Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SUBLIM8er

Barend Shootout Volume 1

I like a good barend. For me one of the simple pleasures in life is grabbing hold of a good barend on a climb. Yup, I like them and they can be found on all my bikes. So, with this as backdrop I decided to share my impressions of my recent purchases and not-so-recent purchases. I've been using the Smica/PostModernes for years now and love them. They are light and CHEAP. They do the job very well IMO. But, I saw the Soul Kozaks recently and got curious. Then I wondered about the Extralites for my Waltworks rework and ordered those up for comparison. Anyway, I have not been on the new barends yet but will be posting my on the bike impressions later. The Soul Kozaks will make their debut this Sat. in the first race of the season for me. My first impression of the Souls is that they are superior. They are larger in diameter and a bit longer. I like the Soul Kozak evil clown as well- always been a fan of a good evil clown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barend Shootout Volume 1-p1000835.jpgweb.jpg  

Barend Shootout Volume 1-p1000834.jpgweb.jpg  

Barend Shootout Volume 1-p1000830.jpgweb.jpg  

Barend Shootout Volume 1-p1000836.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Axis II; 05-21-2010 at 06:20 AM.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    I'm on the lookout for for some barends. Thanks for starting this thread!

mtbr member
    I've used Barends since '95, help give additional places for my hands/resting places. I sure like them, some don't. I really like Cannondale "Paquito" barends veru comfy. Got a pair of Easton EC 90's recently, getting used to them but they are comfy, I like the ridges for the fingers. It's an individual thing I guess.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

SUBLIM8er
    The first ride on the Soul-Kozak's was also a race. I really liked them. They feel good in your hand- they are much bigger then the Smicas I'm used to, but not too big. The double pinch bolt clamp seems to have considerable clamping force. I was not at all concerned about these things shifting after I clamped 'em down and I'm glad I had barend plugs in my bars because I could see these ends crushing the bars with tight force if I was not careful. Here I am in the Smicas in the biggest climb we have in the series around here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barend Shootout Volume 1-afton-2009.jpgwebonly.jpg  

Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    I like the broad clamp on the Extralights. Didn't know about them before. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Those Soul's are quite bigger and longer then the Extralites, with only 6 grams extra weight...
    Nice !
    I don't need sex, life f*cks me everyday.....

SUBLIM8er
    Update on the Souls: the endcap on the right side fell out and dropped to the floor yesterday when I was moving my bike. This really annoys me for such an expensive boutique component that I have only used once so far. I can easily see losing an endcap on the souls as they are not secured very well at all. Otherwise, they performed very well the first time out.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    Update on the Souls: the endcap on the right side fell out and dropped to the floor yesterday when I was moving my bike. This really annoys me for such an expensive boutique component that I have only used once so far. I can easily see losing an endcap on the souls as they are not secured very well at all. Otherwise, they performed very well the first time out.
    silicone the cap on if you find it. a dab probably doesn't even weigh a gram. i didn't know that barends could be that light. what's up with those wooden ones?

mtbr member
    After you tack in the endcap, flip the bar end over so the "bottom faces up", and poink it with a center-punch on the end near the cap to further secure it. Nobody, including you, will see the dimple down there.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead
    silicone the cap on if you find it. a dab probably doesn't even weigh a gram. i didn't know that barends could be that light. what's up with those wooden ones?
    The Woody is awesome! It's on my "to do" list before I die. I haven't decided on the type of wood yet. Stay tuned. Here's the info. on the Woody:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=30
    William S. Burroughs

No longer 26
    The first ride on the Soul-Kozak's was also a race. I really liked them. They feel good in your hand- they are much bigger then the Smicas I'm used to, but not too big. The double pinch bolt clamp seems to have considerable clamping force. I was not at all concerned about these things shifting after I clamped 'em down and I'm glad I had barend plugs in my bars because I could see these ends crushing the bars with tight force if I was not careful. Here I am in the Smicas in the biggest climb we have in the series around here.

Off topic.... is that the Exo-Nerve helmet? How do you like it?
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Off topic.... is that the Exo-Nerve helmet? How do you like it?
    I love this helmet. I have no idea what it is. I took a chance and bought it from performance or nashbar about 3 years ago for cheap on clearance. I think it was like 70 bucks. I'll definitely purchase another LG helmet. My favorite helmet ever (a KED) was destroyed in a crash where I did a pile-driver on my head off a tall feature and fractured T3 and T4 vertebrae. Not a good day on the bike, but I was on my fixie so I can forgive myself, but I digress.

PS, I just looked it up. It's the OZ-ZY road helmet. On sale at Nashbar now for $69 plus an additional 15% off for Memorial Day sale.
    Last edited by Axis II; 05-28-2010 at 06:19 AM.
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    Update on the ExtraLite CyberEnds: They rock. They fit my hands better then the Souls, I think. The Souls are great, but I think better if you have basketball player hands. I really appreciated the tapered end cap on the ELs. It just works with the way your hands lay on the ends on the barends. The only issue In have with the ELs is the fixing bolt. It's too tall and digs into your fingers as you grasp the damn things. I replaced them with Al pan head bolts for a weight savings over the stock Ti and they feel great
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Now the Soul Kozak's sell for 37,5€

Trying... to... resist...

the train keeps rollin
    Axass, how are you living with them thumby shifters, seems a lil sketchy for real time shifting?
    beaver hunt

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Axass, how are you living with them thumby shifters, seems a lil sketchy for real time shifting?
    SnowBlower,

I didn't know what to expect when I set these up, but I've been using them for years now and I'll never go back. The shifts are faster going to a harder gear as all that's required is moving your knuckle inboard to shift. Shifting up while on the bar requires bringing the thumb up and pushing forward- no big deal and it's fast. The real deal closer for me with the Thumbies is the weight AND the ability to easily shift up to an easier gear while climbing hard on the barends. All you do is stick your thumb out while on the barend and push forward to get the easier gear you want. No other shift system offers this option to shift on the fly on the barends. Shifting with other systems while climbing on the ends requires you to move your whole hand from the ends to the bar, shift and then go back to the bar. This throws your whole balance and rhythm off while on tough and technical climbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Axis II; 06-05-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    @ Batas : Where did you find them ?
    I don't need sex, life f*cks me everyday.....

mtbr member
    Peace Coffee!! I'm from Minnesota too. I ride for Wannabee Racing. See you at Afton.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB-fanatic
    Peace Coffee!! I'm from Minnesota too. I ride for Wannabee Racing. See you at Afton.
    Small world. I did a lap with Eric last weekend at Afton preriding the course. I have my mud tires on. It's going to be greasy
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone use those Singletrack Solution ends?
    They are uber cheap compared to those, but a little different for positioning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here I am in the Smicas in the biggest climb we have in the series around here.
    How did you fare in the women's class that day?

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate
    How did you fare in the women's class that day?
    Yes, I am a woman. Good one Oopps, I forgot.....do not feed the troll.
    William S. Burroughs

looking for easton attack
    Feb 2009
    ever thought of these?;
    http://www.sl-b.com/images/big/hk_be_new1.jpg
    team bulls won the tour transalp with them a few weeks ago!

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by heinerk.
    ever thought of these?;
    http://www.sl-b.com/images/big/hk_be_new1.jpg
    team bulls won the tour transalp with them a few weeks ago!
    Those look great. A lot like the Smicas but in CF and with nice rounded edges. Do we have a weight on them? My guess is that the EL Cyberends are still lighter. I've been on the Cyberends all season and no issues at all.
    William S. Burroughs

looking for easton attack
    Feb 2009
    on the sl-b homepage they´re listet with 34-35g!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast