Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Best / Light saddle Value

Looking at some upgrades over the offf-season form 2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite

Saddle will probably be my #1 change. Stocker weighs 270gr on my scale

Looking for best weight / $ / comfort combination (I realize saddle comfort is a personal preference).

mtbr member
    Would be tough to beat a carbon saddle from eBay. 110g for $50.

Get to dah choppah
    Selle Italia SLR XP Flow Saddle - Closeout - Bike Saddles / Seats / Seatposts

Not particularly cheap, but a great saddle and a great deal at this price. Perhaps the most commfortable at this weight range IMO.
    Last edited by icsloppl; 12-12-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    Not particularly cheap, but a great saddle and a great deal at this price. Perhaps the most commfortable at this weight range IMO.
    And that would be......?????

My choice, Tune KomVor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Phlem is reffering to his ebay carbon saddle review

Review: eBay Full Carbon Saddle (SD-005)

It looks like a great value - I just would have a hard time feeling confident on it. I realize if you put a "name brand" label on it - I would feel totally different about it. I know a lot of items are made in and then different manufacturers put their "name" on it.

I would really be kickin' my-self if I DNF'd during a race because of it.

110 gr is very tempting vs. my stockers 270 gr. Especially @ $50 vs what I would spend on comparable Selle San Marco Aspide Carbon @ 125gr ...$200
    Last edited by scottz123; 12-10-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    You make a fair point - I can't speak to the long-term durability of that saddle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've come to love the Specialized saddles. If you hit their site, there's a saddle outlet sale going on. Just got a Romin Pro for $135, which came in at 180g on my (cheap) scale and is very comfortable. There were some less expensive options there too that would still save you weight.
    2004 Specialized FSR Pro
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er
    Civilian Luddite 29er SS

I'd rather be riding
    I'm running the older bonty evoke rxl, with ti rails, light enough and comfy. The new version (carbon rails only) is 135g and seemed nice when I checked it out today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    I'm running the older bonty evoke rxl, with ti rails, light enough and comfy. The new version (carbon rails only) is 135g and seemed nice when I checked it out today.
    I will look into Bonty. I get a good deal thru LBS on Bonty. Thks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bought a demo Selle Italia SLR XC Saddle (170g) of ebay for $66. It's like new

mtbr member
    I have a selle italia slr xp and its the most uncomfortable ****ing thing ever. No channel down the middle so I find it cuts off the blood to your legs. I'm trialling a spesh phenom at the mo which is much more comfortable but about 65g heavier. I'm seriously considering either a spesh toupe or selle san marco apside tourer. Both a bit pricey though as untested by my arse!

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    I've been really happy with a Forte Carbon Pro SLX saddle bought used 3 years ago. Weighs 217g and it's quite comfortable despite its very minimal profile. I've worn it out and want another one, but it's no longer available. Performance of course doesn't manufacture their own Forte components, I imagine, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows who the original OEM of this saddle might have been and if it's available under different branding?

I don't intend for this to be a thread hijack - if this saddle is still available under different branding I recommend it to the OP as a great weight/comfort/value option. The original Forte price was fairly low...
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Op

Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    I've been really happy with a Forte Carbon Pro SLX saddle bought used 3 years ago. Weighs 217g and it's quite comfortable despite its very minimal profile. I've worn it out and want another one, but it's no longer available. Performance of course doesn't manufacture their own Forte components, I imagine, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows who the original OEM of this saddle might have been and if it's available under different branding?

I don't intend for this to be a thread hijack - if this saddle is still available under different branding I recommend it to the OP as a great weight/comfort/value option. The original Forte price was fairly low...

I bought a demo Selle Italia SLR XC Saddle (170g) of ebay for $66. It's like new

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    I have a selle italia slr xp and its the most uncomfortable ****ing thing ever. No channel down the middle so I find it cuts off the blood to your legs. I'm trialling a spesh phenom at the mo which is much more comfortable but about 65g heavier. I'm seriously considering either a spesh toupe or selle san marco apside tourer. Both a bit pricey though as untested by my arse!
    Goes to prove that saddles are an individual thing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Goes to prove that saddles are an individual thing...
    Indeed they are. We need some sort of saddle sharing/loan scheme to try before you buy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    Indeed they are. We need some sort of saddle sharing/loan scheme to try before you buy!
    Looks like that is what the one I bought off ebay was - a "test saddle" (see emblem on seat) No, I do not know if "emblem" is permanent or not. It could be though - I thought it was a sticker.

Selle Italia SLR XC Saddle | eBay

From what I have been reading about Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flows, they do take some 'breaking in', and comfort also depends on quality of padding in bike shorts.

mtbr member
    Picked up a TIOGA Spyder TwinTail Saddle on Ebay for $45!
    Size: 285mm x 135mm
    Weight: 142g
    Rail: Hollow Composite Alloy

Not sure how well it will hold up but wanted something lighter as I will be adding an adj seatpost which will add weight. Good reviews on this newer version and its supposed to have good flexibility...I know it does look like a cheese grader for your ass, but should be fine with padded shorts.
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Tioga spyder (142g), or WTB shadow v PSL(180g)
    Both going for ~$50 on Ebay.

but I still prefer my Selle SL, and the price on the SLR closeout is tempting

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Picked up a TIOGA Spyder TwinTail Saddle on Ebay for $45!
    Size: 285mm x 135mm
    Weight: 142g
    Rail: Hollow Composite Alloy

Not sure how well it will hold up but wanted something lighter as I will be adding an adj seatpost which will add weight. Good reviews on this newer version and its supposed to have good flexibility...I know it does look like a cheese grader for your ass, but should be fine with padded shorts.
    It's a cheese grater - no matter how nice your chamois is. I'd say it is much better for road riding and at durations not too long. Even on a full suspension, the Spyder is not a pleasure to sit on. When there are excellent WTB Saddles available such as the Silverado with carbon rails (170g), with Ti rails (200g) or the Devo SLT at 215g or the Rocket V SLT at 215g - all of which you can sit on for hours at a time with no wincing in pain - why save a mere 28 - 73g to ride a cheese grater?

Their D Spyder model is the only one recommended for off road use and it is short, uncomfy and well....if you don't sit very much on your rides it's not too bad.

The new cheese grater...

MInd over matter aside, your "matter" will hurt and not enjoy the ride.

Been there, tried that. Contact points: saddle, grips, pedals. Why suffer on those 3?

BB

mtbr member
    I have this Saddle for sale:

Selle San Marco Racing Team Aspide Xsilite Saddle

Dimensions: 277mm x 131mm
    Rails: Xsilite Rails, Lighter & Stronger than titanium rails. Xsilite is an Alloy with high percentage of Silicon with Titanium & Carbon Particles.
    Actual Weight: 192 gr
    Excellent Condition only on bike for 1 month

$50.00
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best / Light saddle Value-san-marco1.jpg  

Best / Light saddle Value-san-marco3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post

The new forte seats are from a company called velo..but not sure if they wer using the same company for your particular model. I actually just grabbed a newer model on sale called the Pro SL...supposedly has titanium alloy rails. Claimed weight on package was 225g but my actual weight was 212g...not bad for 40 bucks. Looks nice and very comfortable. Only have a few rides on it, and happy so far. I definitely would like to try one of these sub 180 gram saddles. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable with those eBay carbon ones...but heck, I'd give it the old college try...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Has anyone tried the San Marco SKN? They look really attractive.

Low Rep Count
    I picked up a used SLR XP off the bay for $45. I then stripped the leather off it and cut the rails off. I then took my 2.5 yr old Ebay special (Merek) full carbon saddle and cut the rails out of it. Lastly, I bonded them to the SLR with some JB Weld.

SLR XP stock weight was about 184g.
    Stripped of leather/padding = 148g
    New rails installed = 113g!

Now, I would have been happy with the 148g on my mtb and just kept the Vanox rails on it. But since this was going on my road bike, the carbon rail swap was a must (as well as an oportunity to give myself a learning experience of tuning and using epoxy). I have no plans on riding this saddle on my mtb at this point as I honestly don't trust the epoxy on the rails and on the trail is the last place I want to snap my saddle!

I had no problems with my old SLR carbonio saddle or any of the full carbon saddles I have ridden on my mtb however. But those all had rails installed at the factory and I definitely trust their abilities more than my own for something like this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I love my Spyder Twin Tail. I can ride on that thing longer than any other saddle I've tried, with or without a chaomis. I often do 1-1.5 hours on the bike at a local park doing hill reps just wearing athletic shorts. Works fine for my rear.

Bro Mountainbiker
    eBay a used SLR.
    They are heavier than the claimed 130g or whatever, but they are pretty light for the money.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast