Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Anyone using the new egg beater 11's?

I'm looking for actual experience with the new CB Egg Beater pedals. I know they spin better on the new bearing systems, but how is the engagement? I've heard from several early testers that they were "not as solid" or had "more lateral play" when clipped in.

I love my EB pedals for their light weight and ease of engagement and release, but I don't like the "standing on glass" feel you get with even minor cleat or shoe wear. This is amplified by the metal shoe shield CB sells to alleviate premature shoe wear due to the pedal bars.

So before I plunk down a wad of cash on the new version, I want to make sure that at least this sensation isn't any worse than the old ones. If anything, I would like a more solid feel, not less.

Thoughts?
    A hardtail is forever

Supersonic Garfield
    Hi, I have them. One ride so far. Coming off XTR-pedals my initial thoughts are that they have a lot of float/play when clipped in. Not a definitive clip-in/out. I have the plastic plate installed as well (included in the box) to minimize shoewear, but still had to cut a little rubber from the Specialized shoes.

I have ti-springs coming in, will install later today today. Should bring them down in the 150gr range. Very interested in how the feel will be then.

I would assume someone could make stiffer springs as well? I would like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Compared to the previous generation Egg Beaters there is no noticeable difference in feel. The higher rider weight limit and more durable bearings are a welcomed addition but you can't tell the difference while riding. CB claims that the new shim kits (only compatible with the new version) will allow you to reduce the amount of play but they still aren't available yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would like to see the spindle how it handles the bearing, especially Ti one.

mtbr member
    I've got em too. Switched from XTR pedals. I love them, engagement as well as release is a snap compared to the Shimano's, and from the times I've used a buddy's older quad ti version, the 11's seem to be equal in release/engagement. Haven't had to rebuild them yet, but it's supposed to be another big plus to the 11's over the old CB quad ti's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have been using a set since about 1 week after they were released. They feel exactly the same as the 4ti's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've got them ready for a new build, just not got the rest of the bits yet !!!

Supersonic Garfield
    FYI - the ti-springs that are sold on this forum does not fit the new Eggbeater 11's. The new spindle is a little larger, and the springs is a little wider than the old Eggbeaters.

Hack Racer
    Do the old cleats work with the new Eggbeater 11s?

mtbr member
    The cleats are the same.