Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    viva la v-brakes!

Avid Single Digit Mag: what's the deal?

I'm thinking of buying some Avid SD Mags and adding the hardware from my Avid SD Ti's to get some freaking light brakes. Can anyone tell me more about the mags?

Do they already come with Ti hardware or is all that weight savings due to the Mg construction?

What's the deal with the corrosion? How bad is it and how does one prevent it?

Why did Avid stopped making them?

Would there be any stiffness/braking power issues? I currently have my SD Ti's set up so as to be pretty darn powerful, I'd hate to loose that.

Anything else I should know?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    currently running the Mag brakes and no problems with corrosion. They are lighter and not because of the hardware. Power issues, none that i know of. i swithced from the Ulitmate Black Ops set to the Mag and did not notice. Proper cabling and housing is usually the culprit. Not sure why they quit making them, but there are stories floating around about some manufacturing accident??? i have an extra set if you are interested in the grey and the burnt orange ones. PM me.

SUBLIM8er
    If you want lighter still get a set of the Mrazek Mags. I have the SD Tis and the Mrazeks are just as powerful as those.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    If you want lighter still get a set of the Mrazek Mags. I have the SD Tis and the Mrazeks are just as powerful as those.
    And 4 times more expensive.
    "Do not touch the trim"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    And 4 times more expensive.
    ...and butt ugly and heavier too and don't forget tire clearance isn't their strong point either.

Avid Mag arms weigh 89g. that's with the steel inserts (17g). if you put the aluminium ones from the Ti version they will be 10g less...that's 79g and a LOT lighter than the Mrazeks.

both are still a long way from the Vuelta Magnesium though
    Last edited by nino; 03-27-2006 at 11:19 AM.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    ...and butt ugly and heavier too and don't forget tire clearance isn't their strong point either.

Avid Mag arms weigh 89g. that's with the steel inserts (17g). if you put the aluminium ones from the Ti version they will be 10g less...that's 79g and a LOT lighter than the Mrazeks.

Nino you must be smokin' crack to think the Mrazek's are uglier then your child labor produced Vueltas or Avids. Also, the weights that you post are really disengenuous: the Avids that you weighed are missing the boss bolts (the Mrazeks you weighed are not-and I'd be willing to bet are the heaviest steel ones you could dig up ) and are missing the cable washer/nut. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Maybe this guy doesn't wan't to have to mess with tuning his Avids just to get to the weight of the Mrazeks "out of the box." And maybe he want's something that is quality built and not stamp pressed by the thousands by seven year olds in Tiawan or wherever you source your poopy brakes. Why do you subject us to your shameless self-promotion on this forum day-in and day-out? Wait, I can answer this question: Nino wants to get paid. You should really be required to qualify whatever suggestions you give at the outset by coming clean and saying "I SELL THIS PRODUCT THAT I RECOMMEND." I say poop on Nino and his self-serving recommendations.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er

That's right: Nino to the rescue with recommendations for products that he sells. Just what we all have come to expect. Wouldn't be the same without ya, Nino. Anyway, you must be smokin' crack to think that those child labor produced Vueltas and Avids are better looking then the Mrazeks. The Mrazeks just exude quality. I find the Mrazeks are really easy to adjust and actually STAY adjusted unlike the Avids. BTW, your weight comparisons are really disengenuous: No boss bolts or cable clamp nut/washer for the Avids as opposed to the Mrazeks you weighed. How's abouts giving us a break with the shameless self promotion for awhile?
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    Doh! Sorry for the double dose of Nino flaming. The server was busy and I didn't think my original flame went through. Flaming Nino is hard work.
    William S. Burroughs

freak of nature
    I heard the Vueltas are not available anymore.

So he doesn't sell them anymore.

Anyway, what am I doing ? He'll defend himself if he thinks it's worth it.
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by jean-seb

If the Vueltas are not made anymore and are not being sold by Nino then why the phock is he still posting those ugly pictures and obstensibly offering them as an alternative to the Avid Mags? I'll tell you why: 'cause he's smokin' crack is why. Now shut your hole.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

You're right, the Vuelta's aren't available anymore... At least not under the Vuelta name. They are rebadged under the Miranda name in which Nino does sell... So, Vuelta=Miranda=Nino still selling.

Although it's only an opinion but, I must agree with Axis ll that the Mrazeks look very nice. The adjustability on these are quite easy and although the clearance is a bit of an issue I did remedy this by simply adding spacers on the brake pad side.

Oh, and by the way Nino, I believe the pic you posted of the Mrazeks are the aluminum version and not the mag version.
    Last edited by jakeplazma; 03-27-2006 at 02:34 PM.

I <3 29ers
    Fishman - just for a quick comparison, I have a pair of Ti's and a pair (well, a set really) of their lower-line SD20's. When it comes to braking they both feel exactly the same. Hopefully you can make them as light as you're hoping because they sure won't stop any different.

Technically, the Vuelta's aren't available anymore. They are now manufactured/sold with the Miranda name. This is what Nino sells. Why does he still call them Vuelta's? Perhaps familiarity. That's just speculation on my part, he can verify or correct.

Maybe this guy doesn't wan't to have to mess with tuning his Avids just to get to the weight of the Mrazeks "out of the box."
    Maybe you need to re-read the OP's entire thought here - he does want to tune them. Read the first sentence he wrote in his opening post. Also, what's wrong with recommending something you sell when you believe in it/use it yourself? I can see it from the standpoint that the OP didn't ask for other recommendations, but I don't see you ripping a piece out of ..... yourself for doing that.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Maromero
    Axis, did you get to weigh your Mag Mrazek's?
    The picture of Nino's Mrazek's looks very similar to your brakes, I'm supposed to receive mine tomorrow, I'll weigh them right away.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Fishman - just for a quick comparison, I have a pair of Ti's and a pair (well, a set really) of their lower-line SD20's. When it comes to braking they both feel exactly the same. Hopefully you can make them as light as you're hoping because they sure won't stop any different.

Technically, the Vuelta's aren't available anymore. They are now manufactured/sold with the Miranda name. This is what Nino sells. Why does he still call them Vuelta's? Perhaps familiarity. That's just speculation on my part, he can verify or correct.

Maybe you need to re-read the OP's entire thought here - he does want to tune them. Read the first sentence he wrote in his opening post. Also, what's wrong with recommending something you sell when you believe in it/use it yourself? I can see it from the standpoint that the OP didn't ask for other recommendations, but I don't see you ripping a piece out of ..... yourself for doing that.
    Maybe you need to kiss my %ss! What's wrong isn't in the doing, it's in how you do it. What Nino does is push his crap as the absolute "BEST" option and disparages others for offering other alternatives that challenge his bottom line, consistently. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with vendors showcasing their stuff here. DirtBoy does this and he is tastefull about it. He's also a nice guy and doesn't advocate for his stuff like it's the greatest option available. I'm not ripping on myself because I'm not trying to GET PAID like Nino is you phock! Don't you get it? Wake up! And, BTW a case in point is Nino's misleading comparison of the Al Mrazek to the Mag Veulta and Avid. The bottom line is that Nino is threatened by the Mrazeks 'cause they are a viable alternative to his sweat shop Vueltas. Got anything else?
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje
    Axis, did you get to weigh your Mag Mrazek's?
    The picture of Nino's Mrazek's looks very similar to your brakes, I'm supposed to receive mine tomorrow, I'll weigh them right away.
    I did, but I don't want to post the weight from memory and take the chance of being off. I know it's a lot lighter then what Nino has in his misleading picture of the Al version, though. I do know that my brakes after tuning are 205 grams for the COMPLETE set (F/R) that includes pads and all hardware. But, I have mines tuned with tasty bling. Didn't Fairwheel Bikes get theirs down to like 58 grams?
    William S. Burroughs

Maromero
    I did, but I don't want to post the weight from memory and take the chance of being off. I know it's a lot lighter then what Nino has in his misleading picture of the Al version, though. I do know that my brakes after tuning are 205 grams for the COMPLETE set (F/R) that includes pads and all hardware. But, I have mines tuned with tasty bling. Didn't Fairwheel Bikes get theirs down to like 58 grams?
    What padcarriers and pads did you use? I'm asking this cause I still don't know what I'm going to use. I might go with the limited options I have down here while I get something lighter delivered.
    205 gr would cut 27 gr over my Vuelta's

I can't weld
    I literally just took off my Avid Mags last night in preparation for disc brakes after 10 years of use and abuse. I found them to be easy to adjust, but save yourself the hassle and use the rim wranglers for easy pad replacement.
    After loosening and tightening the anchor bolt probably 30 times since originally installing them, I've noticed that the brake arm can twist slightly under aggressive torque. I've just gotten more careful when tightening.
    I have also not noticed any corrosion on the magnesium arms.
    I've been very happy with the power and modulation of these brakes, especially considering I'm 210# and they're a set it and forget it kind of part, except for the occasional pad or cable replacement. Although I probably should have overhauled the pivots some time in the last several thousand miles, I haven't. They still operate smoothly with scant play.
    I'm rebuilding the Trek 8500 that these originally came off of for my friends to use when they ride with me and these brakes will continue being useful on that frame.

Here's some pics of the brakes with a few grams of dirt and grit on them:

Last edited by Indiefab; 03-27-2006 at 06:41 PM.

banned
    Maybe you need to kiss my %ss! What's wrong isn't in the doing, it's in how you do it. What Nino does is push his crap as the absolute "BEST" option and disparages others for offering other alternatives that challenge his bottom line, consistently. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with vendors showcasing their stuff here. DirtBoy does this and he is tastefull about it. He's also a nice guy and doesn't advocate for his stuff like it's the greatest option available. I'm not ripping on myself because I'm not trying to GET PAID like Nino is you phock! Don't you get it? Wake up! And, BTW a case in point is Nino's misleading comparison of the Al Mrazek to the Mag Veulta and Avid. The bottom line is that Nino is threatened by the Mrazeks 'cause they are a viable alternative to his sweat shop Vueltas. Got anything else?
    sorry to hurt your feelings! i really didn't mean to. i just took the best picture i had from the mrazeks but i sure have another one without any bolts so you can compare.

he asked for an opinion on the Avid Mag and about tuning them. so far i am the only one here to show him any real weights and that is what he is looking for. i didn't promote my Vueltas but i showed they are a lot lighter. that's all. if you don't like it read on. i really don't like the look of the Mrazeks though. i really aprreciate Mrazeks work though. as a piece on it's own they look cool but once installed they are just not nice at all. maybe that's just my taste.

but hey - please do me a favour and take a picture of your arms on a scale! i don't have any pics of the Mrazek Magnesiums so maybe i'm even wrong by saying they are heavier. i think my pictures are from the Al-version but since it's not my own pictures i can't tell for sure. and while you are at it please tell people how to get wheels out if you use tires wider than 1,9"...you have to let the air out to be able to, correct? this is info i got from other Mrazek users. those same guys rave about power and modulation but wheel removal seems to be a pain in the a$$.
    Last edited by nino; 03-27-2006 at 10:40 PM.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    i really don't like the look of the Mrazeks though. i really aprreciate Mrazeks work though. as a piece on it's own they look cool but once installed they are just not nice at all. maybe that's just my taste.
    Ditto this - they are an acquired taste, and i think they look like lego blocks (not really.. but i couldn't think of anything else).

If it is true that you need to deflate a tire that is over 1.9" to remove the wheel, then that is just stupid, who actually uses tires below that size any way?

UK Biker
    Jeez those Mrazek brakes look ugly.

Considering the original question this threads gone way off course.

I had some of the Avid Mag V's (came on my '01 FSR) and they worked fine with no problems. When I moved onto discs I passed them onto Scant and he used them on his Yeti ASR. Don't believe he had any problems with corrosion etc.

Fluff

Illuminati

We the people ...

they're going on the secret project now fluff, fully ti bolted up. did have a real small amount of white, almost powder looking surface, but it easily polished off. They do have a fair amount of play compared to XTR or avid ultimates. but not noticeable when riding.

SUBLIM8er
    sorry to hurt your feelings! i really didn't mean to.
    i just took the best picture i had from the mrazeks but i sure have another one without any bolts so you can compare.
    he asked for an opinion on the Avid Mag and about tuning them. so far i am the only one here to show him any real weights and that is what he is looking for.
    i didn't promote my Vueltas but i showed they are a lot lighter. that's all. if you don't like it read on. i really don't like the look of the Mrazeks though. i really aprreciate Mrazeks work though. as a piece on it's own they look cool but once installed they are just not nice at all. maybe that's just my taste.
    but hey - please do me a favour and take a picture of your arms on a scale!
    i don't have any pics of the Mrazek Magnesiums so maybe i'm even wrong by saying they are heavier. i think my pictures are from the Al-version but since it's not my own pictures i can't tell for sure.
    and while you are at it please tell people how to get wheels out if you use tires wider than 1,9"...you have to let the air out to be able to, correct?
    ]this is info i got from other Mrazek users. those same guys rave about power and modulation but wheel removal seems to be a pain in the a$$.

sorry to hurt your feelings! i really didn't mean to.

Apology registered.

i just took the best picture i had from the mrazeks but i sure have another one without any bolts so you can compare.

Your second pic has obsurdly oversized spring tension stop bolts so you are not quite right about the no bolt part.

he asked for an opinion on the Avid Mag and about tuning them. so far i am the only one here to show him any real weights and that is what he is looking for.

Actually, if you call a comparison of brake weights where two are Mag and one Al and you omit the brake boss bolts and cable clamp nut/bolt on one them and not all then your "real weight" is misleading (and inaccurate.)

i didn't promote my Vueltas but i showed they are a lot lighter. that's all. if you don't like it read on. i really don't like the look of the Mrazeks though. i really aprreciate Mrazeks work though. as a piece on it's own they look cool but once installed they are just not nice at all. maybe that's just my taste.
    but hey - please do me a favour and take a picture of your arms on a scale!

Mine are already mounted and set up but I'll let Doc. post his as he said he would today. If he doesn't I'll tear mine down and post tomorrow.

i don't have any pics of the Mrazek Magnesiums so maybe i'm even wrong by saying they are heavier. i think my pictures are from the Al-version but since it's not my own pictures i can't tell for sure.

Then why are you posting them if you don't even have a clue about what you are posting? I know why: because it makes your crackhead Vueltas look lighter.

and while you are at it please tell people how to get wheels out if you use tires wider than 1,9"...you have to let the air out to be able to, correct?
    ]this is info i got from other Mrazek users. those same guys rave about power and modulation but wheel removal seems to be a pain in the a$$.
    [B[B]NO. THIS IS WRONG. THEY HAVE GREAT CLEARANCE AS YOU CAN SEE ON MY PIC. Don't know where or why this rumor got started and perpetuated by you. Oh snap, I know why: It's because this might help you sell more of your Walmart Vueltas. [/B

In the future Nino, please fight the urge to promote youself as an authority on matters you have little, or misleading, knowledge about even if it means selling fewer of your child labor produced, Walmart on sale 'n, ugly ride 'n Vueltas.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Where can i get Avid Mags?

banned
    [B[B]NO. THIS IS WRONG. THEY HAVE GREAT CLEARANCE AS YOU CAN SEE ON MY PIC. Don't know where or why this rumor got started and perpetuated by you. Oh snap, I know why: It's because this might help you sell more of your Walmart Vueltas. [/B

In the future Nino, please fight the urge to promote youself as an authority on matters you have little, or misleading, knowledge about even if it means selling fewer of your child labor produced, Walmart on sale 'n, ugly ride 'n Vueltas.
    sorry - there is also german weight-weenie boards and there several guys complained about the lack of tire clearance when using regular 2,1" tires. and just by looking at your pic i can tell you would have a hard time riding through a muddy section with just a few mm clearance between tire and arms...

by the way - the Vueltas are made in Europe so no little childrens work.

anyway - enjoy your brakes!

viva la v-brakes!
    Really, I just wanted info on the Avid Mags, not interseted in other brakes since I only have the money to buy used beat up brakes and I have all the Ti hardware for the Avid brakes.

Thanks to those of you who've offered useful info. As for the rest of you, I could care less about your flame war. Axis II you seem particularly bitter. Get a life.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast