mtbr member
    Nov 2004

AVID SD Ultimate Vs. AVID SL v brakes

Im building a new bike at the moment and im not sure wether to go with Avid ultimates or Avid SL brake calipers.
    The SL's are circa. 165g which is 20g lighter per brake over the ultimates. however my real question is -
    Will the ultimates provide more power than the sl's ? or are they both comparable ?
    Price isnt an issue as i can get the ultimates at only slightly more.
    so the only issue is power vs weight !
    Please share your experiences.

No Shades of Gray

Have them both...

...and can't say I have a complaint about either. They use basically the same system so power is really at the rotor and pads. The adjustment knob on the ultimates is easier to handle but that's nothing really. Buy either with no worries. My $.02.

Linerider
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live" -- Mark Twain

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by linerider
    ...and can't say I have a complaint about either. They use basically the same system so power is really at the rotor and pads. The adjustment knob on the ultimates is easier to handle but that's nothing really. Buy either with no worries. My $.02.

Linerider
    I think he's looking for feedback on V's and not Discs. Anyway, The Sls are very good stoppers. They lock up just fine with moderate pressure from one finger. What more do you really need, eh?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Members who have read this thread: 0