mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Best handling lightweight tires??

I'm new to the board and I was hoping you guys could help...

I was thinking of putting on some lightweight tires (maybe just in the front) with lightweight tubes. I have crossmax sl's which are tubeless, but I wouldn't mind saving a little extra weight.

I'm currently using the Red Pheonix UST tires, which seem to work well...just thought if I could save a little weight and gain in performance I would.

One thing I've noticed is that all the reviews I've been reading about these lightweight tires is that they don't work all that well (i.e. tractions problems, pinch flats, etc)

Are there any superlight yet good performance tires??

What is a high performance lightweight front/rear tire combonation???

Thanks for you guys' help...Colin

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Kenda Blue Groove Lite Vs. Karma

here's a thread that may help!

Blue Groove Lites vs. Karma DTC

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    most of my lightweight tire experience is maxxis tires. my favourite are the 450g 1.9 larsen tt's. especially on dry stuff, they stick soo well. just a bit sketchy in slick mud. they have surprisingly tough sidewalls, and i havent flatted with them all season.
    they didnt get great reviews (larsen tt review) but i think thats partly from people not knowing how to ride a lighter tire. i prerode the most technical bc cup course while it was wet on my 330g flyweights as fast as anyone i saw

just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    I have been using Maxxis Minotaur 380s 1.9s for about 100 miles so far. I ride in mostly dry and sandy conditions. I have had no problems so far (no pinch flats or problems with sidewalls and the tread is holding up fine. I had Specialized Roll-X pros before. Those tended to washout on hardpack-with-sand corners. I really bought the Maxxis' because of their light weight (380 grams per tire) and I got a set on eBay for $30.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by full_xtr_racer
    most of my lightweight tire experience is maxxis tires. my favourite are the 450g 1.9 larsen tt's. especially on dry stuff, they stick soo well. just a bit sketchy in slick mud. they have surprisingly tough sidewalls, and i havent flatted with them all season.
    they didnt get great reviews (larsen tt review) but i think thats partly from people not knowing how to ride a lighter tire. i prerode the most technical bc cup course while it was wet on my 330g flyweights as fast as anyone i saw

just my 2 cents
    I'm a big fan of the Larsen TTs 2.0s for a light tire for hardpack as well. It is amazing how you can tell the difference climbing when you go from a "normal" tire and tubes to the lightweight stuff. If the trail is going to be overly sandy and loose I usually opt for something else as the Larsens get a little to squirrelly for my skills under those conditions.

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    I'm a big fan of the Larsen TTs 2.0s for a light tire for hardpack as well. It is amazing how you can tell the difference climbing when you go from a "normal" tire and tubes to the lightweight stuff. If the trail is going to be overly sandy and loose I usually opt for something else as the Larsens get a little to squirrelly for my skills under those conditions.
    ya they do get squirrely on loose stuff, but if you learn to ride with it, its not that bad. i find that riding high side works pretty well on semi high speed, loose corners. you have to trust you bike

mtbr member
    I've been riding a TT in the rear and a Mimo in the front, both eXCeption series tires. I'll second the hardpack traction. Work great, very stable cornering. I shoud also point out, after the ride before my last, I found five cuts in the sidewalls with inner tube bulging out. luckily I made it home, and I put a bunch of duct tape inside the tire and am still riding them. I am though, not a very "clean" rider. I ride in the very rocky high deserts of SoCal, and tires have a hard time holding up. I've had VERY good luck with IRC tires. they take a lot of sidwall strikes with sharp rocks, and each tire wore out before being catastrophically punctured. they are a bit on the heavy side, though, and their cornering knowbs IMO are too tall and unsuported, leading to squirmy cornering on hardpack.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member

Good job!

Colrado riding: I've had fantastic results using Conti Explorer Supersonics both front and rear (2.1s) They just don't last a really long time.
    I recently switched the rear to a Larsen TT Exxception (2.0) I run it in the reverse direction to get some extra climbing traction. This tire is also great.
    I run both at about 35lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

With or without tubes?

Be sure to make that clear when you post comments on tires. I've found that tires behave quite differently depending on whether or not tubes are used. My favorite lighter tire is still the Nokin NBX Lite run tubeless.

Trail rider and racer
    In my opinion 2 good options include:

Hutchinson Python
    Kenda Karma DTC

Both are large volume tyres and don't skimp on rubber. The Kenda comes with its Dual Tread compound so has an added advantage over certain terrain.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Old skool

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    In my opinion 2 good options include:

Hutchinson Python
    Kenda Karma DTC

Both are large volume tyres and don't skimp on rubber. The Kenda comes with its Dual Tread compound so has an added advantage over certain terrain.

Specialized Team Control/Team Master SL (few years back they made them)
    Wore out ridiculously fast and don't roll that well compared to others mentioned here. But you can still find them on ebay and they weigh 430ish g and corner as good as the heavier team control tires, which is to say amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No no nokian

Quote Originally Posted by B R H
    Be sure to make that clear when you post comments on tires. I've found that tires behave quite differently depending on whether or not tubes are used. My favorite lighter tire is still the Nokin NBX Lite run tubeless.
    I'm glad B R H is having luck with his NBX lites, but I definately must weigh in on these tires- they have been horrid. First, there was a huge hassle even getting them to air up with Stans (on UST rims). With the help of tips from this site, I finally got them aired up, but with just 45 lbs of pressure on initial air up, one tire exploded like a gunshot, spraying Stan's latex all over the shop (and clearing out the cutomers) it was loud, and the explosion was enough to damage my rim. The tire was shredded and my ears rang a long time. Funny.

So, I proceed to race with the nbx rear and tried and true Karma on the front, over dry, rocky terrain. Big mistake. The NBX flatted, burped, and handled very pooly, with little traction even at low pressure compared to my standard, the Karmas. It was a horrible tire, despite what I had read on this list.

Still, I gave it another week. After all the hassle ot get them set up, I really wanted it to be a great, or even adequate, tire. It was terrible. I ended up chucking the thing. Good riddance. I spent the rest of the season back racing Karmas front and rear and never had flats or burping problems again.
    '
    Believe the warning from Stan's website: NBX tires are too weak, sidewalls and beads are wimpy wimpy. Besides that, the tread is inadequate, and they just don't perform. This view was recently confirmed in the MBA article that gave the Nevegal tire top marks, wjile the NBX got among the lowest in every area.

My advice for lite tires- echoing the past threads and many others- Karmas are great, handle well in everything but mud, and adapt to Stan's extremely well. Go Kenda. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Nevegal 1.9 lites do in the mud.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    sorry to hear about your troubles with the NBX.

I don't know what to think. They obviously have thin sidewalls but nino says they work perfect

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've worn 2 NBX Lite 2.0 out and they were nice.

I had 1 flat from a cut, but other than that, I wore the tread off with no other issues. They are one of the softest compound tires I've tried, so they do wear quickly. They were very nice in rocky shaly stuff - great traction for a skinny tire and definitely roll easily. I never had any issues with inflation (40 psi max) or burping using Mavic 317s and Eclipse A126 rimstrips. They are too skinny to offer much rim protection when riding big rocks alot.

I've read other complaints about the tires too. Seems like they were from bigger riders. I think there is a fine line with these tires where much more pressure will allow them to cut too easily and much less and they handle poorly. I did have to run higher than normal pressure for a tire this size to keep it from feeling too squishy. I think it was around 37 psi front and 40 psi rear for my 165 lbs. Maybe heavier riders can't reach a happy medium with the pressure? I sure hope the tire hasn't changed because I was planning on getting some more (2.0 and 2.2) for the next race season!

PS. Stan's website also warns about WTB and Continental tires. I've used MANY with no problems at all. The WTB beads fit the tightest of any tires I've tried and the Continental (especially Supersonic versions) are the most loose fitting.

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs - roll super fast and is very predictable. It may not have super high corning grip but the predictability gives me more confidence leaning into a corner. Approx 470g each for the 2.1 and run great with Stans.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I use the kenda kosmik lite . They are very very fast , but you have to take care in corners. I haven't got any flat tire with this tires

mdf
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

nbx

I did 15 races on them last season. They performed flawless in all conditions and are very fast compared to my python airlights. They are nimble and resposive and corner well. They have a soft compound that grips well but wears fast. PSI on these tires are absolutly essential and needs to be dialed in to make them run right. At 155 lbs, I ran this tire w/ fly weight tubes at 40 in the rear and 35 in the front. For races w/ rock I ran 5 psi over previous and never had one flat.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I personally love Hutchinson Python - they seem to work well in all weather conditions (apart for heavy mud maybe), and in most of the are very fast rolling, having good traction at lower speeds.

You can also use regular (Airlight) version with some liquid, to use as tubeless.

It is also fairly resistant to flats.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Here is my 26er short list, all run tubeless:

1) Schwalbe Rocket Ron
    2) Michelin Wild Race'R
    3) Kenda Slant Six
    4) Maxxis Ikon
    5) Panaracer Trail Blaster
    6) Continental Race King
    7) WTB Wolverine XC
    8) Specialized Fast Trak LK
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    kenda tyres

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm happy with the Rocket Rons.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Holy thread resurrection.... 8 years later....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I preffer Nobby Nic's 2.1 , great grip on all surfaces , light , they are 480/460 on my scale , EVO triple compound.

And maybe Speed King 2.1 black chilli , very good tyre but wears extra fast.

Run on Latex tubes.