Thread: Bar Ends?

cannondale rider

Bar Ends?

i just got weyless carbon bar, do i need carbon, special bar ends. who makes a good light pair?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    recommend: Singletrack solutions ST-Lites, or other similar ones, I think cane creek makes some nice ones. The important thing is that the clamp doesnt crush the bar.

They're approved (recommended by easton) to not crush carbon bars, only 63 grams and I think its a great handposition being able to grab the end of the bar, you get good contol.

Plus at $12 the price is right.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/110...s-Bar-Ends.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Don't some carbon bars have reinforcement at the ends for bar ends?

I have tried the singletracks mentioned and I found them to be great for another place to position my hands, but they are plastic and will break. One of mine busted in a crash recently, but I like them enough that I purchased another set. So you might consider ordering 2 sets?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    well for 12 bucks breaking one doesnt seem to be a huge deal, but mine seem pretty solid

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    well for 12 bucks breaking one doesnt seem to be a huge deal, but mine seem pretty solid
    Exactly! For 12 bucks I had no hard feelings about purchasing another set and even the broken one can still be used, but it just can't be tightened down completely.

cheers

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004

If you want the same idea that won't break in a crash...

Serfas makes something very similar to the ST solutions/Cane Creek things with their
    http://www.serfas.com/grips_plus/DDBE-AL.html

The clamp is nice and rounded and does not compress at an angle and dig into the bar. But it is an aluminum clamp and could possible destroy the end of your bar if you wipe hard enough. I don't really see that happening though as the bar end doesn't stick out very far or offer enough leverage to really break a bar.

They also make a pure plastic one that is 30 grams less and will break in a crash to save your bar. Speedgoat has a picture of the plastic for both the Double Density and the Stab AL, but the AL looks like the serfas site. REI sells these as well for about the same price.

"Why I oughta..."
    It looks like the single track bar ends mount via an internal insert, is this correct? I am looking for bar ends again without having to increase my overall bar width and without moving my controls (brakes, shifters) inwards. I miss bar ends!