.

As per another post, I'm working on putting a new WW FAQ together since the existing one is pretty dated. People have asked that I include expected "light" bikes by category, and I think I'll do both a money-is-no-object area, and a budget area.

Hope you guys can contribute to that budget section.

#31 ·
I just finished off my On-one whippet build...until the next part I change out...

The brakes, shifters, and crank all came off another bike so I don't have prices on them. It's all SLX stuff. The rest of the build got done around $1550. The shop scale has her at 20.07 lbs w/ pedals.

#33 ·
Whippet frame 18", Reba solo air, FSA headset, Easton Haven stem, EC70 bars, crossmax rear, crossride front, Raceface narrow/wide 32T, ultegra 28-12 cassette, KMC sl chain, xtr rear mech., Titec xc carbon post, Ti rail saddle from nashbar ( E3 ? ), Klimax lite tires (tubeless).

The slx crank runs with a raceface pressfit bottom bracket. The brakes are an older set of LX hydro's with alligator rotors. I will forever use jagwire braided housing, full length style, for my shifting.

Getting the frame and fork for $400 each is what really got this one done on the cheap. The other big deals were the crossmax rear for $125, and scoring the xtr in a trade. Gotta love the obsolescence discount on 26er/ 9 speed stuff!

I'll get a current pic. up later if you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.