mtbr member

New question here. Budget light fork for very light rider?

I am going to build up a budget light bike for my gf and I need to choose a suspension fork. She is 110 lbs and plans on riding moderate xc. Plushness is a big (positive) factor for her.

Any suggestions?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    well with megaairs now being in the unobtanium category, best thing to track down is an RST XMO O2 or O2 SL.

mtbr member

I have a XMO in great shape that I will sell you.

If you are interested I have a XMO I will sell you for cheap. Let me know

Jensen
    "That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do- not that the nature of the thing is changed, but that our power to do is increased" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    What are the difference etween the MegaAir and the XMO. I too am looking for a fork . Its a shame I didnt buy a mega air when I had the chance... And to think, I laughed at Duckman for paying $130 for it when I would now pay easily that much! I'm drowning in irony and hypocracy *choking smiley face*.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jensen23
    If you are interested I have a XMO I will sell you for cheap. Let me know

Jensen

I sent you a PM.

Cheers,
    Trevor

well, an XMO is basically an RST shell (7050 stanchions, magnesium 1-piece lowers, forged crown, threadless Al steerer) with Englund Total Air Cartridge internals. 76mm travel. Internal compression damping adjustment, choice of three replaceable rebound jets for the cartridges (slow, fast and medium). Oh and its just as light as a MegaAir, and the stanchions are 30mm diameter. Basically prior to the MegaAirs the XMO's were THE budget lightweight fork. I used one for my budgetlight XC build last month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    well, an XMO is basically an RST shell (7050 stanchions, magnesium 1-piece lowers, forged crown, threadless Al steerer) with Englund Total Air Cartridge internals. 76mm travel. Internal compression damping adjustment, choice of three replaceable rebound jets for the cartridges (slow, fast and medium). Oh and its just as light as a MegaAir, and the stanchions are 30mm diameter. Basically prior to the MegaAirs the XMO's were THE budget lightweight fork. I used one for my budgetlight XC build last month.
    How does the XMO perform compared to the MegaAir? Are they as durable and easily servicable?

mtbr member

How budget are you looking?

Probably abit higher than you are looking, But what about a Skareb Elite from JensonUSA, I believe they are going for around $200 abit more than the RST XMO or the veryhard to find Noleen Mega Air- Although I have to say I have always found RST's stuff very suspect.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

1996 Member
    Jun 2004

SID XC's

I have two XC's in excellent shape that were on my 100 pound wife's bikes before we switched to Fox F80's. They are light and plush (due to the steel negative spring). If you know the steerer length you need, I'd sell either one for $75. They are cut relatively short as she rides a 16" frame.
    Contact me at die.spammers2@oldhomepage.com

Quote Originally Posted by tmaybee
    How does the XMO perform compared to the MegaAir? Are they as durable and easily servicable?
    They performed well. I only replaced an XMO on one of my bikes with a MegaAir because the later had grease ports and 24mm more travel. XMO's were not cheap originally either. They were $350US forks when new. Never had any duability problems after using one for 2 years and the only hard part of servicing is remove the cartridges to adjust the damping. Make sure if you buy a used one to get the tool for the air vales if possible, the manual, and the extra rebound jets (forks came new with med jets installed and the tool and the slow and fast jets in a bag).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    my wife's running a Manitou Mars 1. An air fork is great for light riders.
    I also have a sub 3lb old judy w/ englunds on my hardtail, but the travel is a bit less than the mars.