Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best / Light saddle Value

11K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  TechniKal 
#1 ·
Looking at some upgrades over the offf-season form 2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite

Saddle will probably be my #1 change. Stocker weighs 270gr on my scale

Looking for best weight / $ / comfort combination (I realize saddle comfort is a personal preference).

#39 ·
Tioga twin tails are not a bad ride and they're lite. I put them on my kids mtbs. I wouldn't trust them for all mountain but xc is no prob. It doesn't chew your shorts up like you think.

I ride Selle Teknologika SLR (130g) on my all mountain and fat bike. SLR Flow (100) on my xc racer. I love this saddles weight, look and feel. It's the only one that doesn't hurt on my bony butt and I'm glad I found it. Pretty penny.... butt... worth it

#42 ·
You could get a Tundra 2 take off on eBay for $50, The Pro's Closet has them all the time. Just make sure to double check the model number, since many are OEM saddles that don't match the weight spec of the aftermarket versions. The base model is 10 grams heavier than that SLR XP posted above (190 grams), but actually comfortable. I use mine for rides between 20-35 miles over technical terrain. I prefer a flat saddle with a smooth material and no holes or stitching. Fizik's flexible shell design works wonders for me. I would stay far away from road type saddles that have those two little bulges that stick out on the back (like the SLR XP and the carbon saddles). If you're riding technical terrain with your ass behind the saddle and hit an unexpected bump, those pointy ends will give you quite the surprise to your gut and/or nads, stick with flat backed saddles for mtb. You also want a broad nose for when you're climbing really steep trails, and you need all your weight forward.

#48 ·
Yeah - I'm not sure if the focus on 'Road' is due to durability issues, or because of the include bar tape in the pack. FWIW I use bar tape for my grips on my mtb, but the stuff included is not great quality.

I've only gotten a couple of rides on the saddle so far, but it seems fine. Speaking to saddle comfort is problematic as everyone is different, but it is fine for me. The cover is a bit 'grabby' on shorts - hopefully that's something that diminishes after it's got some wear on it.

I think I'll pick up a couple of more. The price + weight is too hard to pass up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.