Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

BB 30 on standard size BB

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  TigWorld 
#1 ·
Hello, I want to run a Lightweight 2x9 or 10 crankset on my Giant XTC composite. which has standard English threaded BB. Most of the really lightweight MTB cranksets seem to be based on a 30mm spindle diameter. Is it possible to run a 30mm spindle crankset in a standard size threaded BB shell? I tend to think that this will not be possible, but perhaps someone knows some method or piece of equipment that will allow this to work.

Thank you very much.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Nozes. Rotor BSA30 BB setup would allow me to run the Specialized S Works Carbon Mountain Crank arms:

Specialized Bicycle Components

I am curious only because the Rotor website states:

*COMPATIBILITY: The BSA 30 BB is only compatible with Rotor 3D+ crank sets, Sram S900/S975 and FSA BBright/BB386 cranks.
Will NOT work with Specialized FACT cranks, Sram Red, Force, Rival, or Apex, or most FSA cranks. Please ask if you are unsure of your crank set's compatibility

It looks like it should provide a simple solution, but I guess you just have to know in all cases now. I perhaps should phone Rotor.

#6 ·
The S-Works cranks will work if they are the newer version & you have a 68mm BB. These won't work with 73mm BB. The new versions have an axle length of 90.7mm ( mine are 2011 ) older ones have a shorter axle. Remove all the spacers between the cups & the frame, no other spacers between the cups & cranks other than the wave washer on the non drive side.
For the lightest cups, THM is it @ 72 grams.

#10 ·
The new batch of 2012 s-works cranks (back in stock on the Speci US website) are the same spindle length as the ones XC71 mentions. They work well on a 68mm BSA BB (in my case on an Anthem X). I used an E*thirteen XC bottom bracket with no spacers except the s-works wave washer and two thin nylon washers on either side of the wave washer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.