College
    Jun 2004

Best Value/weight/quality rear hub

I wanted to build a rear wheel with 517 ceramics, but don't know which rear hub to use. Any iinput ?

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    I wanted to build a rear wheel with 517 ceramics, but don't know which rear hub to use. Any iinput ?
    Hope hubs, i've spent a year on them and built tons, they are unbeatable for the price.
    Also check ebay, theres a bunch of white industries hubs going for almost pennies and they are very good hubs.

Trail rider and racer
    Can I be honest? I think the best value hubs (in the long run) are Chris King Hubs. Yes they are costly, but they are literally the only hubset that I know off that all you have to do is set and forget. If you can get over the initial cost they are worth it.

The little weight gain over the likes of American Classic is well worth it since the latters bearings are crap.
    Trev!

College
    Jun 2004
    Im just a kid that can't really get over initial cost. I found some hubs that are cheap
    Tell me if you have heard of any of these ?

http://cambriabike.com/SALE/hubs/index.htm
    -The real design hub on that page, Real Design 8/9sp MTB Rear Hub

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?Affi...=30&SKU=HU6221

http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=HU6221

Can someone give me some input on these hubs ?

Or where else could i turn if i am on a budget, a tiny one

get down!
    american classics are the best hubs for the value

bearings are crap? you had a bad experience with them, don't bash them, tons of people use these with no problems.

am classic is a great company as is chris king, but for the "value" chris kings are just not there, they are the most expensive hubs out there
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am in the middle of the EXACT same exercise.

How do you quantify value?

$/gram
    $/perceived quality

First thing is there are some great values in machine made wheels out there and onebay
    XT/517 and XTR/517s are all over the place. You can detension them and retension/retrue them to make them better and to have that DIY feeling.

But there are better/lighter rear hubs out there than XT and XTR.

Now, I haven't actually ridden it yet, but I've got one in my hands, and have talked to other who have it.

And for the $ the best rear hub in my humble opinion based on $ to gram and $ to quality is the

GT/Hadleyhub (mine weighs 284 others have weighed it down to 273)

I got mine NEW for $19.95 on ebay, and it can be found there regularly for $39.95.
    Ain't no way you can find a King, American Classic, Hugi, White Industries, Nuke proof, etc new for that money. Used you may find a White Industries going in that range, but not the others, unless it is an older AC which had problems.

The machining on it is incredible. The clicks on the pawls are distinct, loud, and crisp. NO comparison to the typical Shimano freebodies. The axle turns smooth, all sealed bearings.

Now before you go reading the reviews on MTBR and saying that the GT is crap. There are a few caveats to the GT/Hadley hub.

1) make sure it is the 3pawl version. the ones on ebay are the 3 pawl. The earlier 4pawl ones had problems.

2) you must take it apart and remove the factory grease between the pawls. This is SOO simple. 2 5mm wrenches and you remove the locknuts (just be careful you don't stick the wrenches in too far otherwise you will be trying to turn the axle and it won't go anywhere.

3) remove the existing factory grease which is TOO thick. It was the wrong grease. It will make the pawls sticky over time and kill the action. Replace with lube (Phils, etc. ) or very light grease like Mprep

4) do this maintenance once /year

Someone mentioned Real Designs. I have a soft spot for Real Designs in my heart. They sponsored my race team years ago. And I LOVE their BBrackets and brake levers. Same Ti BB going for 7 years.

The REAL front hub is a 'real' winner. The rear hub has some serious issues. Unless you are a hardcore tinkerer stay away

Anyway, I may be speaking too soon as I have not actually built it up yet and ridden it. But from what I have held in my hands and seen from others who have maintained theirs properly, it looks like the best value to me.

Also the best prices on x517 rims are at Colorado Cyclist and Universal Cycles at $29.95 for 32 holes.
    Last edited by ashwinearl; 07-23-2004 at 07:18 PM. Reason: more info

College
    Jun 2004
    Hey thanks for the reply. The only thing that i need left is a rear hub that's nice and cheap. The GT/hadley sounds nice but i don't know how available it is. If you see it ebay could you give me a message please.

I ordered some x517 32 hole ceramics for 74 dollars shipped for 2.
    I am also going to get the sun of bubba front

The front wheel i am thinking about lacing with wheelsmith 'AE15' Silver (1.8-2.2x1.2-1.8mm) Butted Aero

the rear i am lacing with a 14 guage and a 'DB14' Silver (2.0-1.7-2.0mm) Double-Butted Spokes from wheel smith

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey thanks for the reply. The only thing that i need left is a rear hub that's nice and cheap. The GT/hadley sounds nice but i don't know how available it is. If you see it ebay could you give me a message please.

I ordered some x517 32 hole ceramics for 74 dollars shipped for 2.
    I am also going to get the sun of bubba front

The front wheel i am thinking about lacing with wheelsmith 'AE15' Silver (1.8-2.2x1.2-1.8mm) Butted Aero

the rear i am lacing with a 14 guage and a 'DB14' Silver (2.0-1.7-2.0mm) Double-Butted Spokes from wheel smith
    This is the ebay seller that usually has the GT/Hadley rearhub He only has front hubs up right now, but email him to see if he asanother rear
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...wpics=1&stab=0

Sounds like the exact same wheelset I'm building

Where did you get the ceramics for $74 shipped?

-Ringle 28h SOB front (119grams) -$19 ebay
    -Gt/Hadley rear (284 grams) -$20 ebay
    -Wheelsmith XL 14 front, radial laced
    -Wheelsmith XL 14 2x non drive side, Wheelsmith DB14 3x drive side

Still deciding about rims.
    -Mavic X517
    -Velocity Synergy
    -DT Xr 4.1

I think I can get around 1540grams for under $150-160 building them myself

good luck

College
    Jun 2004
    wow i can't find prices like that. I will probably end up with 40 dollars for sob and 40 dollars for gt rear. It's going to amount to 190 if i include the skewers i bought.

I got the rims off nashbar, it's the 32 hole one though. I put in a 10% off coupon and i shared shipping with my friends. So that's how much it cost me.

good luck

College
    Jun 2004
    hopefully lacing a 14 gauge on one side and a 14 15 14 gauge on the other won't be hard to true.

College
    Jun 2004

Hey

Hey i just wanted to check up with you and see how you liked your hub. i have my rims and ordered a SOB from odds and endos. I was wondering how you liked your gt rear hub.
    Positiives ? Negatives? I want to hear it all.

mtbr member
    You should try the real rear. I had one for several years with no problems.Also i any tweaking is relatively easy and generally just involves a sheet of 600 sandpaper.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl

Still deciding about rims.
    -Mavic X517
    -Velocity Synergy
    -DT Xr 4.1

I think I can get around 1540grams for under $150-160 building them myself

good luck
    I would jump on the DT rims before the mavics and wouldnt bother with the velocities.
    I've used a few pairs of the dt xr4.1d and they are just about perfect. I just wish they were a little bit wider. They are almost identical to the 517 in most respects except they have a taller profile. They have rolled my big ace around for over a year now without issue.
    Dont use the Wheelsmith XL's for disc apps, I've talked to Wheelsmith about them and they dont recommend them. You could probably use them on the non disc side up front if needed. Should be fine for rim brakes and might be flexy for heavier riders. Post some pics of your build when your done. I love to see fresh built wheels.