taste death, live life.

Azonic Propulsion FS lightweight build

25.1 lbs in its current state is not too bad.

Your constructive questions, comments, problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Nice bike!
    How does she ride?

taste death, live life.
    Thanks for the props.

I have had the bike for 2 seasons. I bought the frame off Ebay and scavenged parts from my old my GT Zaskar. Initially, I had V-brakes and a SID on the bike, but did not like the combo. Last year, I purchased the Manitou Minute 2 and a set of Avid Juicys. I did not like the Avids, so I went with the Martas after talking to Jimi at Magura. The Minute 2 is an excellent fork. I live in New England and the wet conditions did a number the sealed bearings. All of them were replaced recently. The rear end bobs a little during hard efforts on flat terrain, but that could be controlled with SPV shock. The frame is very stiff and handles well. I have never seen another Propulsion (which I like).

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by super_stein
    25.1 lbs in its current state is not too bad.

Your constructive questions, comments, problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Matt
    nice build. i just bought my propulsion off ebay too. small size, 16.5". built it up and amazingly it's ~25 too, even with crappy Deore hubs. i'll try posting pics later.

did that rear shock come with the frame? i'm thinking about swapping my Romic for an RP3...coils are soooo plush, but i just prefer changing air pressure than swapping coils...
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

mtbr member
    how do you like your maguras?

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mpap89
    maguras are without a doubt my favorite xc brake.......new Hope M4s my new favorite trailbike brakes with the Magura Louise a VERY close second. I love everything about both sets of my Maguras. Having said that, the Magura non SLs are the way to go for the XC brakes....I am afraid I was enchanted by the bling of it all.....

taste death, live life.
    Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    nice build. i just bought my propulsion off ebay too. small size, 16.5". built it up and amazingly it's ~25 too, even with crappy Deore hubs. i'll try posting pics later.

did that rear shock come with the frame? i'm thinking about swapping my Romic for an RP3...coils are soooo plush, but i just prefer changing air pressure than swapping coils...
    I bought the frame with the Cane Creek Cloud 9. The smacker who put it on did not supply/purchase the correct spacers for the rockers. A quick call to Cane Creek, problem solved.

taste death, live life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpap89
    I think I was brainwashed by the marketing hype about the Avid Juicy's when they first came out. After one season, several problems later, they got the bump.

I decided to go with the Martas, but which one. I called Magura and discussed the pros and cons of each. The SL just has the carbon fiber lever. I really don't like the idea of carbon on a mtn bike (but hey that is just me). I went with the non-SL and switched every bolt to Ti (lever and rotor bolts). I also like the black color over the silver of the SL.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to test the brakes outside of my living room b/c we still have 18" of snow on the ground in NH.

taste death, live life.
    Here are a few more crappy pics of the brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by super_stein
    I decided to go with the Martas, but which one. I called Magura and discussed the pros and cons of each. The SL just has the carbon fiber lever. I really don't like the idea of carbon on a mtn bike (but hey that is just me). I went with the non-SL and switched every bolt to Ti (lever and rotor bolts). I also like the black color over the silver of the SL.
    According to
    weight weenies the weight of both SL and black Martas is almost the same, so I think that it's really about the looks. I have to say that I also have carbon-phobia but I don't have problem w/ carbon brake levers.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    According to
    weight weenies the weight of both SL and black Martas is almost the same, so I think that it's really about the looks. I have to say that I also have carbon-phobia but I don't have problem w/ carbon brake levers.
    you bet....that was exactly my point. no "good" reason at all to pay the extra for the SLs but again, I got sucked into the bling thing regardless, the Martas are just the perfect XC brake, period.

TM1
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

NOT about weight or components, but ...

Here's a RARE black Azonic Propulsion.