mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Bontrager Race XXX Lite Carbon Bottle Cage on mtb

Hey guys, as the title describes can you use a Bontrager Race xxx Lite carbon bottle cage for mtb.

it would seem like a no brainer, but the website (http://bontrager.com/model/06393) specifically says "on road use only".

I was wondering if anyone has used these cages for mtb and if the cages will either break or lose bottles.

Cheers guys.

ups and downs
    I think it would depend on how smooth your trails are, it also says small bottles only, so that makes it sound like it will be a bottle launcher if you're using large bottles and riding rough trails.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the regular race x lite is 6 grams heavier, $30 cheaper and approved for mtb. who would pay $30 for 6 grams. That's $5 a gram.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    yea i would of got the X lite, but i managed to grab a xxx lite off eBay for $30. I only realized the restrictions after i purchased it. Well there is no turning back now, ill get back to you after i get it try it and hopefully not break it.

gone for a bike ride
    bontrager cage race xxx lite

you could always put some stripes of clear silicone sealant on inside of the cage where it contacts the bottle to help it grip better - might add a couple of grams though

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    bontrager cage race xxx lite

you could always put some stripes of clear silicone sealant on inside of the cage where it contacts the bottle to help it grip better - might add a couple of grams though
    ahh yes not a bad idea sir. Might hole punch some old tubes and super glue them on.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i have been using them on my bikes for about 3 years and have not lost a single bottle

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by djphill
    i have been using them on my bikes for about 3 years and have not lost a single bottle
    Thats awesome. very re assuring. What about the small (500ml) bottle limit thing? can i use 700-800ml bottles?
    cheers

The Missing
    May 2007
    Bontragers always rock I have an older carbon version been using for three+ years and have never had a bottle come loose even the slightest bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thats awesome. just thought it would be a good idea to loose some grams in the bottle cage department, my one weighs 41g at the moment, the bontrager ones weighs 16g. And I paid $30.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FierceRider
    Thats awesome. very re assuring. What about the small (500ml) bottle limit thing? can i use 700-800ml bottles?
    cheers
    i use both 500 and 750ml bottles and have had no problems

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by djphill
    i use both 500 and 750ml bottles and have had no problems
    do you find the bottle fit is really tight??

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FierceRider
    do you find the bottle fit is really tight??
    not really tight but not really lose eaither

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm

Yea i just put it on Yesterday, and the bottles i use just average 600ml, i can hardley get it in on the angle, i need to buy smaller ( thinner ) bottles haha.