Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best light weight rotor? Alligator (Wind-Cutter, Starlite, Cirrus) or Ashima

First let me start off by saying that I love my Avid Elixir's but I have been bitten by the weight weenie bug again and it seems that I can save 50g or more by changing out the rotors. So my question is what is the best light weight rotor? Alligator (Wind-Cutter, Starlite, Cirrus) or Ashima or another? Which one has the best performance and doesn't chew up pads. And is not crazy expensive... example: Scrub.

Thanks in advance!

Masher
    Sorry, Scrub is the answer. Start saving.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    With elixirs, they give you enough power to run smaller/less powerful rotors for XC no problem. If you aren't already running 160F and 140R then do that first. You can use Hope floating rotors which are light and easy to get, and the alligator seem better than the cirrus by all accounts. Both of these options will save 15g per rotor approx. For full WW effort dropping about 80g then the scrubs are the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    Sorry, Scrub is the answer. Start saving.
    I guess my question should of been best reasonably priced light weight rotor? lol

I get it scrub makes great light weight rotors, but I don't want to drop $300 on them. $300 can go further towards other lighter bike parts than just rotors. So I guess I am a WW on a budget and hence the question...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    the alligator seem better than the cirrus by all accounts. Both of these options will save 15g per rotor approx.
    The Cirrus rotor is made by alligator... I am just wondering which one has the best performance and is not crazy expensive. And yes I am looking into getting a 140R, I think that I already have an adapter.

Lover, not a fighter...
    Dec 2006

Let me suggest another option

The Formula R1 rotor. You can get the 160mm pictured here for only about $40 from Pricepoint:

Pic was originally posted by Eliflap in the R1 thread.

Live Free or Ride!
    I run Ashima AiRotor's on my Juicy Ultimates. No problems, lightweight, and look the business.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Not sure at all, but is that ashima rotor mounted backward? Every other disc rotor I've seen has the "spokes" curving into the direction of rotation. The spokes on that ashima do have a bit of an s curve on them, so who knows.

BTW I have used a alligator windcutter, and I think it performs better then old stock avid.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i think the formula looks better
    RAH!

mtbr member
    GiantMartin & Flystagg how are the brake pads holding up? Standard wear or increased wear and tear on the pads?

mtbr member
    Anyone have any reviews on the starlite?

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I didn't notice any increased wear, I was using sintered pads though.

LuizSalles
    i bought the cirrus and it´s not so good, i return to the original marta sl rotors....
    LuizSalles
    São Paulo, São Paulo
    Brazil

mtbr member
    thanks Flystagg & LuizSalles that's the review I have been looking for... still curious about the starlite too. Maybe wind-cutters are the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    [FONT=Verdana]Not sure at all, but is that ashima rotor mounted backward? Every other disc rotor I've seen has the "spokes" curving into the direction of rotation. The spokes on that ashima do have a bit of an s curve on them, so who knows.
    I think it is. Supposedly what happened is the logos were printed on the wrong side. I have flipped my Ashima over. Couple of mates have warped their rotors and they had them mounted same as picture above.

For original OP I mostly use Hope floating rotors. If you can get your hands on some (CRC occasionally have stock) get the "lightweight" Hope Mono Mini Pro rotors. They are a bit thinner than Hopes standard floating rotors and hence a bit lighter too. I've run them for almost 4,000 kms on my hardtail and they are still going strong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My Ashimas have been great. No problems whatsoever. My Alligators need frequent 'truing'.
    Ashimas all the way.

bike rider
    I use 6" Windcutters on my XC and 8" on my DH. They perform just like stock rotors.
    I HIGHLY recommend against using 140mm on the rear if you live in mountains. They get really hot on short descents and are useless on long descents.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Re: Scrubs - I have not been able to keep them from howling on long descents, whereas I have no problem with stailess steel rotors. I'm giving up on them, 50 grams is not enough to justify howling brakes. I am going to Windcutters.

Live Free or Ride!
    Padlife has been fine so far, I am still running the pads that I got at the beginning of this season.

As far as the rotor being on backwards I thought the same thing but I just followed the little arrows on the rotor and they have been fine. But I think I might do some more investigation into this.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Live Free or Ride!
    Just to get back to the reverse rotor question, I quickly scrolled thru ppl's bike pic's on this forum and they are all mounted this way, but I have not yet received an answer from ashima.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    We distribute Alligator and Scrub and so far the Wind Cutter is the clear winner in terms of price, weight and braking performance. The Scrubs are light and we had good success with them...but the price is probably way out there for most. The Alligator Starlite are pretty good IMO....slightly lighter than the Wind Cutters and look good. The Alligator Aries (Cirrus) is the lightest from them but the pad contact area is the smaller of all the models.

LuizSalles
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartpr
    We distribute Alligator and Scrub and so far the Wind Cutter is the clear winner in terms of price, weight and braking performance. The Scrubs are light and we had good success with them...but the price is probably way out there for most. The Alligator Starlite are pretty good IMO....slightly lighter than the Wind Cutters and look good. The Alligator Aries (Cirrus) is the lightest from them but the pad contact area is the smaller of all the models.
    Great... and about the pads ? the sintered is the way to go ? something like EBC gold ? do you have another brand sugestion ?
    LuizSalles
    São Paulo, São Paulo
    Brazil

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    We sell a lot of Alligator Semi-Metallic as an affordable replacement with good performance...those that want a premium pad go for the Swiss Stop which we also distribute. Send me an e-mail or PM if you need more info on the pads and prices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radiation vibe
    Anyone have any reviews on the starlite?
    I have 160mm starlites with Elixir R's and they are definitely not as powerful as the stock Avid rotors. Same goes for windcutters too. They are woefully lacking in power for DH or FR. Might be okay for trail or XC but I'm not a fan. The weight savings isn't worth the performance degradation.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
    Same goes for windcutters too. They are woefully lacking in power for DH or FR. The weight savings isn't worth the performance degradation.
    I have to disagree. I use 8" XTs on my DH bike with XT rotors on my practice wheels and Windcutters on my race wheels. I have the stock pads in front and Jagwire sintered pads in the rear. I can't tell any difference in brake power or feel swapping between wheels.

My XC bike uses 6" Windcutters with XTR brakes and stock pads. They have as much power as I'd expect from such a brake, which is plenty when using 2.35" Small Block 8 tires on a 6" travel bike in the Rockies.
    Keep the Country country.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast