mtbr member

New question here. Anyone using a Easton ec70 Monkeylite riser?

I'm looking to upgrade my current bars to one of these because of the weight factor.
    I'm looking at the 660mm with1.5"rise version. I weigh around 175lbs and ride aggressive and technical trails in the northeast with small drops and jumps.(no larger than 3').They will be mounted on an Intense 5.5.
    I'm concerned about there durability and strength.
    Am I making a mistake or are they worth the upgrade?

Thanks.

Super Genius gone noMAD

Good job!

I have them on my Scott Genius MC10 for a year now and love it. It weighs 173g.

I never had anykind of worry that it would't hold up even when I took a ride on a local DH course.

So two thumbs up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am 6'2" 190lbs (without gear) and have been running the monkeylites on my Jekyll for a year now. I do mainly crosscountry but twice a year a group of us head to Jim Thorpe in PA for a 18 mile downhill course with some knarly stuff. Hammered the bars into trees a couple times hard enough to send me flying over them and have yet to have any problems.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree
    I'm looking to upgrade my current bars to one of these because of the weight factor.
    I'm looking at the 660mm with1.5"rise version. I weigh around 175lbs and ride aggressive and technical trails in the northeast with small drops and jumps.(no larger than 3').They will be mounted on an Intense 5.5.

Thanks.
    IMO it is a worthy upgrade. I'm 195lbs and have them on my Intense Spider and my Redline Monocog. I've put them through plenty of "stress tests" and have been more than satisfied.

mtbr member
    Me too.. I'm also 6'2" ~195lbs w/o any concerns. Work as advertised. Just make sure you carefully deburr/raduis all the ID of everything you are going to clamp on to them!
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    Me too.. I'm also 6'2" ~195lbs w/o any concerns. Work as advertised. Just make sure you carefully deburr/raduis all the ID of everything you are going to clamp on to them!
    Good Call - I would also take care not to overly crank down your shifters and brakes on the bars. You want them to stay put during normal riding but slip at little during a crash. This will helpt to keep your shifter/brakes from breaking as well as your bars.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Worth the upgrade IMO, especially since many online stores are clearing out the 2004 model.

Some places list the higher rise version as 1.5" others list it as 1.25". I have not determined which is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree

Thanks.

mtbr member
    There website has changed for the new CNT stuff, but I think they offered the old EC70 stuff in a low rise and high rise, so both may be correct.

While on the CNT subject, the new EC90 low rise bar weighs in at 135g (advertised) @ 610mm length (hmm... 24", just right for me!!)
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I use the 660 mm 1.5" EC 70 bars and have had no problems even after a couple of crashes. Great bars!