Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best 29er light weight am tire

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  johnbike81 
#1 ·
My voodoo canzo 29er has gotten a bit heavy. It's right around 32lb and I'm looking to shed some weight without breaking the bank.

I'm currently running kenda nevegal 2.2 tire w tubes. Looking for some advice on a good light trail tire. I would like something in the 2.2-2.3 width range that rolls well.

Thinking I can probably get 1-2lbs off the bike by switching to tubeless and a light tire. Seems like there are a lot of options from searching the threads. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

#2 ·
Take a look at the Special Ed S Works tires. They work great tubeless but have thin side walls. I have had good luck with them only damaging one sidewall on my three bikes over the past three years.

I ride about 50-70 miles a week. Smooth trails and chunk.

#3 ·
Thanks, that looks like a great option, those are almost half the weight of my kenda's.

How does that tire preform in wet muddy conditions? Would it be beneficial to run something like that in the back and something more aggressive up front?

I mostly ride singletrack and live in the northwest. I dont do anything to technical, but lots of ruts and some small drops.

Thanks for your help, appreciate the input.

#5 ·
Thanks, that looks like a great option, those are almost half the weight of my kenda's.

How does that tire preform in wet muddy conditions? Would it be beneficial to run something like that in the back and something more aggressive up front?

I mostly ride singletrack and live in the northwest. I dont do anything to technical, but lots of ruts and some small drops.

Thanks for your help, appreciate the input.

Sorry can't help you much on the wet muddy conditions. It is so freaking dry out here in So Cal.......

#6 ·
My voodoo canzo 29er has gotten a bit heavy. It's right around 32lb and I'm looking to shed some weight without breaking the bank.

I'm currently running kenda nevegal 2.2 tire w tubes. Looking for some advice on a good light trail tire. I would like something in the 2.2-2.3 width range that rolls well.

Thinking I can probably get 1-2lbs off the bike by switching to tubeless and a light tire. Seems like there are a lot of options from searching the threads. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I also have a Voodoo Canzo 29er - it is the 2013 model. It is a great bike and I often tend to ride it despite owning other much more expensive bikes.

Despite not ever owning a Specialized bike, I am a big fan of their tires. The 2Bliss technology seats up well tubeless on most rims and the weight is very good up against other tires when comparing apples-for-apples tread and size-wise.

I do find that the S-Works versions can be fragile as a rear tire in rocky terrain however, so tend to only use these as front tires, electing the Control casing for rear duties.

I am currently running the previous version 2.2 S-Works Purgatory on the front and 2.0 Captain Control on the rear and find they are a very good compromise for most conditions. I run them tubeless, 28-30 psi rear and around 25 psi front. I am very happy with this setup.

The newer 2.3 Purgatory does not have as large a casing but still seems to get good reviews and rolls well.

You can go to the newer Ground Control in lieu of Captain on the rear and possibly also front depending on how burly the terrain is. Again these get good reviews and I have used the 2.1 on the rear of a 26er and it works well. Weight is also very good. They come in both 2.1 and 2.3 sizes, but again the 2.3 is on the smaller volume end for its nominal size. I think you will find that Purgatory, Ground Control or Captain will roll far better than your current Nevegals and save a lot of weight.

For more burly applications the Specialized Butcher is worth a look. I have just fitted on of these to one of my 26ers and it seems to do a good job but probably won't give you the weight savings you are looking for.

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'm planning on swapping out the Kenda Tires in the next 1-2 months. I'm gonna give the specialized ones a shot. I'll let you know how they are in comparison. Based on your input and a lot of other reviews it seems like they should be a lot more lively than the ones I'm using now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.