MOO
    mtbr member

Bar Ends and Carbon Bars

Hi to all
    So what is the story about bar ends on carbon bars. Easton says to use only bar ends that have a 90 degree clamp. I use Ritchey WCS bar ends that have a angled clamp. I understand that angled clamps clamps can cause rotational strain on carbon bars and eventually destroy them. Is this true of all companies and is there a way around it?

Can someone please clear this up for me.
    Thanks!!
    Moo

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MOO
    Hi to all
    So what is the story about bar ends on carbon bars. Easton says to use only bar ends that have a 90 degree clamp. I use Ritchey WCS bar ends that have a angled clamp. I understand that angled clamps clamps can cause rotational strain on carbon bars and eventually destroy them. Is this true of all companies and is there a way around it?

Can someone please clear this up for me.
    Thanks!!
    Moo
    I have been using a carbon Profile flat bar for 6 years now. It has reinforcement at the ends and has never failed me. I think older carbon bars that didn't have reinforcement in the begining gave carbon a bad name because there were a lot of reports that the ends crush easy.

Any modern bar shouldn't have an issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    as above, first ensure the carbon bars are designed for bar-ends.

basically, you need a bar-end that does not pinch the carbon when the clamp is tightened. i personally don't think it's a really big deal, although the Titec bar-ends i have are fine.

i also use some fine grade (eg: 100~400) sand paper to lightly roughen the clear-coat of the bar where the bar-ends will go, and also roughen inside the clamp. this won't affect the structural integrity of the carbon bar, but will greatly increase the 'grip' of the bar-end, preventing rotation. this means you don't need to tighten it nearly as much, so you avoid cracking the bar.

- Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -

- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -

Members who have read this thread: 0