Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851

    Avid FR-5 levers: 1 gram lighter than claimed

    155 grams claimed, 154 grams actual. Haven't used them yet but they look good for a low cost pair of levers.

  2. #2
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    155 grams claimed, 154 grams actual. Haven't used them yet but they look good for a low cost pair of levers.
    Wonder what happened to the rest. Avid was supposed to be re-doing their whole lineup of Speed Dial levers in the image of the FR-5. That was over a year ago. Hope the deal with SRAM didn't somehow nix it.

    FR-5 is a good looking, lightweight lever, but I really think I'd miss the Speed Dial adjustment.

  3. #3
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,012
    I could do w/o the speed dial. I never use it. I like to set my brakes up how I like and leave them like that. The speed dial is only extra weight.
    Herro prease

  4. #4
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    I could do w/o the speed dial. I never use it. I like to set my brakes up how I like and leave them like that. The speed dial is only extra weight.
    I set my Speed Dial to my liking and generally leave it alone. The million dollar question is, where is the leverage point set on the FR-5 levers? I can tell you that if they're set "perfectly" for the front, they'll automatically be imperfect for the rear (my F & R Speed Dial adjustments are never the same).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    144

    I'm with you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    I set my Speed Dial to my liking and generally leave it alone. The million dollar question is, where is the leverage point set on the FR-5 levers? I can tell you that if they're set "perfectly" for the front, they'll automatically be imperfect for the rear (my F & R Speed Dial adjustments are never the same).
    Great adjustment capability. I can't imagine them ditching it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    Wonder what happened to the rest. Avid was supposed to be re-doing their whole lineup of Speed Dial levers in the image of the FR-5. That was over a year ago. Hope the deal with SRAM didn't somehow nix it.
    I got Avid brochure from Lago di Garda festival in early May. Whole lineup was redesigned:
    - brake arms have more pronounced i-beam profile
    - brake levers are ambidextrous (sp?), anyway left and right lever similar (wonder why no other company had this design, some $$$ to be saved in manufacturing)
    - indexed Speed dial
    - wider blade
    - new noodle rubber cover, very small
    lever design is abou the same as FR-5 with above additions, "Speed Dial SL" might have different casting in body.

    They didn't have new models on display though...

  7. #7
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    Wonder what happened to the rest. Avid was supposed to be re-doing their whole lineup of Speed Dial levers in the image of the FR-5. That was over a year ago. Hope the deal with SRAM didn't somehow nix it.

    FR-5 is a good looking, lightweight lever, but I really think I'd miss the Speed Dial adjustment.
    I just noticed that they have the new line of levers at Jenson. The SL is a claimed 140 grams <I>with</I> Speed Dial. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub.aspx?i=111

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 06:18 AM
  2. Avid FR levers?
    By SDizzle in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 11:20 AM
  3. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 11:57 AM
  4. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 11:27 AM
  5. new levers for avid mechs?
    By guava in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 12:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •