mtbr member
    Nov 2008

ashima or alligator gold rotor?

https://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=p...&setCurrency=3

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alligator-Titanium-Coating-Disc-Rotor-160mm_W0QQitemZ200293058019QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycl ing_Parts_Accessories?hash=item200293058019&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

hi im trying to decide if i should get the ashima or alligator rotors, i need 160mm and 140mm. The ashima 160 seems to be lighter but the alligator 140 is lighter then the ashima 140. which should i get?

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Alligators have been fine for me thus far in a 160/140 setup with my old Formula's and now will be a 160/160 setup with the Marta SL's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    so if i want to save the most weight, then the ashimas seem a better choice after looking at the light-bikes website, is this correct?

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    i think they are the same. do not get the gold ones, as the coating is not going to help brake performance (it actually hinders it).

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by epicracer5
    so if i want to save the most weight, then the ashimas seem a better choice after looking at the light-bikes website, is this correct?
    Both the Windcutter and the Airotor are made by the same company - Ashima. If you add the weights of the 160 and 140 rotors together - it's pretty much a wash between the two models as you will end up with about the same amount of grams for each pair. Read the reviews and pick one of them. EBC Gold pads are the ticket (or Avid Sintered pads if you have Avid brakes).

Skip the gold colored ones and go for the plain steel. Search for luckynino at eBay to score the 140mm Windcutter (or any size). Price Point carries the 160/180/203 rotors, but not the 140mm.

Pastajet has tested and tried both. Search for his threads.

I haven't tried the Airotors from Ashima, but the Windcutters did great for me all of 2008 on my Avid mechanical brakes.

BB

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i have jucy ultimate brakes now, i have about 100 miles on them, should i change the pads if i get new rotors, if so which pads should i get?

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Change the pads to metallic/sintered pads. It's interesting to hear some have had poor luck with the Ti Ni coated rotors. Mine have worked fine with no lack of power or modulation.

mtbr member
    where can i get the ashima airotors in north america? i don't see any on ebay anymore now that toronto cycles has discontinued carrying them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    order them from https://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=p...&setCurrency=3
    shipping will cost more but they have em

Grams Light Bikes
    The Ashima AiRotors are pretty sweet and quite light. They do need sintered pads. Let me check with my main man at Ashima where to get them, but you can get your LBS to order them from EB Importers, they are the North American distributor.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    The Ashima AiRotors are pretty sweet and quite light. They do need sintered pads. Let me check with my main man at Ashima where to get them, but you can get your LBS to order them from EB Importers, they are the North American distributor.
    It would be nice to hear your thoughts on comparing the three "newer" light options out there: Windcutters, Airotors and Scrubs

I've read all of your reviews and posts to date and realize they are based on the disc brakes you have. I'd be happy to do the same for those three brakes on Avid Mechanical brakes if I could just score some Scrubs and Airotors.

BB

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Has anybody used the ashima airotors with the new xtr race 985 brakes? Would I need to change the pads to semi sintered?

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures View Post
    i think they are the same. do not get the gold ones, as the coating is not going to help brake performance (it actually hinders it).
    How do you figure? The gold is not on the braking surface.

ups and downs
    The Alligator gold rotors do use titanium nitrate on the braking surface

Alligator Rotor 160mm 95g Gold Ti - 16.84 | XC Racer Shop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ashima or alligator gold rotor?-691.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    ...Alligator Rotor 160mm 95g Gold Ti...
    Times have really moved on since the windcutters were WW material. At a weight of 95g I'd give them a miss. That's pretty heavy for a 160mm rotor with so little material on the braking track. If you're going to have 95g rotors you may as well have a big braking surface that doesn't chew pads to bits on a muddy ride:

For an 80g 160mm rotor you've got a few choices - KCNC Razor, Ashima Airotors, Hygia SLPs, Alligator Aries.

My Airotors pulse like mad (particularly on the front). The hygia rotors are much better, but thinner so they don't last as long. Alligator Aries are good too, but pad wear is really high and pads also wear unevenly.

The soon-to-be-released Ashima Ai2 rotors look interesting - esp. the weight of 66g.

The gold coating on any rotor is a gimmick. It lasts all of about a millisecond - which is good because if it did last its only effect would be to reduce your braking power.