6x7=Dont Panic!

Ax-Lightness Brakes are for sale?

I thought they were still prototypes, but they are for sale. I don't know if this is old news or not so sorry if I am repeating an old post. Its amazing, only 127g a pair. For a mere $736. Why is the rear lighter than the front? How are they different? Here is a link.

banned

only 10g lighter than Zero-Gravity...

don't even think about them.
    at 1/2 of the cost you can get Zero-gravity brakes which are just slightly heavier.
    they weigh 188g incl. pads.i replaced the massive pads with others and now they weigh 177g.
    usually pads weigh around 40g per pair so do the math....that's just 10g more.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Well, I dont ride road so it doesnt matter to me, if I do I just use my mtb. The reason to get those brakes is not only for the weight, but for the bling/zoot/poshness. The reason I posted is because I wanted to know why there is a weight difference between the front and rear brakes. Anyone have an idea?

banned

less leverage on the rear?

just like Campagnolo they might have a less powerful rear caliper with less leverage.

Boj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Well, I dont ride road so it doesnt matter to me, if I do I just use my mtb. The reason to get those brakes is not only for the weight, but for the bling/zoot/poshness. The reason I posted is because I wanted to know why there is a weight difference between the front and rear brakes. Anyone have an idea?
    You can see in the pics that front has that extra brace for the arm where the cable is supported and the arm seems to be a bit longer probably for reasons Nino mentioned.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

mtbr member

about that killer look of these AX brakes...

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    don't even think about them.
    at 1/2 of the cost you can get Zero-gravity brakes which are just slightly heavier.
    they weigh 188g incl. pads.i replaced the massive pads with others and now they weigh 177g.
    usually pads weigh around 40g per pair so do the math....that's just 10g more.
    fair enough nino, but it is a very sweet piece of carbon admit it...
    I might get a set, I have good price and knows Axel a little...
    we'll see. didier

mtbr member

about warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    just like Campagnolo they might have a less powerful rear caliper with less leverage.
    nino,
    do you think that I may expect a life (or a couple of) WARRANTY on these ultra high end brakeset?!!!

banned

sure, i would love to BUT...

even though i would not throw them away if someone gives them to me...my brain is still working and that's one of those items that for me aren't worth so much money.10g aren't worth it.and the Zero_gravities also look killer. i just replaced the pads with some Kool-Stops and brakepower now is really great.

Trail rider and racer
    I heard on road bike review that the zero gravity brakes don't really provide great stopping power??

True?
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I heard on road bike review that the zero gravity brakes don't really provide great stopping power??

True?
    I had both the older Cat brakes and the newer Zero Gravitys. The older Cats are the spongy brakes.

The newer Zero Gravitys have much better stopping power, close to Campys (not as good as DA 7800), using their larger pads, etc. And the brakes arms don't flex as much as the Cats visibly.