Mulleticious

Best lightweight Ti frame for SS?

Would love to get some opinions on what the best lightweight Ti frame is (which I would intend only for SS use) ?

Mulleticious
    ^^^ No takers?

mtbr member
    All of the top brands stock frames will be very close in weight. If you really want Ti. select a builder that you can communicate with and get exactly what you want. Moots, Lynskey, Merlin is back in business, Strong, Black Sheep, Eriksen, Seven, IF, Kish, Everti, Desalvo, Crisp, Firefly, etc, etc all make nice frames.

Mulleticious
    ^^^ not sure about that. In my limited research so far I have the Lynskey Pro29 SL (large) at 3lb 12oz versus a Kona Raijin 19" (i.e. same size) for 4lb 11oz - despite being made by Lyskey. A whole pound in difference is quite a bit (the Raijin is 25% heavier...)

mtbr member
    A pound is a huge difference and 4 pounds is crazy if you want a lightweight frame. I'm too lazy to look them up but one is probably butted and the other is all straight gauge tubing. 4 pounds is what a old steel frame weighs. A four pound frame is heavy.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    A pound is a huge difference and 4 pounds is crazy if you want a lightweight frame. I'm too lazy to look them up but one is probably butted and the other is all straight gauge tubing. 4 pounds is what a old steel frame weighs. A four pound frame is heavy.
    I agree. I'm thinking, what's the point in going Ti if it's gonna be so heavy. I have a SIR9 which is 5lbs and I love it, but my back can't take carbon or Al riding SS rigid. Starting to think I may just stick with the steel and accept the extra lb...

mtbr member
    If it's just your back that's bugging you I'd try a Syntace Hiflex or some other brand of seatpost that is designed to flex. It won't make your bike any lighter but it might solve your back problems.

metrotuned WoS
    BigwheelsRbest: what size is your frame, what is "lightweight" to you and what is your budget?

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    BigwheelsRbest: what size is your frame, what is "lightweight" to you and what is your budget?
    My SIR9 frame is a Large. Equivalent to a 19" size.

To my mind, if I'm going to go Ti, I was hoping for a maximum weight of 3lb 8oz, including the sliders/dropouts/EBB or whatever it is I need to run the frame single speed.

Also a clean look - no gear cable guides. A reasonably short chain stay - (curved seat tube probably a bonus).

A large headtube to take a tapered steerer fork (e.g. the Niner RDO carbon) and the ability to run a 142/12 rear wheel. Not too bothered about price but I don't think I can afford a custom made frame yet :-(

Is that too much to ask?

ups and downs
    If you can find one of the old scandium Air 9 frames, you'd find that it has Ti-like damping and should be lighter than an aluminium Air 9 Niner frame. In my experience, any dedicated Ti or steel hardtail frame owner that I let ride my scandium hardtail came away with their paradigm shifted. Put a carbon seat post on it and you'll have all the comfort you can get out of a hardtail.

Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    I agree. I'm thinking, what's the point in going Ti if it's gonna be so heavy. I have a SIR9 which is 5lbs and I love it, but my back can't take carbon or Al riding SS rigid. Starting to think I may just stick with the steel and accept the extra lb...
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Check Habanero; I think they still manufacture relatively inexpensive custom ti frames. You're only going to find Chinese or Russian frames in the lower price stratosphere (AFAIK). Custom USA - made products are mostly $3000+.

mtbr member
    ^^^ not sure about that. In my limited research so far I have the Lynskey Pro29 SL (large) at 3lb 12oz versus a Kona Raijin 19" (i.e. same size) for 4lb 11oz - despite being made by Lyskey. A whole pound in difference is quite a bit (the Raijin is 25% heavier...)
    Actually there are a bunch of misconceptions about Lynksey built vs. Lynskey brand frames. Yes they do build/have built for many companies but they usually reserve their best/most costly manipulated tubesets for their bikes. The differences about are probably related to the butting/selection of the tubing.
    Last edited by Ramjm_2000; 04-12-2013 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    From my experience, if Lynskey (or anyone else) is manufacturing a product for another company, they make it to that company's specifications. If the Kona frame is heavy, that's the way Kona designed it.

mtbr member
    Only partly concur. Do you think if Kona asked for a double butted Helix twist DT and stays they would do it? Doubtful. They will keep the special/proprietary stuff to differentiate themselves.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for pointing out what is obvious intuitively.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    Only partly concur. Do you think if Kona asked for a double butted Helix twist DT and stays they would do it? Doubtful. They will keep the special/proprietary stuff to differentiate themselves.

mtbr member
    Your very welcome. Perhaps your next reply/comments won't be so vague or overly generalized.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    vassagocycles - OptimusTi

I don't know how much it weighs. If I was in the market I would strongly consider it. Options for 142 rear axle and tapered head tube.

Post #81 is a pretty sweet looking bike.
    2013 Race bikes

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    vassagocycles - OptimusTi

I don't know how much it weighs. If I was in the market I would strongly consider it. Options for 142 rear axle and tapered head tube.

Post #81 is a pretty sweet looking bike.
    2013 Race bikes
    I agree this looks like a decent frame.

Anyone out there know how much it weighs??

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I agree this looks like a decent frame.

Anyone out there know how much it weighs??
    > 16" (Small) 1690 grams (3.7 lbs)
    > 18" (Medium) 1790 grams (3.9 lbs)
    > 20" (Large) 1825 grams (4.0 lbs)

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    > 16" (Small) 1690 grams (3.7 lbs)
    > 18" (Medium) 1790 grams (3.9 lbs)
    > 20" (Large) 1825 grams (4.0 lbs)
    Is that with or without dropouts ?