Boj
    mtbr member

Upset Broken Syntace Ti bolt...

Hi all...

as you may know I have built my 17 lb hardtail few weeks ago but over this time I haven't considered it finished cause I was fiddling with steerer height and a few other smaller bits and pieces on the bike.

Last week I weighed the whole bike and it came in at 7862 g (thank you). After weighing it, all I wanted to do was add one more headset spacer and it would have been finished but then (20 min ago) it was all too simple... After putting the spacer in, adjusting the headset preload, I was tigtening F99 steerer clamp and BANG. The bolt broke!!!! Before you ask the obvious question: YES, I was tightening it to the regulation 8 Nm (71inlbs) with a Parktool TW-1 torque wrench and NO, I'm not hung over from last night.

I don't know what to do about it now. I don't want to warranty the whole stem because the turnaround time would be long from Australia but alternatively I have to figure out how to get what's left of the bolt in the thread and use the stock steel bolts in the meantime. Just when I think it is all finished more bike headaches. (((((((

Happy New Year all, btw....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

bang
    you need to get an easy-out. you might be able to find this at your local hardware store. there are usually two tools, a left-handed drill bit and the easy-out. they come in a few difference shapes, but the ones i had were spiral. take a look at this site, it shows what i'm talking about. it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get out.

mtbr member

That blows Boj

But... an Easy Out should be able to get it out- but You will need to take it a machine shop to get the bolt out. Ti cant be easy to drill through, it maybe soft... I dont know

Damn that sucks, what a **** way to start 2005... I scored me two flats on my ride today Ack.

Good to see the bike nearing competion though, when will it be up on www.light-bikes.com? And more important, blitzing around our Aussie race tracks?
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Boj
    mtbr member
    Good news boys...

I managed to get the remains of the bolt out pretty much as soon as I finished typing the previous post. Gently I punched a spot in the bolt center with a punch and a hammer and drilled through the spot. The circular motion of the drilling into the bolt removed it out of threads. I put the stem on with stock steel bolts (ohh the humanity). So from defeat to triumph to start 2005. YAY!!!

Will look into if I can get some warranty claim from Syntace as considering I'm quite diligent about following procedures on torque etc., this really shouldn't have happened. Skip - you owe me a Ti bolt!!!!

The bike is complete now. There is still the matter of cranks loosening, removing the starnut and, relatively more serious issue of rattly front derailleur which does affect shifting, but as it is now, there is no short term things that it needs done to it. With todays final positioning of the handlebar it fits me like a glove and I feel comfortable attacking corners better then ever so it's just a matter of riding it and no more wrenching, hopefully.

As for racing I'm planning to race next weekend, I think it's at Meredith. Don't look for any blistering results though. Although I'm in reasonably good shape I haven't raced in ages and I'm not fully in tune with shoddy front shifting so I'm just looking to see how the bike/myself handle a race.

PS - I made my light-bikes submission just today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boj; 01-01-2005 at 02:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Syntace Ti bolt torque is 6 Nm

The instructions show that the Ti bolts should only be tightened to 6 Nm. Over tightening will lead to the bolt snapping as happened in this case. The other bolts on the stem could also snap at an inconvenient time as they have been over tightened. I would replace all the bolts to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    Will look into if I can get some warranty claim from Syntace as considering I'm quite diligent about following procedures on torque etc., this really shouldn't have happened. Skip - you owe me a Ti bolt!!!!

Boj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by extralite
    The instructions show that the Ti bolts should only be tightened to 6 Nm. Over tightening will lead to the bolt snapping as happened in this case. The other bolts on the stem could also snap at an inconvenient time as they have been over tightened. I would replace all the bolts to be safe.

Torque settings on the stem itself as well as Syntace site say it's 8 Nm.

A little of everything
    Boj, that is for the stock steel bolts.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Bonking ... not feelin' well Boj, Syntace site says 6nm

Ti Bolt Torque specs:

Sizes & Weights
    M 5x14 mm/ 1.8 g / max. 6 Nm
    M 6x16 mm / 2.7 g / max. 10Nm
    M 6x20 mm / 3.3 g / max. 10 Nm
    M 6x35 mm / 4.8 g / max. 10 Nm
    M 6x42 mm / 5.5 g / max. 10 Nm
    M 6x45 mm / 5.9 g / max. 10 Nm

http://syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=373
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Boj
    mtbr member
    Oh no. That means bolts holding my handlebar now are all overtorqued. I'll have to replace remaining 4 bolts tomorrow morning.